Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Breakfast Time at Hampton Inn drive you nuts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Breakfast Time at Hampton Inn drive you nuts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
It beats no breakfast. Sort of.

Some are not too bad; some are.

As a follow up to a previous post, I get a muffin and coffee. If they are the dried up little ones I get two, muffins not coffee. If they are the big fluffy moist ones, just one. If I am really fortunate, I can get a non-poultry sausage, the turkey ones are almost inedible, on a plain bagel instead of the fluffy muffin. I stash a banana or a yogurt cup for lunch. As the fruit bowl is often empty or contains only almost wax apples by evening, I stash an extra banana for an evening snack.

And, please, please, please get to-go coffee cups that hold about 20-24 ounces. Hide them in the room for HH Diamonds and possibly Golds so the riff-raff does not suck all of the coffee out of the usually almost empty carafes or urns.

Thanks,

Ink

(End of obviously self-indulgent mini rant.)
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
And, please, please, please get to-go coffee cups that hold about 20-24 ounces. Hide them in the room for HH Diamonds and possibly Golds so the riff-raff does not suck all of the coffee out of the usually almost empty carafes or urns.

Thanks,

Ink
A Hampton peeve of mine is that I often make tea in my room, and would prefer larger, lobby-sized cups in-room, not the tinier ones.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Never an issue for me....

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
A Hampton peeve of mine is that I often make tea in my room, and would prefer larger, lobby-sized cups in-room, not the tinier ones.
For about 8 years now, I ALWAYS pack my own coffee cup. Actually, for many reasons. First of all, I can stuff a couple pairs of socks or whatever I want to in the cup...it doesn't weigh much and it doesn't take up much room.

I take the one that I bought at Starbucks many years ago. I'm sure I have purchased another one along the way, but these things are pretty much fool-proof. If I am schlepping my luggage, computer case, and whatever else I have in my hands, I can still carry this mug sideways, or upside down for that matter, and it just won't spill or drip! Heck, I've even dropped it one time from a desk I was working at and the darn thing cracked and STILL didn't spill or leak!!!!

One of the things that I refused to use early on in hotels was plastic utensils and plastic cups. I have a very small plastic container that holds a fork, spoon, can opener with bottle opener on end and I tuck it in my carry on. This way, I never have to use plastic utensils and I never have to worry about the cr*ppy cups and a lot of hotels. Even the nice thick paper ones can't be turned sideways without spilling (when I'm checking out and my hands are full).

Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:53 pm

I can assure you....

Originally Posted by Companycar
I think you are missing the point here. It's not that these are poor little old ladies that haven't traveled in 30 years they are selfish slobs most of the time who are only worried about themselves and what they can get for free. I am extremely considerate of other people's time and I have proper manners why should I respect these slack jawed yokels. It takes effort to be organized and to think about others who don't have time to stare at you while you slice a banana in your cereal.
I can assure you, I am not missing the point. I know what you are talking about. I feel the same way when I hear bad (horrific) grammar....especially in the work place. Others may be more tolerant than I am, but it is one of those things that I need to work on more because people come from all walks of life...different experiences, different opportunties, different parents, different home life...you name it. I'm not suggesting that the breakfast fiasco are a bunch of seniors that don't know how to work a waffle maker or understand the proper "flow" to a breakfast buffet, I'm simply stating that when I feel this way, the whole pretend it is my mom snaps some compassion into me. (Trust me, this whole mom thing only happened AFTER she passed--I'm no saint--just trying to evolve.) Not to be confused with her being a senior, just very different than me.

I saw myself in your post and I see myself often in situations like this and as I get older, I try to be more tolerant in ALL situations given that we all have such different backgrounds/circumstances (trust me, there are some things that you do that people are as equally irritated with you because you don't do it the "right way")....but I'm a work in progress. I've said it before, it's the "World According to Garp Syndrome." We all have it to some degree. Basically, if you are driving faster than me, you are going to fast--if you are driving slower than me, you are going to cause an accident! I think George Carlin also got a lot of mileage on that one too.

I just appreciated the post because it was a gentle reminder to me to keep on working on it.....that's all.

So thank you.

Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
It isn't just Hampton Inns -- other buffet-breakfast-included chains, such as Homewood Suites, have exactly the same problems. Heck, it isn't even just Hilton chains -- it's all of them!
Hyatt Place.... ecchhh. At least they got rid of those Amerisuites Waffle Machines ;-)
Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Generally, I like Hampton Inns. However, their breakfasts are horrible. There is NO cooking happening in those kitchens--just re-warming. Nothing like re-warmed "omelets" or plastic "gravy." Therefore, I haven't noticed the problems navigating the breakfasts, as I generally avoid them.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
If I am in your way, just tell me and I will step aside. I have no way of telling how important you are otherwise.

btw I do know how to work the waffle makers. But, sometimes I can be baffled by the microwave.

p.s. I find most people have been quite courteous in the breakfast room. Actually, they are usually friendly and nice. Most of my travels are in the midwest and south. Maybe it's a regional thing.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by blue47
If I am in your way, just tell me and I will step aside. I have no way of telling how important you are otherwise.

btw I do know how to work the waffle makers. But, sometimes I can be baffled by the microwave.

p.s. I find most people have been quite courteous in the breakfast room. Actually, they are usually friendly and nice. Most of my travels are in the midwest and south. Maybe it's a regional thing.
Really now, you should recognize how important I am without me having to tell you. Just stay out of my way, and I will not need to ask you. See, simple.

I travel nationwide, and I assure you that it is not a regional thing. People are just bewildered in an unfamiliar setting. The toaster/microwave/waffle maker, especially the waffle maker, are different from the ones at home. Most folks stay one night and move on. They do not get to "learn" the system and flow. Those of us that are road weary know the pattern.

I find the experience is improved by four simple things to say:

"Excuse me..."

"I'm sorry"

"Please"

and "Thanks!"

Repeated liberally and at the appropriate times will greatly reduce most travel-related angst. The breakfast bar is the extreme test, though.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Jun 27, 2010 at 7:20 pm Reason: Forgot to say please. Momma would not be happy.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
I can assure you, I am not missing the point. I know what you are talking about. I feel the same way when I hear bad (horrific) grammar....especially in the work place. Others may be more tolerant than I am, but it is one of those things that I need to work on more because people come from all walks of life...different experiences, different opportunties, different parents, different home life...you name it. I'm not suggesting that the breakfast fiasco are a bunch of seniors that don't know how to work a waffle maker or understand the proper "flow" to a breakfast buffet, I'm simply stating that when I feel this way, the whole pretend it is my mom snaps some compassion into me. (Trust me, this whole mom thing only happened AFTER she passed--I'm no saint--just trying to evolve.) Not to be confused with her being a senior, just very different than me.

I saw myself in your post and I see myself often in situations like this and as I get older, I try to be more tolerant in ALL situations given that we all have such different backgrounds/circumstances (trust me, there are some things that you do that people are as equally irritated with you because you don't do it the "right way")....but I'm a work in progress. I've said it before, it's the "World According to Garp Syndrome." We all have it to some degree. Basically, if you are driving faster than me, you are going to fast--if you are driving slower than me, you are going to cause an accident! I think George Carlin also got a lot of mileage on that one too.

I just appreciated the post because it was a gentle reminder to me to keep on working on it.....that's all.

So thank you.

I undertand your point and I am a strong believer in Karma, but over the past few years I have become tired of the self pleasing, self centered Public. To give you an example earlier this year I was driving down I 85 and passed a guy well dressed and pulling luggage walking down the freeway.

I stopped and asked him was everything OK as I didn't see a broken down car for miles so It was a little odd. He said he just got fired and they took his company car and he had no way back to Raleigh. The guy had walked for miles he said and no one had stopped. His wife was with the kids and had headed his way but wouldn't be there for hours so he just started walking.

I drove him until we met up with his wife around Greensboro. What kills me about the general public is they for the most part could care less that this person was obviously stranded. He said that I was the only one to stop and that just makes me think I know the rest of the drivers see him, but just refuse to take time and help someone out.

The people at the Breakfast bar know what they are doing but because the rest of the public is so self centered they just join the crowd rather than show any manners.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
because the rest of the public is so self centered they just join the crowd rather than show any manners.
wow. generalized indictment of the population. come to Texas and have a beer with me to relax and ponder. a few of my friends do have manners.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 6:24 am

Awesome....

Originally Posted by Companycar
I undertand your point and I am a strong believer in Karma, but over the past few years I have become tired of the self pleasing, self centered Public. To give you an example earlier this year I was driving down I 85 and passed a guy well dressed and pulling luggage walking down the freeway.

I stopped and asked him was everything OK as I didn't see a broken down car for miles so It was a little odd. He said he just got fired and they took his company car and he had no way back to Raleigh. The guy had walked for miles he said and no one had stopped. His wife was with the kids and had headed his way but wouldn't be there for hours so he just started walking.

I drove him until we met up with his wife around Greensboro. What kills me about the general public is they for the most part could care less that this person was obviously stranded. He said that I was the only one to stop and that just makes me think I know the rest of the drivers see him, but just refuse to take time and help someone out.

The people at the Breakfast bar know what they are doing but because the rest of the public is so self centered they just join the crowd rather than show any manners.

Wow....really nice that you did that....there are some awesome caring people in this world and you are obviously one of them. I appreciate you sharing your story.

While I don't actually believe in "karma" (not my religion--that theory is based on Buddhism), I certainly believe in reaping what you sow...., which I believe is the same thing really.

I hope if I am broken down on the road some day that someone like you will drive by!

Dawn
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:43 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
this has become an OMNI thread
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
this has become an OMNI thread
That's pretty much the way it started. Despite valiant attempts to redirect by InkUnderNails and kymbakitty, the thread wasn't about Hampton breakfast offerings, but about people who weren't good enough to share space with the OP.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's pretty much the way it started. Despite valiant attempts to redirect by InkUnderNails and kymbakitty, the thread wasn't about Hampton breakfast offerings, but about people who weren't good enough to share space with the OP.
Okay, now I am impressed. If you had told me first thing this morning that I would called "valiant" in a HI breakfast thread before lunch, I would have spewed coffee all over my keyboard.

Never been called valiant before, and I have been called lots of things.

Thanks. At least I think it should be "thanks."

Valiant. Yep, kinda like the sound of that. Okay, off the self-provided pedestal and back to work. It's just a breakfast thread.

Ink
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I wish I was that arrogant because to often I feel I let people get the best of me. For example if I'm running on the Treadmill at HI and someone is waiting I'll cut my run back to 2 miles that's 17min and I feel it's not right to hog the Treadmill, but not everyone is that way.

Last week this guy had been on the treadmill for 45 min "walking" Give me a break, but I know why he stayed so long because there was a hot girl on the elliptical machine next to him and he saw that I was waiting but just kept on dragging his hooves.

Trust me I don't think I'm better than anyone just expect to much from the general public that's all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.