Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New Procedure For Earning Bonus Hilton Honors Points for Car Rental

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Procedure For Earning Bonus Hilton Honors Points for Car Rental

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
You will need to provide your HHonors account number to the reservation agent with National when securing your car rental. National send us a weekly file of members to credit.
Just out of curiosity, do you know the reasons behind why Hilton Hotels Corporation decided to change the implementation of this policy?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Hello,

You will need to provide your HHonors account number to the reservation agent with National when securing your car rental. National send us a weekly file of members to credit.

Thanks,
Teresa (HHonorsRepresentative)
Is there a way to add an HH number when booking with National online?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Just out of curiosity, do you know the reasons behind why Hilton Hotels Corporation decided to change the implementation of this policy?
I wouldnt be surprised to learn when renting using the Hilton code that not only will ones acct get the 250 pts but that Hilton will get some $ per rental

Just a guess on my part
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:00 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hello,

It isn't a policy change, but more of a process change. The benefit still exists, it is just processed differently now.

Thanks,
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by pmaddock
Hello,

You will need to inquire with National Car Rental, as I do not have this information.

Thanks,
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:38 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by linsj
I have.
I have, too, but that was prior to this processing change - I'm wondering if you've done this since the change? The only way I know of to provide National with my HH number online is to select HH as my reward partner on the National website, which is an either/or selection versus National Rental Credits.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Yes, go into your account online and add it as a reward preference.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Hello,

It isn't a policy change, but more of a process change. The benefit still exists, it is just processed differently now.

Thanks,
It does seem like a policy change. Instead we get HH pts from the reservation with National vs "in conjunction" with National. Thus, we don't get anymore pts from National for National reservations (or airline pts).

Before we got bonus points from Hilton for reservations with National AND National points.

Now we only get 1. That seems like a policy change to me.

HHR:

1. When did this change occur?
2. Why did we not get notified?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:56 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
It does seem like a policy change. Instead we get HH pts from the reservation with National vs "in conjunction" with National. Thus, we don't get anymore pts from National for National reservations (or airline pts).

Before we got bonus points from Hilton for reservations with National AND National points.

Now we only get 1. That seems like a policy change to me.
Yes, that was my earlier question/point, although you stated it more clearly than I did!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:21 pm

I am an long-time Emerald Club member and find this inconvenient at best, although I will still take advantage of this offer.

I never go to the counter at National Car Rental. It usually only takes me a couple of minutes to check out the car at the exit once I choose a vehicle at the Emerald Aisle. Now the process will take longer if I want to collect the 250 Hilton HHonors points that I have earned, and I have to now do it in the car outside at the gate.

I do not know about anyone else, but I would much rather first get to the hotel property to receive my Hilton HHonors points. Additionally, as others have stated, I want to earn both National and Hilton HHonors points — one of the “Double-Dipping” procedures of which is a main marketing point of the Hilton HHonors frequent guest loyalty program — but apparently can no longer do so.

This may be a minor inconvenience, but I would much prefer the former way of collecting 250 Hilton HHonors points for renting a car.

I am requesting that Hilton please revisit this procedure.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I never go to the counter at National Car Rental. It usually only takes me a couple of minutes to check out the car at the exit once I choose a vehicle at the Emerald Aisle. Now the process will take longer if I want to collect the 250 Hilton HHonors points that I have earned, and I have to now do it in the car outside at the gate.
The process is actually shorter because you put it in your profile and automatically get the points, rather than waiting for the hotel clerk to check the keys or rental agreement and figure out to enter it in the computer where half the time it never "took," so you (or at least I) had to call the Honors line to get the points posted.

I like the new process except when I'm at multiple hotels per trip when I'd get more points than under the new system.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:34 am

Hello,

We are always looking for ways to automate and improve our processes. Instead of a Hilton team member processing your car rental credit, you can now simply add your HHonors numbers to your Emerald Club profile. Alternatively you may provide your HHonors number when you pick up your rental with National Car Rental or Alamo Rent A Car. In addition, not requiring a hotel stay in conjunction with your car rental aligns the policy with the majority of our other car rental partners, which actually lifts a restriction in allowing you to take advantage of this earning opportunity for all of your rentals. Finally, this means we now have the technology in place to do promotions offering increased bonus points for rentals with National and Alamo. Keep checking your e-mail inbox and the HHonors web site for these bonus point offers.

To address the question from mnredfox and Canarsie, the Hilton HHonors Double Dipping® program feature allows members to earn both hotel points and/or airline miles – unfortunately not car rental credits. The ability to earn car rental credits or air/hotel miles through Emerald Club is managed by Emerald Club, not Hilton HHonors.

Thanks,
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:33 am

The ability to earn car rental credits or air/hotel miles through Emerald Club is managed by Emerald Club, not Hilton HHonors.
I did not know this.

Thank you, Teresa.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, National Executive, SkyTeam Elite
Teresa from HHonors, thanks for your replies on my post. Correct me if I am wrong, but with the previous position of checking in at the desk and showing your National keys you were credited with 250 bonus points for each stay. Often, I will have 2, 3 or even 4 different stays during one week car rental and collected the 250 bonus points on each stay. With this new policy, I will receive only 250 bonus points for the entire car rental. Also, previously I was able to receive National rental credits and as an Emerald Exec would get a free car rental day for every 6 rentals from National. Now, if I choose the 250 HH bonus point option that will be in lieu of receiving the rental credits from National. I'd rather that HH would just continue adding the car bonus at the hotel check in. Thanks for listening.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by linsj
...rather than waiting for the hotel clerk to check the keys or rental agreement....
I have never had the clerk ask for keys or contract, just which company.

I would say, though, the 25-30% of them had no idea of what the "Rental Car bonus" was, and I have had to instruct them and usually give them the two-letter code.

However, I believe that from now on, all my future rentals will be from Thrifty....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.