Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Is there no promo to help maintain Diamond/Gold status for 2010?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there no promo to help maintain Diamond/Gold status for 2010?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2009, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
It does matter in the argumentation of some posters: "Economy is down so I do not have to travel so much for business and I loose my wonderful status and I want HH to give it to me for cheap or free". If these posters are not self employed a "somebody" pays for their travel and status. There are other posters here who do it the proactive way and pay for the required stays out of their own pocket. I belong to that second group and I do not want to see my efforts diluted by giving aways status for free to those "underperformers"
But does Hh care where the source of the funds come from? I don't think so.. in the end.. did the customer pay for (who cares from what bucket) X# of nights..

on the dilution.. why wouldn't that be true for biz travelers. a biz traveler doesn't want his/her nights diluted either or do they not care?

my point is that source of funds is irrelevant from the Hh point of view.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I'm grabing several Hampton Inn stays in my area (checking in but not staying) to keep my status. Unlike others, I find that my Diamond status is worth it. I have always found the benefits, rewards and Diamond folks very worthwhile.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
my point is that source of funds is irrelevant from the Hh point of view.
Agreed, TrojanHorse. We are paying HH with our loyalty. I made diamond the last two years on base points, >$10K of spending. Whether I'm using the company's money or not, I'm still the one sleeping in the bed at night and signing the room service check. I stay in Hiltons because of the perks and the ability to take my husband on a nice vacation every now and again.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: AC50k, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Club
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I fly 150,000+ BIS miles annually and achieve SPG/HH stays via paid stays - out of my own pocket, not a company expense account. For the past 7 years, I have earned well over 200,000 base points/per year. W/the end of the rolling tier qualification, I will end up just shy of the 100,000 Diamond qualification marker.
Just curious; are these all pleasure trips? If they are business trips, then somebody is paying for it. Perhaps indirectly, perhaps not, but your clients are paying for this.

Just like mine are. Only difference is that you 'sign' your own expense reports, and if you are a sole proprietorship or partnership, you are your own shareholder.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
My travel is also down this year due to the economy and corporate travel reduction. I decided that Hilton Diamond is no longer what it used to be, especially if my international travels are drastically reduced. So it doesn't bother me if I drop down to Gold for 2010. It never occured to me to consider whether Hilton will offer me a Fast Track or not.

Once I decided not to bother trying to requalify for Diamond, I was able to take advantage of Hyatt promotions this fall and enjoyed the benefits of Hyatt Gold Passport, even though I only made Platinum.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I certainly read your post and said I do not fancy these shortcuts at all. I don fancy them when you beg for it and I even fancy them less if a chain gives them away to each and everybody.

However, I see a certain difference between your example of a broken leg and the example of a "broken economy". You were certainly not able to travel or to a mattress run due to circumstances you could not overcome and this is different to the case of the HH member who does not want to spend his/her own dime for a few extra stays to requalify.

I will not "feel the pain" because a chain giving away status for small bucks will no longer be on top of my travel agenda. This is what clearly happend to Hilton. In the old days I was a clear Hilton guy. But in 2009? I gave more than 60 nights to InterConti - their RA status has to be earned the hard way (or bought on ebay for real money) - and they treat me very well. I still give a lot of stays to Starwood because they offer good service to their "Platinum Plus" members via the private Ambassador. Perfect. Finally Hitlon: I have 30 stays, but 25 of these at one hotel only: This one hotel gives me constant suite upgrades and treat me high above the normal Diamond member.

What happens if a programm gets totally diluted because you can get highest status with a few stays only can be seen at IHG one again: Priority Club Platinum buys you close to nothing (however, I got requalified this year after 8 stays only). If you want to experience the same with Hilton Diamond, just appreciate and ask for these fast tracks. This policy must end in a dilution of the perks. And: Hilton will feel the pain because the real frequent travellers might go somewhere else....
The program is designed for the benefit of the corporation. If they want to give it away to different people for different reasons, that's how it is.

Hospitals charge different people different rates for the same procedures.

Lawyers probably charge differently based on what the client negotiates.

I don't understand the resentment towards people that negotiate the best deal for themselves when the corporation has been shown to modify their policies upon request or due to their own marketing decisions.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by furballs
Just curious; are these all pleasure trips?
My trips are also 100 % paid by myself. There is not a single business journey.

I slept myself to Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum and to Hyatt Diamond Further to that to M&M Senator and to bmi Gold
Old Dec 15, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: AC50k, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Club
Originally Posted by nissan motor
My trips are also 100 % paid by myself. There is not a single business journey.

I slept myself to Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum and to Hyatt Diamond Further to that to M&M Senator and to bmi Gold
Sigh - only wish I had that much time for pleasure travel!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

For those seeking to maintain DM without the required number of stays, have you tried to simply ask HH to give you a 1 year extension? You never know...
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

For those seeking to maintain DM without the required number of stays, have you tried to simply ask HH to give you a 1 year extension? You never know...
i actually know someone who got the extension....she has been diamond for many years but her travel came to a halt this year as she was pregnant....she just started traveling again last month & there was no way she would have made diamond again before the end of this year....she wrote to the diamond desk explaining her position & asked if there was a fast track available....they replied the next day stating that since she was spending well over a 100 nights a year in hilton properties, there was no need for a fast track & they would be happy to extend her status for another year....
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:06 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
To the OP and others who haven't reached the status they are usually at (or want) this year. I was in this boat until a week ago. My situation is, I am a usual silver VIP. I usually stay around 20 nights a year at hiltons. They are paid 100% from my pocket. But since I am not a one night/stay kind of person I never got the gold vip.
This year, I racked up 29 nights on 2 stays, but I did accumulate just under 55k base points.
I called HHONORS and told them I am planing a two/three nights stay this holiday and I was between hilton and spg hotel. I have explained that if I choose hilton I will qualify to gold vip through base points. I asked them if they were willing to upgrade me to gold prior to my arrival so I can use the benefits.
At first I was told they won't, but after speaking with the supervisor I was upgraded to gold vip.

Just before someone jumps in with the lier assumption, yes I am going to stay at hilton this holiday, and yes I will easily qualify after my stay (if they hadn't upgraded me already).

My point is, if you are close, they will consider upgrading you.. And according to the supervisor I spoke with, gold vip is more flexible than diamond..

I hope this helps someone..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.