Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Increased Points Required for Reward Redemption as of January 2010; New Category 7

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increased Points Required for Reward Redemption as of January 2010; New Category 7

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spacelucky
I thought GLON and GLONP only require status, not the AMEX card.
Maybe you are correct -- I have not concentrated on Hilton for so long as their promotions -- when they have them, that is, -- are parsimonius to say the least, and therefore, they have fallen off the cliff where I am concerned.

If that is correct, what are the AMEX special awards called?

In addition, if correct, it could bode ill inasmuch as they are not mentioned -- or, it could mean nothing, at all.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:44 pm
une

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR

If that is correct, what are the AMEX special awards called?
The Amex rewards are AXON. They increased the points for those this year. It used to be 125K points for categories 5 and 6 for 4 nights. The category 6 went up to 145K for 4 nights.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
The whizz kids at Marriott Rewards did a points devaluation as the recession started about one year ago.

Surprise surprise business plummeted--not helped by loyal Marriott customers like me bolting.

So this year Marriott had to give double elite points, excess points counting towards elite status in 2012 etc. over and above the usual promotions such as Megabonus.

Now the geniuses at Hilton are trying the same.

I guess Hilton's hedge fund owners Blackstone already wrote off $22 billion of their investment recently--what's a few more billion written off in the future as Hilton's most loyal customers will seek greener pastures.

First we have the alleged criminals from Denizen. Then the brilliant managers in charge of the Diamond Desk. Now the geniuses at HHONORs. Its reassuring to know that CEO Chris Nasetta is firmly in charge....

Last edited by travelexpert; Oct 13, 2009 at 11:57 am
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:31 pm
Suspended

I will just add that Marriott just decreased the Category level of some of their Hawaiian properties, as well. Ostensibly it was to bring them in line with the new award schedule for vacation clubs that are redeemable with MR points. Be that as it may, the Marriott Waikoloa is now a Category 5 hotel -- the one within 500 feet of the Hilton, and it has the better beach, as well.

Also devalued to a Category 6 is the Marriott Wailea, and perhaps others.

Had very little of my business go to Marriot this year and none ot Hilton except an award redemption.

Hyatt and SPG are the winners IMHO. Great customer service and very good promotions. That is what the public wants from a hotel chain, and they deliver.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
For reference: Current
Code:
Hotel Category    
              Opportunity      1         2         3         4         5         6
Points for One   
Free Night       7,500      10,000    20,000    25,000    30,000    35,000    40,000
(Standard)

Reward Code      OP01        C101      C201      C301      C401      C501      C601
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by spacelucky
I thought GLON and GLONP only require status, not the AMEX card.
And I am quite positive that your are perfectly right
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Churnman
I also believe the US dollar will increase in value against the Euro this summer (2010). So, don't look too much at the dollar to see where points are headed. It is headed down further in the short term, but will do better this coming year for too many reasons to mention here.
You are really an optimist. US Government uses the printing press to finance the crisis (one thing Europe can't do that uncontrolled, because there is no national currency) and is in urgent need of inflation to pay back state debts and interest.The US export driven industry loves the weak dollar, the one, who suffers, is the US consumer. From a European position I long to see the Greenback at 110 or 120 again, but I more expect the Dollar to stay at 150 at the best....
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You are really an optimist. US Government uses the printing press to finance the crisis (one thing Europe can't do that uncontrolled, because there is no national currency) and is in urgent need of inflation to pay back state debts and interest.The US export driven industry loves the weak dollar, the one, who suffers, is the US consumer. From a European position I long to see the Greenback at 110 or 120 again, but I more expect the Dollar to stay at 150 at the best....
I'm not so much an optimist about the U.S. economy, but rather see investors' flight to safety in the dollar by this summer. I believe the dollar will see the bottom by the end of this year. I don't believe it will be a huge difference by summer, but maybe $1.40 to 1Euro or maybe even a little better. In the long term, the Euro will strengthen. But, I'm just focused on the year ahead at this point.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by sharklover
I thought the individual hotels benefit from an increase in points required. Am I wrong?
In some places yes, but not in French Polynesia. They are really hurting due to the U.S. economy hindering travelers from going to FP. So, when a traveler knows they can stay in Tahiti, Moorea or Bora Bora free x number of nights for free they are more willing to pay to fly there (big expense), pay for upgrades and pay for more nights, pay for the really expensive food and pay for excursions. When we were there this past July the resort was about 30 to 40% full, so having us there on points meant they made money when they wouldn't have if we hadn't had enough points for some free nights. We also paid cash for upgrades and ate most of our meals at the hotel.

FP does a lot just to try to get people to come there. If categories are raised at resorts, requiring more points, it will only limit the travelers who would otherwise come there. As I stated before, Starwood tried raising the point requirements and they soon lost those resorts to Hilton.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Oh man! - I finally came back to Hilton this year and registered for the promos and made Gold. Now they are going to devalue the points on me. Someone just shoot me - what was I thinking?

I gave this hotel chain another chance but its just not fair game anymore.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by christianj
Mods: I would like to suggest that the title of the thread be changed to something like "HH new Cat. 7 and increasing redemption rates Jan. 2010". This would help let everyone on FT know what is going to happen in Jan. with the HH program.
Thanks mods for changing the title of the thread.....traffic has really picked up and now I think most FT HH members will at least take a look at the thread and the impending changes.

Just throwing this out there but I assume that the WA awards are also going to go up in price if they add a Cat. 7 award! A hint of this can be seen in the link the OP posted which showed the WA VIP awards costing 42.5k during the low season for Cat. A WA properties. That's more than the properties cost now at 40K! It also would not make sense for Cat. 7 awards to cost between 45-50k (an estimate) and have WA properties available at 40k during the low season.

Just food for thought...I think we will see a new Cat. 7 (which will cost b/t 45-50k per night) and an increase in the WA award costs in January. My estimate on WA properties is that the lowest (Cat. A) property will cost at least 50k during the low season and up to 60k in the high season.

Last edited by christianj; Oct 13, 2009 at 9:16 am
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:28 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
With the exception of programs that have introduced Cash & Points award offers, the one certainty in loyalty programs is your points and miles will be worth less as time goes on.

I have been planning to write about the devaluation of airline miles based on reports I have seen showing the value of a mile has decreased 40% or so from 2.5 cents to under 1.5 cents per mile in the past decade as the world is flooded with miles.

Blame credit cards and the banks.

As the points keep churning out the hotels and airlines make cash off selling miles and points. Redemption rates keep rising and the expiration policies of miles and points keep getting shorter timelines to take away what you earned from your hotel stays and credit cards if you stray from spending.

The real kicker is the practice of then selling you back the miles and points you lose from inactivity or paying to transfer miles and points to another account. The airlines and hotels get paid money two or three times for the same miles and points.

Banks and loyalty programs are in bed together and the aim is to keep you spending to earn more points and miles and then spending again to retain your points and miles. This is the marketing intent of the loyalty game.

The loyal guest who earns and burns most points through hotel activity is left behind in this credit card points churning inflationary environment.

Bottom line: Burn as you earn to reduce your chance of getting burned on the value of your loyalty.

Last edited by satori; Oct 15, 2009 at 4:08 am
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:49 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Well, this is just great! I had plans to upgrade to the AMEX Surpass card but now I think I may just give up the regular AMEX card too! Just one more reason to shift my business over to Priority Club...Blackstone geniuses doing their magic once again!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flyinglawyer isn't aware of the fact that a hotel at 40% occupancy really doesn't care about the niceties of the Dollar/Euro parity.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Dia HH
The only good I see of this for Hilton is that the beancounters at HH wanted to get execess points off the books. Since points are a liability on a PnL, lets jack the requirements up so that people will book vacations now and burn through their accounts quicker. Short term strategy with long term repercussions.

Sounds like its going to work in their eyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.