Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Increased Points Required for Reward Redemption as of January 2010; New Category 7

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increased Points Required for Reward Redemption as of January 2010; New Category 7

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Seems crazy that they will be making WA 50,000 in low season. This year I saw many WA hotels selling rooms for close to $100 a night. Even WA NYC was close to $200 when I stayed there a few times. I found it much better to pay the rates then use points on my stays this year. The best use was in Denver where you can get a room at HI for 10,000 points. To me I say points are worth around .066 cents each. The problem is 90% of hotels do not get you that value.
To me they should have a category for 15,000 points a night.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ericgartner
But what I find interesting is that the amount I earn from Hilton has not changed in how many years? 10 points and a 50% bonus for diamond. I have been diamond for many years and don't remember earning anything different.
Sure, the amount has changed. The hotel room was 100 USD (or 20k points) five years back. Now it is 150 USD (and still 20k points). You got 3.000 points five years back and you get 4.500 points now.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
Flyinglawyer isn't aware of the fact that a hotel at 40% occupancy really doesn't care about the niceties of the Dollar/Euro parity.
Flying Lawyer currently rests his tired head in the Berlin Hilton running at 90% occupancy today. The same was true for Munich City yesterday, London Canary Wharf last year. Most European Hiltons are in big centres and not in any remote location and they (a) do not fancy too much to give away rooms for smallish USD amounts and (b) do not suffer too much from the crisis.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Sure, the amount has changed. The hotel room was 100 USD (or 20k points) five years back. Now it is 150 USD (and still 20k points). You got 3.000 points five years back and you get 4.500 points now.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Flying Lawyer currently rests his tired head in the Berlin Hilton running at 90% occupancy today. The same was true for Munich City yesterday, London Canary Wharf last year. Most European Hiltons are in big centres and not in any remote location and they (a) do not fancy too much to give away rooms for smallish USD amounts and (b) do not suffer too much from the crisis.
I think maybe we're on to something here: the difference between Europe and the US. I'm sorry, but I paid more for my US hotels stays 2 or 3 years ago than I do today. I'm about to embark on a 3 stay trip in Orlando and every room will be under $65 (and that includes 2 nights at an HGI for about $55).

The fair answer is to raise the hotels with high rates to higher categories, not to devalue the entire program. Of course, we do need to wait to see what happens when they actually announce the changes.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:55 pm

Question: If I book in early 2010 for 1 year out (for 2011) at still 175,000 point price, do you think I will be able to shift that reservation around -- or will the certificate expire w/n 1 year?
If my memory serves me, when we had a major devalue a few years ago many folks were able to accomplish what you suggest. I have changed my dates of GlonP's with the diamond desk help, but am not certain if the system has now changed. I don't believe there's an "expiration date", per se.
No reason to not try it. At least there's no fees for cancellations. Unless that's coming next.

I don't like this, but nothing with HH surprises me. I didn't use any points this year and hate to see my 700K devalued, but the devaulation of percs (when using my points) bothers me more.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Ultimately whether this is a positive or negative depends on the properties involved. I like the sliding scale for points when you're using 4+ nights for elites (and would hope that if you have 2 rooms at 3 nights per in a hotel that it is 6 nights in price). I don't like not knowing what is what. Will all Cat 6s become Cat 7s? Will that trickle down? Let us know now Hilton, or you're going to end up with a lot of angry elites on this board who will cost a lot of money.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by satori
With the exception of programs that have introduced Cash & Points award offers, the one certainty in loyalty programs is your points and miles will be worth less as time goes on.

I have been planning to write about the devaluation of airline miles based on reports I have seen showing the value of a mile has decreased 40% or so from 2.5 cents to under 1.5 cents per mile in the past decade as the world is flooded with miles.

Blame credit cards and the banks.

As the points keep churning out the hotels and airlines make cash off selling miles and points. Redemption rates keep rising and the expiration policies of miles and points keep getting shorter timelines to take away what you earned from your hotel stays and credit cards if you stary from spending.

The real kicker is the practice of then selling you back the miles and points you lose from inactivity or paying to transfer miles and points to another account. The airlines and hotels get paid money two or three times for the same miles and points.

Banks and loyalty programs are in bed together and the aim is to keep you spending to earn more points and miles and then to retain your points and miles. This is the marketing intent of the loyalty game.

The loyal guest who earns and burns most points through hotel activity is left behind in this points churning inflationary environment.

Bottom line: Burn as you earn to reduce your chance of getting burned on the value of your loyalty.
Yep - Like he said~

Great Post.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ericgartner

And here is a new VIP award chart at this site. It has a cat 7 listed.
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/ts/en_US/..._9-25-2009.pdf
Hilton has taken down this site also.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
It appears that Hilton have pulled all of the documents being referred to at the moment (and probably told off someone who posted them early!) - would someone be able to summarise the changes or re-upload the PDF? Sadly I came to this thread a day too late.

Good find though ericgartner - thanks, its good to know in advance. Makes the current 75k for 12 stays a little less attractive!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:31 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Good find though ericgartner - thanks, its good to know in advance. Makes the current 75k for 12 stays a little less attractive!
+1. Thanks for sharing the info too. I try to redeem as many points as possible by JAN 14. When I was almost ready to leave HH, they just made it easier for me to say ciao.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by deant
Hilton has taken down this site also.
Still up as of 10/14 AM
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:43 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by skimple
Still up as of 10/14 AM
The PDF link show just a blank sheet on my computer. Is it one of those encode problems I continue to get the blank page?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Nope - its a document with only the one text object - which is empty. Last edited 10/13. To make sure, both font text color and background are the same.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:05 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
As far as I recall the pdf had two tables, you can see a screenshot of the first table (vip award rates starting 2010) at http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...gory-7-hotels/ - I've actually forgotten what the other was about.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by freakazoid
I've actually forgotten what the other was about.
The other one was for the VIP awards at WA properties.

Last edited by christianj; Oct 14, 2009 at 7:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.