Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

return of rental: airport versus off-airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

return of rental: airport versus off-airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For longish rentals with luggage etc. a trick is to do a 1-day rental from the airport to an HLE and then book the remaining time as a separate reservation with pick-up from that HLE (at the lowest rates).

All you do is drop by the HLE to "return" the car and check in for your new reservation (oh--surprise--it's the same car! ) at the lower rates.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:48 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by OldRoyal
I had a Hertz agent in Las Vegas tell me that the company has a three-tier rate system for rentals there:
1) HLE -- lowest
2) Airport
3) Strip -- highest
This was correct for advanced reservations in the past. Here is the latest pecking order:

1 - Simply Wheelz
2 - HLE
3 - Airport
4 - Off strip hotel HLE
5 - Strip hotel HLE

This order switches 14 or so days out when loads are low:
1 or 2 - Simply Wheelz
1 or 2 - Hertz Airport
3 HLE
4 - Off strip hotel HLE
5 - Strip hotel HLE

If loads are high, HLEs will be lowest followed by Simply Wheelz and then some spattering of the hotels / airport.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Hertz at SFO appears to add a $17 transportation fee for rentals that I pick up at SFO. If I pick up at a HLE and return to SFO, they don't charge that fee.

I've been wondering if I can talk them into not charging that fee since I don't use airport transportation (train) to get to the airport rental location (I live in the Bay Area and have someone drop me off). I know I had this argument with another rental company a few years ago when the fee was around $10 and a manager agreed to waive it.
IME some agencies let you sign a form that reads "I did not arrive at XYZ (airport code) within the last 24 hours." However, I've only had this at off-site locations (e.g. Enterprise) and never at an in-terminal counter. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.