Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:32 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
JFK (One-Way to Manhattan)
Reserved: C
Received: YQ 2015 Chevrolet Trax AWD. LTZ trim with sunroof and only 575 miles on the odometer.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
DCA
Premium - Nissan Maxima or similar (G)
None
Yes - Mercedes GLK350 (H4)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
LHR
Booked: Compact (Ford Focus or similar)
Received: Toyota Avensis, only 600 miles on the clock (X)

The Avensis was great, though probably even more boring than a Camry, it was still a decent upgrade on an hilariously low rate (it's an insurance replacement, but one I had to book myself) and in excellent condition. However while it was probably the new car smell, it did seem to have a slight smell of smoke so I went to the gold desk where they offered to exchange the car straight out, rather than inspect it with me. The result?

Took: 2015 Audi A4 Avant (wagon) manual with 3k miles - an incredibly nice car given that it is in group I, where the example is Octavia estate or similar. The automatic is in group J and the automatic saloon is the example premium car.

Oh and the rate - £70 all in for the week, or to put it in US terms, $15 a day including fees, taxes and LDW.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
I noticed an Avensis when I was at LHR over Easter.

Luckily, they gave me a Mazda 6 2.2d SE-L - also an X Group - for my D reservation. It was an excellent car - infinitely preferable to an Avensis, and indeed probably anything else in that class.

I was driving down the M4 this morning towards London, and lo, the very car I had came tanking past me. (LN14LKK).
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:34 am

I *still* haven't had a 6 out of LHR in 20-odd rentals! (Nor anywhere else, for that matter. That and the SEAT Leon are probably the two most common cars in the normal fleet that I haven't driven.

Edit: and the MG saloons that are running around in Group D, but I don't intend to start.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
I've not had an MG6 yet either. They are supposed to be better than you might think. I would be quite interested in trying one, to see for myself.

The Leon is excellent. probably my favourite car in Group C. I've had a couple, one in UK and one in Spain. My conclusions can be found here .

There will be a review of the Mazda 6 posted in due course, too.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
HNL
Gold Plus, no status
Booked: Full Size
Assigned: 300C
Received: Brand New 300C with 1500 miles, new car smell, but very basic package.

I want to like the car as it is significantly better than the predecessor, but it's missing few basic things like HID lights, corner sensors, GPS (has a big screen though) and rain sensing wipers. Thought those things were pretty much standard like 5 years ago. The car also looks silly on those 17 inch wheels with massive tire wall.

Still, ride quality is excellent and handling is quite nice and precise. The V6 is very potent, but too quiet for my liking. lack of gear change options kinda sucks too...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aces_high
it's missing few basic things like HID lights, corner sensors, GPS (has a big screen though) and rain sensing wipers. Thought those things were pretty much standard like 5 years ago. The car also looks silly on those 17 inch wheels with massive tire wall.
I don't know about the 300, but my Lexus did not come standard with any of those options. I had to pay extra for them and paid about $55k. I don't think any sub-$65k vehicles have all of those options as standard on a base model.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aces_high
HNL
Gold Plus, no status
Booked: Full Size
Assigned: 300C
Received: Brand New 300C with 1500 miles, new car smell, but very basic package.

I want to like the car as it is significantly better than the predecessor, but it's missing few basic things like HID lights, corner sensors, GPS (has a big screen though) and rain sensing wipers. Thought those things were pretty much standard like 5 years ago. The car also looks silly on those 17 inch wheels with massive tire wall.

Still, ride quality is excellent and handling is quite nice and precise. The V6 is very potent, but too quiet for my liking. lack of gear change options kinda sucks too...
Are you sure you got a 300C instead of just the 300? The 2015 300C has NAV as a standard feature unlike previous years which required a package or upgrade. HID/corner sensors still require an optional package on the 2015.
Old May 2, 2015, 7:34 pm

LGA (One-Way into Manhattan)
Reserved: F
Received: Q4 2013 Nissan Rogue AWD. Base S trim, Maryland plates, and 47,500 miles on the odometer.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
SLC
PC (yup!)
G
Yes: I - 2015 Buick LaCrosse w/ 8449 miles

My friend even said "that's not a Buick!"

EDIT: and they forgot to take the free day certificates AGAIN!!!!!

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; May 3, 2015 at 8:47 pm
Old May 6, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
BUD

Platinum
Reserved cheapest economy (Suzuki Swift)
Received curbside a new Kia Sportage, automatic, diesel with sat-nav and sunroof, with German plates and a Hungarian vignette. I'm not sure the German plates were a good thing though. Not so many fans of Deutscheland here.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
FLL
PC
G
No - 2015 Impala LTZ

I actually meant to book this for Saturday... I hope that Impala is still waiting by then

-J.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:42 pm

Sunbury (about 15 minutes south of LHR)
Rented: D (Intermediate - Skoda Octavia or similar)
Received: Z - Ford Focus estate with nav

Not much of an upgrade this, given that a Focus hatchback is a C. Not only that, it's the utterly gutless (103 hp) and thirsty (37 mpg UK/31 mpg US) version, lugging around an estate body. This is despite referring to my status and requesting a diesel in the booking.

Went to LHR to change it... they were completely out of cars, so I'm stuck with it for the weekend. The worst bit is that if you're stuck behind a slow driver you think... "I'll floor it to get around them," and it turns out that you shift down, floor it and more or less keep up with traffic.

Last edited by Cymro; May 13, 2015 at 4:27 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 5:30 am

JFK (One-Way to Jersey City)
Reserved: C
Assigned: F6 Toyota Camry

I spotted a fire-engine red C4 2015 Cruze LTZ in Gold Choice and took that instead. 1,800 miles, sunroof, leather, and RS appearance package; pretty much fully-loaded.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 11, 2015 at 7:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.