Wiki Posts
Search

sunroof counts as upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:55 am
Original Poster

sunroof counts as upgrade?

Has anyone run into this?

I'm 5 star member & rented a full size 4door at Houston Hobby. Plenty of prem. class (and all other class) cars on lot but they refused to upgrade without paying. They said that because the car they had given me had a sunroof it was an upgrade - since sunroofs are non-reservable.

To me thats like saying that It's hot in Houston. Since colors are non-reservable and white cars reflect heat a bit better than dark cars, a white car is an upgrade.

Does anyone here consider a Taurus with a sunroof a car class upgrade from a Taurus without a sunroof? Did I mis-read the 5 star program - is it any upgrade and not a car class upgrade?
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Doesn't sound like an upgrade to me. A full size is a full size no matter how you slice it. Sunroof or not, it's still a full size. Sounds to me like they were feeding you a line of bull.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:09 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I've had this line before. I reserved a Y and got a YF (which is a specialty Full Size -- usually any non-Fords or extra options such as leather or the sunroof). One location insisted that counted as the upgrade... I think it was SEA, which I've had lots of other problems with.

I did not ask Hertz Corporate what they thought of it, but I thought it was pretty slimey, too.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by pitflyer
I've had this line before. I reserved a Y and got a YF (which is a specialty Full Size -- usually any non-Fords or extra options such as leather or the sunroof). One location insisted that counted as the upgrade... I think it was SEA, which I've had lots of other problems with.
Had the same line at SJC for my PC upgrade -- YC instead of a C was apparently an "upgrade."

Although I forgive them, since this week they let me take home an A8L for a $25/day upgrade fee over my C reservation...
Old Aug 28, 2005, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by ctexal
Does anyone here consider a Taurus with a sunroof a car class upgrade from a Taurus without a sunroof? Did I mis-read the 5 star program - is it any upgrade and not a car class upgrade?
Given the number of times I've reserved a Taurus and gotten a Taurus with leather and a sunroof, I'd say Hertz locations do consider it an upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by ctexal
To me thats like saying that It's hot in Houston. Since colors are non-reservable and white cars reflect heat a bit better than dark cars, a white car is an upgrade.
Last time I was in Phoenix my "upgrade" from the Taurus I'd reserved was a Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, black paint over black leather interior. It had Arizona plates, so it wasn't a transfer from ORD or somewhere where it might have been more appropriate. Fortunately, I was out and about mostly at night, but I still felt like an idiot driving that hearse in the desert.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA-1K(BIS), Marriott-Platinum Premier, Hertz-PC, Fairmont-PC
Originally Posted by SealBeach
Last time I was in Phoenix my "upgrade" from the Taurus I'd reserved was a Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, black paint over black leather interior. It had Arizona plates, so it wasn't a transfer from ORD or somewhere where it might have been more appropriate. Fortunately, I was out and about mostly at night, but I still felt like an idiot driving that hearse in the desert.
I always rent a full size car and got the Taurus until I added to my profile "NO TAURUS" and since then I have almost always got a good upgrade.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:47 pm

Programs: HHonors DM, Airtran Elite, Delta SM
Originally Posted by Dennis.Dunbar@mckesson
I always rent a full size car and got the Taurus until I added to my profile "NO TAURUS" and since then I have almost always got a good upgrade.
So you put in for a full-size BEFORE the upgrade? And put "no Taurus" in your profile?

Are you a President's Circle or are you just using upgrade PCs?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:20 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by bamalawdawg
So you put in for a full-size BEFORE the upgrade? And put "no Taurus" in your profile?

Are you a President's Circle or are you just using upgrade PCs?
I'd be interested to know this as well. I usually rent midsize, and I'm not even 5* (though could be by end of year), and in a few rentals haven't been upgraded at all from midsize. And I sure don't want to drive a Taurus, so that's been fine with me for now. But full size can usually be had for just a few bucks more, and if that meant I got something not a Taurus with that in my profile, well, that could be fun at least sometimes.

Of course, if we all start putting NO TAURUS in our profiles, it ain't gonna work much of the time.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Someone noted that, at least for President's Circle members, a Y-car in the same class as booked is not considered the guaranteed upgrade per Hertz. Mind you, that does not stop me from getting YF's on F bookings at locations like TPA and SEA, though almost all the time I end up with an H (usually a Kia Amanti).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.