Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at IAH; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at IAH; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Was there on Dec 27 trying to exchange a car, and they were out of cars. They had 40 cars and 68 reservations - yikes!

Off the top of my head, PC section had lots of Cadillac sedans. Strangely, they all had their boot open...

I think I took pics on my real camera and not my phone, so I'll try to dig up what inventory they had left on that date. With so many reservations, I'm sure they pulled most of their prestige cars out to fill reservations.
wj2005 and FlyingJayhawk12 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Was there on Dec 27 trying to exchange a car, and they were out of cars. They had 40 cars and 68 reservations - yikes!

Off the top of my head, PC section had lots of Cadillac sedans. Strangely, they all had their boot open...

I think I took pics on my real camera and not my phone, so I'll try to dig up what inventory they had left on that date. With so many reservations, I'm sure they pulled most of their prestige cars out to fill reservations.
Wow that’s crazy! I’m hoping that it being the middle of February they won’t be that busy but who know lol.

Im wanting to do a prestige level vehicle but just wonder if I’ll actually get the one that I reserve if they have that many problems.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by wj2005

Wow that’s crazy! I’m hoping that it being the middle of February they won’t be that busy but who know lol.

Im wanting to do a prestige level vehicle but just wonder if I’ll actually get the one that I reserve if they have that many problems.
Sorry, my mistake I had actually went to Houston Hobby airport (HOU) not IAH, upon review of the picture.
wj2005 likes this.

Last edited by SoroSuub1; Jan 8, 2019 at 7:56 am
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Sorry, my mistake I had actually went to Houston Hobby airport (HOU) not IAH, upon review of the picture.
well I hope IAH is better then lol. It looks like they really aren’t sold out of any classes but 1 so I hope all will be ok.

I was was going to call and ask them a few questions but you can’t get connected to them directly
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by wj2005

well I hope IAH is better then lol. It looks like they really aren’t sold out of any classes but 1 so I hope all will be ok.

I was was going to call and ask them a few questions but you can’t get connected to them directly
When I was at HOU, they said that IAH has a much larger lot so # of cars shouldn't be an issue. I only didn't go to IAH to exchange cars afterwards, because it wasn't on the way (ended up going to AUS instead as part of my trip).
wj2005 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:13 pm

I rented at this location on January, Sunday around 11:30 am. I only looked at the PC section because thats the status I have (earned it the hard way). I found 2 dodge chargers base model, few SUV's from chevy like Tahoe and other brands, lots of chryster 300 regular and 300s model and bunch of other boring sedans like avalon, malibu and impala.

I ended up taking the 2019 Dodge Charger base model with 3k miles because I wanted to try something new. Chrysler 300s is pretty at every airport PC section so kind of tired of that one. Other people have mentioned getting a V8 hemi challenger from this location. I guess my timing wasn't ideal.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Pretty boring selection today in PC just a ton of Impalas, things that look like Impalas, and a bunch of 300s. I spotted one real SUV, a 2019 4Runner with 800 miles. Ran away with that one! Only downside is the sat radio isn't activated.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If I were king, I would decree that every car class above full size must have working satellite radio.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:40 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Only downside is the sat radio isn't activated.
FYI.
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
Sometimes I've gotten a car with a satellite radio that didn't work, and until recently I always assumed it was deactivated because I didn't pay for it (I've never paid for it, just the occasional upgrade).

Well I should have known better to think Hertz's systems were so sophisticated.

If you ever get a car with non-working Sirius/XM here's what you do to activate the radio:
  1. See if you can locate the radio ID. It's different on every model, but usually pretty easy to find in the process of trying to turn on the radio. If not, go ahead and call; they can help you find it.

2. Call Hertz Roadside Assistance, 1-800-654-5060.
    NOTE: DO NOT call Sirius/XM. They will have you set up a paying account with your credit card.

3. The rep will take down your info, most importantly the radio ID (step 1).

That's it. The radio should be functioning in 10 to 30 minutes.

It can take a while because the rep you talked to passes the info on to someone else at Hertz who then contacts Sirius to activate the account. And then the activation has to populate through the network.

I've done this three times though, and it works the same way each time.

Getting to like Sirius, I am.
krazykanuck and bmw745ion19s like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
IAH
President's Circle

Reserved: Intermediate
Received: Chrysler 300, fully loaded
Paid: Intermediate, with an extra 15% discount from my original reservation(!)
Joonydell likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 6, 2019 at 6:15 pm Reason: moved into dedicated thread for this location
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
President's Circle

Reserved: Intermediate
Received: Chrysler 300, fully loaded

More or less quoting Diplomatico because it mirrored my experience a couple weeks ago. I arrived mid CERAweek, which is a huge energy conference, and the PC selection was like a strip club buffet at the end of a shift. There was one lonely minivan and a 300 still wet from the car wash. I took the 300. Still not sick of this car, which has been 3 of my last 4 Hertz rentals.
Fendi80 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Picked up at about 9 AM yesterday (a Wednesday).

Selection was pretty good. Plenty of sedans (Imapalas, 300s), a Challenge RT, a number of smaller SUVs (Kia, Hyundai, Ford and Chevy) plus a GMC Yukon.Noticing the one Infiniti Q50 was claimed, I chose a Ford Taurus Platinum with 4,100 miles and XM. Their premium upgrade area had more of the Infiniti sedans that you'd hope to see in the PC aisle.
bedeve, m907 and Fendi80 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: Avis PC AmexPL Hertz5str MarriottPlt NetJets NationalEE InspiratoMember
I actually

When I went through IAH in January they gave me a new Range Rover Sport, not discovery or evoque. They had 7-8 of them all black sitting in the front near the Gold desk building. Had to have the manager take it off the ramp to the lot, but I agree they had nothing available in prestige or otherwise. I had originally booked a GLS, and the person never returned it and the manager said just take the Range Rover (C?) and I did. Thank God I was already working myself up since I specifically said when it was reserved I needed a big SUV. But I don't think they have anywhere near the fleet of Dallas. At least not compared to April when cars I'd never seen where parked all over including a G 550 and 9 BMW 740s and 5 series too.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:19 am

Renting in August. Reserved a Standard SUV, what kind of upgrade should I expect as a PC?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Teasip82
Renting in August. Reserved a Standard SUV, what kind of upgrade should I expect as a PC?
None. You'd have a reasonable chance of getting that from the PC section in Ultimate Choice but it's by no means guaranteed. If they have your car in stock, you should be assigned a car - and you may be able to swap it for something more palatable if necessary, but equally - you may not.

I rented over Easter (Thu-Mon) and on the Thursday it was small SUVs (lots of Rogues, GMC Terrains, Chevy Equinoxes, quite a lot of Nissan Muranos, the single VW Tiguan I took from regular Gold) together with lots of 300s, Impalas, etc. When I returned there were a few Buick Enclaves and similar SUVs around the lot. So if stock is low they may prioritize your car but you should expect anything in that group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.