Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at IAH; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at IAH; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Arrow Consolidated "Renting at IAH; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Reserved a F (Full-Size) for pickup at IAH airport (Houston) as a 5-Star member on 2/27, was given a 2017 Buick Envision SUV (L) with 1,200 miles on it! ^

Not a bad mid-size suv but that 2.5L 4-cylinder struggles a bit, the turbo would be more fun. Drove it about 300-miles in the 3-days I had it.
Attached Images   
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tony300S
Reserved a F (Full-Size) for pickup at IAH airport (Houston) as a 5-Star member on 2/27, was given a 2017 Buick Envision SUV (L) with 1,200 miles on it! ^

Not a bad mid-size suv but that 2.5L 4-cylinder struggles a bit, the turbo would be more fun. Drove it about 300-miles in the 3-days I had it.
Was that through ultimate choice or they just gave you an upgrade?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:52 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by m907
Was that through ultimate choice or they just gave you an upgrade?
Upgrade ^
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond | IHG Platinum
Hi all,
Just reserved a Luxury LCAR @ IAH. Curious to know what's the most common LCAR in hertz's fleet at the moment or at that particular location if anybody has been there recently. Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:52 pm

Weekend IAH 1-day, what to expect (upgrade)?

I tried searching for the info, but couldn't find much...
I'll be prepaying a 1-day weekend rental, picking up in the AM.
I'm a PC member with the Amex Plat CDP, looking for a high performance and/or high class luxury sedan/coupé (ideally Mercedes AMG, BMW M, Audi RS, Porsche, Chevy Corvette, etc.)

Apart from booking the exact car (I don't want to pay that much), should I book Luxury (LCAR) or ante-up and book Fullsize Elite (GCAR), in the hope of getting a great upgrade?

Anyone have experience calling/emailing the manager on-duty and asking a day or 2 ahead of time?

Thanks !

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 23, 2017 at 6:40 pm Reason: Moved into existing thread
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:07 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

All of the models you mentioned are from Hertz Collections. There is effectively zero chance you will get a free upgrade and will have to pay a significant per day upgrade fee if one of those is even available. It probably doesn't much matter what you book initially as I don't think that it's going to have a significant impact on what they quote as an upgrade fee to move to an entirely different class of vehicle. Probably just book whatever class:

a) Seems like the best value for the money

b) Whatever class you'd be happy with if no Collections vehicles are available.

You can try to call/email, but I'm guessing the local manager of a major airport localtion has more important things to worry about than trying to find you an upgrade for a 1-day rental. Yes, I know you are a PC member. So am I. And so are probably hundreds of other renters who will rent at IAH the day you are there.

All of that said, IAH is now a Hertz Ultimate Choice location. As a PC member, you can reserve an intermediate car or above and choose from anything in the PC section. While you will generally not find any BMW/Mercedes/Audis there, you may get lucky and find one in the Premium Upgrade Zone where you can upgrade for $25/day (plus taxes and fees) as a PC member. Keep in mind though that we're talking standard BMW/Mercedes/Audis not M/AMG/RS models. Those are almost certainly going to carry a heftier upgrade fee.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
All of the models you mentioned are from Hertz Collections. There is effectively zero chance you will get a free upgrade and will have to pay a significant per day upgrade fee if one of those is even available. It probably doesn't much matter what you book initially as I don't think that it's going to have a significant impact on what they quote as an upgrade fee to move to an entirely different class of vehicle. Probably just book whatever class:

a) Seems like the best value for the money

b) Whatever class you'd be happy with if no Collections vehicles are available.

You can try to call/email, but I'm guessing the local manager of a major airport localtion has more important things to worry about than trying to find you an upgrade for a 1-day rental. Yes, I know you are a PC member. So am I. And so are probably hundreds of other renters who will rent at IAH the day you are there.

All of that said, IAH is now a Hertz Ultimate Choice location. As a PC member, you can reserve an intermediate car or above and choose from anything in the PC section. While you will generally not find any BMW/Mercedes/Audis there, you may get lucky and find one in the Premium Upgrade Zone where you can upgrade for $25/day (plus taxes and fees) as a PC member. Keep in mind though that we're talking standard BMW/Mercedes/Audis not M/AMG/RS models. Those are almost certainly going to carry a heftier upgrade fee.
Unless Hertz changed their car classes again, GCARs are part ot their Prestige Collection. I was under the impression that moving from one Prestige Collection to another was feasible without a hefty upgrade fee...
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
The polite way to answer your question is to suggest you substantially reset your expectations.
As AutoSlash points out, you basically haven't a prayer.
If you want a high-end vehicle, pay for it.

You will not get a free or cheap upgrade.

You also seem to ask the same question over and over ... from 2014 ... and the answer from the Avis forum is always the same as here.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 23, 2017 at 6:45 pm Reason: Removed link post-merge
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jason F Potvin
Unless Hertz changed their car classes again, GCARs are part ot their Prestige Collection. I was under the impression that moving from one Prestige Collection to another was feasible without a hefty upgrade fee...
Sure, book something from the Prestige Collection and you *might* get to choose something else from the Prestige Collection (i.e. an Infiniti or a Cadillac instead of the Mercedes). The AMG/M/RS vehicles are in the Dream Cars collection, as in keep dreaming.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
The polite way to answer your question is to suggest you substantially reset your expectations.
As AutoSlash points out, you basically haven't a prayer.
If you want a high-end vehicle, pay for it.

You will not get a free or cheap upgrade.

You also seem to ask the same question over and over ... from 2014 ... and the answer from the Avis forum is always the same as here.
The reason I ask is because local experiences sometimes trump broad generalizations. I'm only a Preferred Plus (/Avis First) member at Avis, but have been given BMW 3 series, 5 series, X3, X5, Audi A4, Q5, Mercedes C63 AMG, Range Rover, Chevy Camaro SS, etc. on Fullsize reservations.
ALL without paying for an upgrade.
I have a higher status level at Hertz and a CDP that gives an additional upgrade (even though Hertz Collections aren't supposed to be included, that's very YMMV), hence the question.

Maybe your experiences haven't been as fruitful. Sometimes it pays to be nice and ask.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jason F Potvin
The reason I ask is because local experiences sometimes trump broad generalizations. I'm only a Preferred Plus (/Avis First) member at Avis, but have been given BMW 3 series, 5 series, X3, X5, Audi A4, Q5, Mercedes C63 AMG, Range Rover, Chevy Camaro SS, etc. on Fullsize reservations.
ALL without paying for an upgrade.
I have a higher status level at Hertz and a CDP that gives an additional upgrade (even though Hertz Collections aren't supposed to be included, that's very YMMV), hence the question.

Maybe your experiences haven't been as fruitful. Sometimes it pays to be nice and ask.
Certainly no harm in asking. We wish you the best of luck. Please report back on your experience.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

I was here last weekend, Saturday for a 1 day rent - PC area was great - lots of Infiniti's (including the Q60). I noticed some Chryslers 300's, Camry's, Sonata's and some others which I did not remember since I just went directly for the Q60
Not sure if this is normal here, but this has to be one of the best PC lots I've seen so far.

Cheers!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:03 pm

I guess you were lucky, I was today at them and at the PC area they had lots of Chevrolets Malibu and other ordinary cars, the Q50 and Q60's were in the Upgrade area so that is not such a good location.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: MP Silver, HH
Reserved a P4

Got a beautiful Jag XF.

I wanted a Mercedes 300,however I did not see any there.

enjoying the the Jag though,fun car to drive.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

I was here last weekend, Saturday for a 1 day rent - PC area was great - lots of Infiniti's (including the Q60). I noticed some Chryslers 300's, Camry's, Sonata's and some others which I did not remember since I just went directly for the Q60
Not sure if this is normal here, but this has to be one of the best PC lots I've seen so far.

Cheers!
Wow, you are lucky! On my last visit (a wed night), PC UC section only had pickup trucks. Looking around at the PC non-UC line, I was able to find a lone Camry squeezed between some trucks. Score!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.