Wiki Posts
Search

Activating Sirius / XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hertz #1, HHonors
Activating SAT radio on rental

Anyone ever call up Sirius or XM and pay for a month long subscription on a rental car that didn't have it activated? Lots of GM cars from Hertz have XM, not activated (since Hertz has a deal with Sirius).

Any trouble with it? I would think the big risk is having them continue to charge you beyond the single month or what not.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:15 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
For Sirius you can call the roadside assistance number and they will connect you with someone who will activate the radio. When I did this on a recent rental I asked the guy helping me if they could do it for XM equipped vehicles and he said they could not since they do not have any agreement with XM like they do with Sirius.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
The fact that I love is that the rental record will show that the car is an upgrade (typically Yx - with x = car class) with SAT as an option, even though you only get the base XM Preview channels.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I believe you might be able to get away with it, if it is a FORD product. I believe you get six months free with every Ford vehicle and sometime one year. That may be why Hertz will do it so easily for vehicles with Sirius.

If you try to call they want your name and address and will check it with registration at some point, or so I was told when I did it for my customers when I worked for Ford...
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:58 pm

Programs: DELTA PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, etc.
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
The fact that I love is that the rental record will show that the car is an upgrade (typically Yx - with x = car class) with SAT as an option, even though you only get the base XM Preview channels.
The YX classes have been around longer than Satellite Radio, and have nothing to do with SATRAD. AFAIK, Hertz systems do not track the presence or absence of XM in any way. Sirius, obviously, is tracked and charged.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeBU
The YX classes have been around longer than Satellite Radio, and have nothing to do with SATRAD. AFAIK, Hertz systems do not track the presence or absence of XM in any way. Sirius, obviously, is tracked and charged.
I realize perfectly well that Yx is a class that has been around since well before Satellite radios. However, every car that I have had with XM installed has been listed as a Yx class and SAT listed as an option on the vehicle. In approximately half of those rentals, the cars have had either leather, sunroof or both. The other half have had no options other than SAT.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Sort of along the same lines.... If I have a subscription with either XM or Sirius, can I temporarily move that to the rental for a few days?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
I realize perfectly well that Yx is a class that has been around since well before Satellite radios. However, every car that I have had with XM installed has been listed as a Yx class and SAT listed as an option on the vehicle. In approximately half of those rentals, the cars have had either leather, sunroof or both. The other half have had no options other than SAT.
Really - almost every Hyundai Elantra or Sonata I have received lately (and I have gotten a lot of them) have had XM and I don't believe any were YC or YB. In fact, the fact they had XM was not noted anywhere as mentioned
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: DELTA PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, etc.
However, every car that I have had with XM installed has been listed as a Yx class and SAT listed as an option
Please help me to understand. How and where was SAT listed as an option?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:08 pm

Programs: DELTA
Thumbs down Huh???

This happened to me this weekend at MSP. My rental Hyundai had XM satellite built in and the free, introductory susbscription had run out. What the &*#+??? When I called Hertz Roadside Assistance this weekend, the woman I spoke told me that Hertz has no national contract with XM satellite radio. Well, why then do you not get a credit back for these d*#$ radios when you purchase them for your fleets???! This makes NO SENSE to me!!!

-A
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Poopdeck90210
This happened to me this weekend at MSP. My rental Hyundai had XM satellite built in and the free, introductory susbscription had run out. What the &*#+??? When I called Hertz Roadside Assistance this weekend, the woman I spoke told me that Hertz has no national contract with XM satellite radio. Well, why then do you not get a credit back for these d*#$ radios when you purchase them for your fleets???! This makes NO SENSE to me!!!

-A
Things like radios and small options like this don't effect the cost when Hertz is purchasing in bulk volumes.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle

-A
Because the XM comes with the car -- it's not an option. Hertz buys the cars in bulk, they come with XM activated and when it runs out, its gone. Costs Hertz nothing.

The only problem is that the car gets recorded as SAT when it is entered into the system and they don't change it when the free preview expires.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by photojojo
Sort of along the same lines.... If I have a subscription with either XM or Sirius, can I temporarily move that to the rental for a few days?
I don't see why not, as long as the radio isn't currently activated. I can see activating an inactive radio, yet if you tried to change the subscription, I'd presume you'd have to "deactivate" the current subscription, which doesn't sound doable.

Steve B.

Last edited by sbagdon; Apr 15, 2008 at 1:32 pm
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:28 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by photojojo
XM charges an activation fee every time you activate a new radio, so to move a subscription from one radio to another and back would cost 2 activation fees.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:30 pm

Programs: DELTA
Unhappy Just SILLY

Okay -- this is just SILLY! I rented another car this weekend in MSP, same make & model. But this time, it was a new car and as I expected, my XM Satellite radio worked -- because it was still on the "introductory" subscription. Now, for the "silly" part. When I went to return the car tonight at the MSP airport, there is like this HUGE stand alone sign at the Hertz counter that I spotted as I came in from the garage touting Hertz's relationship with...

Sirius Satellite Radio!!!

Huh????! {Scooby Doo Style}

-A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.