Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at JFK; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at JFK; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:50 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I went ahead and merged this thread with the consolidated JFK thread we have.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:42 am

Any recent experiences with Hertz in JFK?
any PC feedback? Appreciate any info that anyone can provide.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by ironfire
Any recent experiences with Hertz in JFK?
any PC feedback? Appreciate any info that anyone can provide.
I had a one way rental around the new year from JFK out east on Long Island. I don't recall the exact lineup of cars in the PC and 5* but I recall it being well stocked with a good mix of sedans and SUVs. I ended up grabbing a 2019 BMW 530i from the PC. Mileage was over 30k but car was great to drive for a one way rental. Could have definitely grabbed something with lower mileage but I didn't really take to much time to browse.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:17 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Arrived this evening (Tuesday) around 1900. In the Premium Upgrade section were two Range Rover Velars. In PC I spotted single Chevy Silverado and a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 pickups, a Nissan Altima, Chrysler 300, and a few other sedans. I took the sole SUV; it's a Q4 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD with Florida plates, 32,000 miles on the odometer, and working Sirius/XM. I noted a bunch of other small Buick and Nissan SUV over in 5* on my way out along with what looked to be an Audi Q3 SUV (also with Florida plates) that I assume is a 2018 lease-returned vehicle.
Auto Enthusiast, jizen and Ordpc like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 1, 2022 at 5:02 pm
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:13 pm

rented on 02/23
PC had: 2 Mazda Cx5 / 1 subaru outback / cadillac xts / a couple sedans
premium upgrade: velar/ Q3

got a Jeep grand cherokee 2018, with 40000 miles and florida plates, no XM, but I needed a car with 4x4 because of the heavy snow that was in the forecast in boston a few days later.
Hertz really needs to renew their portfolio
Ordpc likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:32 pm

Hertz did. The 2018 cars with low miles for a rental, FL plates, often an empty front license plate bracket, and sometimes a dealer sticker, were purchased from local lease return auctions within the past year, due to the chip shortage.
jizen likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:56 am

What car to get with group L SUV booking at JFK?

I booked a Group L (SFAR) SUV marked as Chevrolet Equinox or similar @ Hertz JFK airport. I received the email confirmation saying Hertz rental space is in renovation and I was put on Gold Canopy, which I guess the 5 Star space for you to chose the cars is not available. What car I would expect to get as I think Chevrolet Equinox is a small SUV and should be the same as group Q (Nissan Rouge). Should I downgrade to group Q and same money if I would not expect to get a standard size SUV?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Joyer
I booked a Group L (SFAR) SUV marked as Chevrolet Equinox or similar @ Hertz JFK airport. I received the email confirmation saying Hertz rental space is in renovation and I was put on Gold Canopy, which I guess the 5 Star space for you to chose the cars is not available. What car I would expect to get as I think Chevrolet Equinox is a small SUV and should be the same as group Q (Nissan Rouge). Should I downgrade to group Q and same money if I would not expect to get a standard size SUV?
L is typically cheaper than Q4 at JFK.

If you want a larger SUV, why not just rent an L4 (Nissan Pathfinder or Similar)
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Friday evening after 6pm

upgrade vehicles included 2 Polstars, RR Velar, Hendrick Camaro and a couple other I don’t remember

PC
Mustang 6 cyl hardtop
340i
Terrain
XTS 400
Corolla le
Rogue sport
Qx50

Five star when I entered the lot
Silverado LT
Malibu premier

Line waiting for Five Star, Gold and Counter. Cars were coming out quickly and being given to next in line if they wanted it.

Staff here is fantastic!
JordanWalker and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by 91StealthES

If you want a larger SUV, why not just rent an L4 (Nissan Pathfinder or Similar)
It turned out that I got a Ford Explore for Group L (SFAR). Happy with that.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Joyer
It turned out that I got a Ford Explore for Group L (SFAR). Happy with that.
Glad to hear! I feel all the staff here is exceptional and take care of their customers. I’ve never met an angry or disrespectful agent here. Even when customers are being belligerent and nasty.

Thanks for following up and letting everyone know. Try to post the day/time of pickup and some of the cars you saw in the different sections next time your out this way. It will help all of the other members out.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:26 am

Glad to hear! I feel all the staff here is exceptional and take care of their customers. I’ve never met an angry or disrespectful agent here. Even when customers are being belligerent and nasty.

Thanks for following up and letting everyone know. Try to post the day/time of pickup and some of the cars you saw in the different sections next time your out this way. It will help all of the other members out.
Sure. I rented for 3+ weeks from 10 May 2022 and picked the car @ 9:30pm. I was assigned the car at Gold Canopy and did not go to Five Star area to look for other cars.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:50 pm

LCAR reservation a couple weeks ago yielded me an Avalon XLE with around 350 miles. Initially wasn't thrilled with the assignment, but the combination of the car's newness, smooth and quiet ride, and large trunk (we had 4 suitcases and 2 backpacks) quickly won me over. Put around 600 miles on the car and was sad to let it go.

I took a glance at PC when I picked up but didn't spot anything that piqued my interest. When I returned today, both PC and 5* seemed to be nearly empty, and it looked like the agents were assigning cars as they came in.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:56 pm

Friday evening after 6pm

upgrade vehicles included 2 Polstars, RR Velar, Hendrick Camaro and a couple other I don’t remember

PC
Mustang 6 cyl hardtop
340i
Terrain
XTS 400
Corolla le
Rogue sport
Qx50

Five star when I entered the lot
Silverado LT
Malibu premier

Line waiting for Five Star, Gold and Counter. Cars were coming out quickly and being given to next in line if they wanted it.

Staff here is fantastic!
Nice. Wonder what the odds are of a 340i dropping to 5*...
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Nice. Wonder what the odds are of a 340i dropping to 5*...
0. Luxury brand cars are not allowed to be put in 5s or gold. There were exceptions before, especially before covid, but not a chance now. Many hertz workers (in many situations, contractors) might have no idea of what cars should go where, and there might not be a clear guideline either, but what they do remember from their supervisor is BMW is president circle only. Also JFK's inventory varies a lot for different times during the week and day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.