Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Rented at LAX again today.
I was surprised that they had brand new cars even with the current situation.
PC had nothing interesting other than 2 brand new BMW 230 convertible.
There were maybe about 20 230 convertibles scattered in reserved area and all of them were brand new.

PC/5 star lot both had a few brand new GMC Acadia too
Old May 26, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by LJ7006
Rented at LAX again today.
I was surprised that they had brand new cars even with the current situation.
PC had nothing interesting other than 2 brand new BMW 230 convertible.
There were maybe about 20 230 convertibles scattered in reserved area and all of them were brand new.
Did you take a 2er? Even in four cylinder form, the BMW F22/F23 2 Series is an absolutely amazing car. Very surprising that a big tranche of brand new BMW 2ers wound up at Hertz LAX.

Edited to add: why can't I have luck like this at Hertz stations?

Last edited by Herb687; May 26, 2020 at 9:59 am Reason: edit
Old May 27, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
Did you take a 2er? Even in four cylinder form, the BMW F22/F23 2 Series is an absolutely amazing car. Very surprising that a big tranche of brand new BMW 2ers wound up at Hertz LAX.

Edited to add: why can't I have luck like this at Hertz stations?
I did not take one as I needed something large for my trip and although I am always traveling around I have a M4 and GLC43 at home so I usually try to stay away from the rental european cars as they are always the lower end models, but I would totally go for the volvo as I usually go with cars that are equipped with adaptive cruise control. I ended up going with a 2020 highlander as I would say it's probably my favorite 2020 model cars that hertz still carries.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 1:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Not too much new at LAX. Returned and rented on Tuesday, June 23. Just two vehicles, including mine, returning at 8:30 am. Three agents came to my vehicle. If you want a receipt, they have to print it in the booth in front of the return area. I did not get a carfirmation, again, for my S class reservation but the agent who printed up my receipt checked for me and it was assigned. I was a little surprised, based on what is going on, that it was a Dodge Ram 1500 classic with only 171 miles. Nice add touches I haven't seen on other like Dodge Rams at LAX such as a running board, all electric controls and leather seats. It is an LAX station vehicle, too. As for President's Circle, it was about 25% filled and the best vehicle was a Suburban with 5000 miles. Nothing else of note. The area was quite a mess of vehicles parked all different ways that weren't available. I was told the best time for most vehicles in President's Circle is between noon and 3 pm (I use to find 8 am hour was). They don't do overnight cleanings and don't start to replenish President's Circle vehicles from the previous day until 8-9 am. There's only one shift now. The long time agents that I spoke with told me that business is picking up a bit (although I was the only person picking up a vehicle that I saw or that went through the exit gate while I was there) and they need to recall more people. Only the most senior employees were retained, everyone else was fired. Dollar and Thrifty are still operating out of Hertz LAX facility, also.
Auto Enthusiast, m907 and Kore like this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: Yes
I can't speak for the vehicles available in the garage at LAX, but at the rental car return there was:
  • Hendrick Camaro
  • A220
  • C63 AMG
  • Camaro / SS
  • Mustang
  • Plenty of compact - midsize vehicles
I also highly recommend taking a picture of the fuel and mileage before leaving the vehicle. The facility added a full tank fuel charge to my final digital bill, claiming it was returned empty. Hertz PC's response was they needed a picture of the dashboard or a fuel receipt, even though I drove 50 miles in a vehicle with a 13+ gallon tank and 30+ MPG fuel efficiency. It could have been an honest mistake when checking the vehicle back-in, but the CS response was disappointing for a frequent renter.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:59 pm

Rented from them last night.
Worst selection I've seen at LAX for all times, PC was just a bunch of malibus/altimas/fusion and that was it, most of them were 30k+ miles too, there was also a 2017 jetta with 12k miles which amazed me.
Five star area had a few suvs, high mileage terrain, low mileage encore and ecosport and that was pretty much it.

I did also notice that 2 of the fusions were 2018 models but they only had 2000 and 6000 miles on the clock and no it's not a mistake on the key tag as 2018 had different taillights.
That was very interesting though as I wonder where they found those "new" cars that are several model years old.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:35 pm

Hertz is a disaster right now

I follow this thread closely as I’m back and forth from LAX almost weekly. PC member and holy guacamole is hertz a disaster right now and I would recommend avoiding at all costs. Was out last week, reserved a premium car which usually will be a luxury upgrade only to arrive at an HLE and receive a smoked out Malibu.... Despite numerous other vehicles on the lot they weren’t budging. Whatever! When I went to return the car I was told it wasn’t right, went to the gold desk and was told to screw off. Waited in line for 30 mins only to deal with more rude employees and manager. I’m back to LA tomorrow and had a luxury car reserved, however, I was called today and told “JK we have no cars, haven’t you heard we’re filing for bankruptcy? We recommend you change locations, and don’t call the 1800 line they just lie.” Tried the LAX line over an hour before giving up. Spent 1.45 on hold with the 1800 line to be berated and yelled at by the representative. Truly the most insane rep I’ve ever spoken with. Asked for a call back from a supervisor which I doubt I’ll get. Spent an hour on the phone with her going in circles where the only solution she would even consider was charging me an additional $500 for a new reservation. I rent cars almost every other week from Hertz and have never had such a negative experience as the last month. I’m going to silver car or some other company that doesn’t waste 5hrs if my time for their most “premium” customer.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: NW GE
Originally Posted by Fullofjeff
I follow this thread closely as I’m back and forth from LAX almost weekly. ... Was out last week, reserved a premium car which usually will be a luxury upgrade only to arrive at an HLE and receive a smoked out Malibu....
This is the LAX airport thread. I assume you're referring to an LA area HLE?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Lyaec350
This is the LAX airport thread. I assume you're referring to an LA area HLE?
Both. Have been renting from the HLE and LAX locations over the past 4 weeks. Haven’t received a car with more than 3/4 tank of gas and a few with under 1/4. Street parking is a bit tight at my place so if I don’t immediately need a car I’ll pick one up later from an HLE. Two weeks ago at LAX they didn’t have a record of my RETURNING rental. I don’t have a charge on any cards and I don’t see the receipt in the app...
Old Jul 2, 2020, 4:33 pm

I'm surprised at how quickly it's all fallen to [pieces] really. Picked up a Murano in PC at around 10pm on 06/22 and returned a week later. I detest the Murano but partner was driving it and wanted adaptive cruise for a long roadtrip and that was the only option. We asked about a Camry or Highlander. The office suggested there was a Highlander parked in one of the PC spots as I know they have a few new ones on the lot but it wasn't there and couldnt be found. The rest was just base Altima's and Optima's and a few Rogue's. Nothing else noteworthy. I guess this is indeed the new normal

In fairness to Hertz we also popped over to Avis as we have status with them too and wanted to see if their fleet was any better - nope! - Certainly not at that time anyway. Sad times.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 2, 2020 at 5:02 pm Reason: profanity is neither welcomed nor allowed on this site https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
I also highly recommend taking a picture of the fuel and mileage before leaving the vehicle. The facility added a full tank fuel charge to my final digital bill, claiming it was returned empty. Hertz PC's response was they needed a picture of the dashboard or a fuel receipt, even though I drove 50 miles in a vehicle with a 13+ gallon tank and 30+ MPG fuel efficiency. It could have been an honest mistake when checking the vehicle back-in, but the CS response was disappointing for a frequent renter.
As a frequent renter I'm surprised taking a photo of the dash when returning the car isn't standard practice with you. To me it's basic, and has saved me on a number of occasions when I've been overcharged, including at LAX.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by clubman
As a frequent renter I'm surprised taking a photo of the dash when returning the car isn't standard practice with you. To me it's basic, and has saved me on a number of occasions when I've been overcharged, including at LAX.
I take photos of the exterior as I frequently rent DREAM or Ultimate Series cars. I’ve never had an issue with mileage or gas, and have always waited for them to sign off on the cars. So, the dash photo was never part of the routine.

The LAX vehicle was a 2020 Toyota Corolla and she confirmed the gas and miles before I left.

It will be now.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by LJ7006
Rented from them last night.
Worst selection I've seen at LAX for all times, PC was just a bunch of malibus/altimas/fusion and that was it, most of them were 30k+ miles too, there was also a 2017 jetta with 12k miles which amazed me.
Five star area had a few suvs, high mileage terrain, low mileage encore and ecosport and that was pretty much it.

I did also notice that 2 of the fusions were 2018 models but they only had 2000 and 6000 miles on the clock and no it's not a mistake on the key tag as 2018 had different taillights.
That was very interesting though as I wonder where they found those "new" cars that are several model years old.
this is exactly my experience in the past week and a half. Just a few weeks ago BMWs, convertibles, SUvs, Benz, and other new desirable cars were regularly in PC at LAX. This time around I couldn’t find anything remotely above intermediate with a few high mileage crossoves (Buick encore garbage)

Originally Posted by Fullofjeff
Both. Have been renting from the HLE and LAX locations over the past 4 weeks. Haven’t received a car with more than 3/4 tank of gas and a few with under 1/4. Street parking is a bit tight at my place so if I don’t immediately need a car I’ll pick one up later from an HLE. Two weeks ago at LAX they didn’t have a record of my RETURNING rental. I don’t have a charge on any cards and I don’t see the receipt in the app...

this happened to me, too. Took over a week to show up, otherwise ordinary rental

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 8, 2020 at 4:27 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by A321neo
this is exactly my experience in the past week and a half. Just a few weeks ago BMWs, convertibles, SUvs, Benz, and other new desirable cars were regularly in PC at LAX. This time around I couldn’t find anything remotely above intermediate with a few high mileage crossoves (Buick encore garbage)

this happened to me, too. Took over a week to show up, otherwise ordinary rental
Been close to a month and the rental is still missing... Suppose that equals out with the random key charge I have for $250 from my rental last week. The maintenance areas are filled with all of the premium cars and all of the locations (including LAX) have told me they have a mandate to send anything to auction/sales. Aligns with what I’m seeing on the hertz car sales website. I guess National is the better bet right now
Old Aug 18, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Presidents Circle;
I am flying into LAX in a few Saturdays. What is the chance of scoring a decent SUV from Presidents Circle? Reading these recent reviews makes me question if I should just start booking with other rental agencies. Much cheaper to book an SUV from Avis etc. I am looking at renting for ~4 weeks, and bumping up the reservation to an SUV for Hertz is hundreds more. Was hoping to score a PC SUV with a standard sedan reservation. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.