Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by LifetimeUpgrade
Question from a new Presidents Circle member - I am renting an SUV in PHX (one way rental returning to Mesa airport in Phoenix). Am I still eligible to use pick something from the Ultimate Choice section? What if they assign me a car number pre-arrival? Can I just not take that car and go get a new one? Ideally I would like to get a nicer SUV than what I reserved (Nissan Pathfinder). My car was only marginally more than the intermediate car so I figured if I can guarantee the SUV and hope for an upgrade it is better than getting stuck with a regular car.
My experience is that if you are not renting on Tuesday through Thursday then you will only find Kia Sorrento and Chevy Equinox in the PC area, so you may want to keep what you have. I occasionally see a mid-size Cherokee and rarely a Grand Cherokee, Even Ford Explorers are becoming rare in PC.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:58 am

Hi,

Hope somone experienced can help me out. Im totally new to Hertz in the US, but have PC-status. We have booked a class D (SCAR) from MIA returning to the same location. The confirmation says Cold Canopy service. Im the registered renter, but the person traveling with me will also need to be registered (in my experience not the smoothest process with Avis, did not attempt with Hertz yet) As mentioned i can not recall having used Hertz before in the US, but i do have a credit card registered to my profile

My questoons are:

- Will I be able to use Ultimate Choice with my class D booking? Am i right in assuming that i will have a car assigned to me, which i can accept and then change when in the lots if IU find something i prefer in the UC section?
- Should i go to the main counter to register an additional driver? Can this affecct my choices in cars, considering im meant to skip straight to the lots and the gate?
- Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for any help or advice.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flyps
My questoons are:

- Will I be able to use Ultimate Choice with my class D booking? Am i right in assuming that i will have a car assigned to me, which i can accept and then change when in the lots if IU find something i prefer in the UC section?
- Should i go to the main counter to register an additional driver? Can this affecct my choices in cars, considering im meant to skip straight to the lots and the gate?
- Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for any help or advice.
- You should be able to use UC with that booking. For Hertz facilities doing ultimate choice on non-specialty ultimate choice eligible reservations there is no car assigned. Typically you go to the lot, hop in a car you like and drive to the gate. Only if you have a specialty vehicle (like a SUV or truck or ...) is it likely you'll find something pre-assigned -- and even then (IME) it's not a guarantee. Though I'm very rarely intending to rent a SUV so my sample is skewed.

- There should be a Gold booth in/near the lot (can't remember MIA off the top of my head) and you should absolutely declare the other driver there if you're a PC member (usually much faster than the main counter). I've never had to do an extra driver but the idea of attempting to do that at the gate makes me cringe... and if I were stuck behind you doing it at the gate I may rage against the machine. One strategy that has worked for me/been encouraged by the Hertz staff in other "special" cases is to find a car you like, dump your luggage in it and grab the keys before heading to the Gold booth to process the paperwork. They can assign that car to you there and print your contract making the pass through the gate easier/faster (just verifying the ID matches the contract rather than all of the other steps)
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
- You should be able to use UC with that booking. For Hertz facilities doing ultimate choice on non-specialty ultimate choice eligible reservations there is no car assigned. Typically you go to the lot, hop in a car you like and drive to the gate. Only if you have a specialty vehicle (like a SUV or truck or ...) is it likely you'll find something pre-assigned -- and even then (IME) it's not a guarantee. Though I'm very rarely intending to rent a SUV so my sample is skewed.

- There should be a Gold booth in/near the lot (can't remember MIA off the top of my head) and you should absolutely declare the other driver there if you're a PC member (usually much faster than the main counter). I've never had to do an extra driver but the idea of attempting to do that at the gate makes me cringe... and if I were stuck behind you doing it at the gate I may rage against the machine. One strategy that has worked for me/been encouraged by the Hertz staff in other "special" cases is to find a car you like, dump your luggage in it and grab the keys before heading to the Gold booth to process the paperwork. They can assign that car to you there and print your contract making the pass through the gate easier/faster (just verifying the ID matches the contract rather than all of the other steps)
Thanks! seems like solid advice to maybe pick out a car for ultimate choice and then go to the both. As for trying to add a driver at the gate i wouldnt do that, Id hate to cause a line too attempting that. Im used to it being a very annoying process not being a US resident.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Standard Elite SUV

I am PC, is this vehicle class part of the UC group at BOS?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by jimdarcy
I am PC, is this vehicle class part of the UC group at BOS?
I'm not sure what you're asking. If you reserve an SUV you will be assigned a car but have the option of taking from UC.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by m907
I'm not sure what you're asking. If you reserve an SUV you will be assigned a car but have the option of taking from UC.

thanks. I hadn’t heard of Standard Elite vehicle class before.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think that if you go here https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/vehic...ple%20Carrier# then you will see the classifications that Hertz give to them.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:12 pm

Hey guys, I am Gold status and I booked a Fullsize (FCAR) class. My name was on the board saying Gold zone. The Gold zone was empty so I went back and told the agent and he said go pick from 5*.

I was expecting to be charged extra at the gate but I wasn't. The car I picked was a Chevy Equinox. Even on the return receipt it said "Charged: F" and "Rented: F4". So why wasn't I charged extra?

Last edited by TravelingIsLit; Oct 8, 2019 at 10:13 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by TravelingIsLit
Hey guys, I am Gold status and I booked a Fullsize (FCAR) class. My name was on the board saying Gold zone. The Gold zone was empty so I went back and told the agent and he said go pick from 5*.

I was expecting to be charged extra at the gate but I wasn't. The car I picked was a Chevy Equinox. Even on the return receipt it said "Charged: F" and "Rented: F4". So why wasn't I charged extra?
Personally I would be annoyed if I was told to take from a higher level aisle only to then be charged for it. There seems to be some latitude regarding taking from a higher level aisle in general. If the gate agent cared, they might question why you are taking a car in 5* (if it was marked on their system as being in 5* in the first place), a quick explanation regarding your circumstance should sort it. It would be different if one were to be taking cars from a higher level aisle without expressed permission from one of the staff members first (which obviously goes to he-says-she-says if questions are asked)

Regarding F vs F4, as it was in the "gold" aisle, it doesn't matter. I have reserved/paid for a C (intermediate), with 5* status, and taken an I car in the 5* aisle - there is no increase in price. I am sure that others here have had much bigger differences than C vs I

As you are booking F, you can also take from the Full size aisle, as well as the ones lower than that too (A/B/C/D)
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Personally I would be annoyed if I was told to take from a higher level aisle only to then be charged for it. There seems to be some latitude regarding taking from a higher level aisle in general. If the gate agent cared, they might question why you are taking a car in 5* (if it was marked on their system as being in 5* in the first place), a quick explanation regarding your circumstance should sort it. It would be different if one were to be taking cars from a higher level aisle without expressed permission from one of the staff members first (which obviously goes to he-says-she-says if questions are asked)

Regarding F vs F4, as it was in the "gold" aisle, it doesn't matter. I have reserved/paid for a C (intermediate), with 5* status, and taken an I car in the 5* aisle - there is no increase in price. I am sure that others here have had much bigger differences than C vs I

As you are booking F, you can also take from the Full size aisle, as well as the ones lower than that too (A/B/C/D)

Well the F4 car I took was in the 5* aisle and I'm only Gold status. The gate agent didn't say anything. So what stops me next time from taking a car from 5*? Is there actually a system in place that prevents lower tiers from taking cars from upper tier zones? Or did I just get lucky and the gate agent didn't check correctly?

Last edited by TravelingIsLit; Oct 8, 2019 at 10:39 pm Reason: Forgot to quote
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by TravelingIsLit
Well the F4 car I took was in the 5* aisle and I'm only Gold status. The gate agent didn't say anything. So what stops me next time from taking a car from 5*? Is there actually a system in place that prevents lower tiers from taking cars from upper tier zones? Or did I just get lucky and the gate agent didn't check correctly?
Simple answer: They let you take from Five Star because Gold was empty.

There's some evidence of a system that tracks where cars are placed in the lot, but it's not clear how it works or how reliably they use it. You might get lucky a few times but I wouldn't recommend it. The cars in FS aren't usually that appreciably better anyway.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
I booked an O6 (pickup) which was the cheapest at DFW. Is that a qualifying category for Ultimate choice?
Did you end up getting ultimate choice? O6 is showing as the cheapest for me as well.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:12 pm

Hello,
I'm a PC member and I booked a Standard 2/4 Door (Group D) SCAR. I'll use my rewards to pay for this rental. Will I be able to choose from UC? It's a one way rental from MIA to Cape Canaveral (HLE).
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Hertz PC, Hyatt Colleague, Avis Preferred/Budget FB, National Exeuctive
Originally Posted by m907
Simple answer: They let you take from Five Star because Gold was empty.

There's some evidence of a system that tracks where cars are placed in the lot, but it's not clear how it works or how reliably they use it. You might get lucky a few times but I wouldn't recommend it. The cars in FS aren't usually that appreciably better anyway.
At Tampa Int'l, I have seen them bring a car out then go to a device that looks similar to a time clock on the wall where they punch in a number or scan a barcode, presumably assigning a car to a space number (spaces in UC/Five Star/PC have numbers too). When I've left, my contracts usually have a space number up top. I'll investigate next time I'm out there and follow up!
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.