Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
So where should the first guy have told me to choose from?
I am unsure how SFO itself is set up, but in other locations you would either have a car in a reserved spot or can choose any car from the B/Compact aisle
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth

I am unsure how SFO itself is set up, but in other locations you would either have a car in a reserved spot or can choose any car from the B/Compact aisle
It has a PC section, 5 star section, Gold section, plus other reserved canopies. Basically it's massive!

So here's what further muddies the waters for me, this is the email I usually get (I don't think I got it this time as I cannot find it so this was from the rental, 24 July, before):
Reserved Class:Compact
When You Arrive:Go to President's Circle zone

Why would I get this if it has to be C/intermediate?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
It has a PC section, 5 star section, Gold section, plus other reserved canopies. Basically it's massive!

So here's what further muddies the waters for me, this is the email I usually get (I don't think I got it this time as I cannot find it so this was from the rental, 24 July, before):

I am only 5*, so others might be able to give a better answer. But if you are PC, you auto get 1 level upgrade. So if you book B, then you get C. If you have C then you can use UC - maybe the email is taking all this info account?

Above is just a guess, but maybe that logic works - although if it did, it would prolly have been mentioned here before

Generally I book F, as with a certain long running promo code + my CDP, it works out cheaper than booking C/etc. With F, I can take whatever I want from 5* & Gold UC. No experience booking with B

Others who are PC here can test the above with a future pay at location booking
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
I am only 5*, so others might be able to give a better answer. But if you are PC, you auto get 1 level upgrade. So if you book B, then you get C. If you have C then you can use UC - maybe the email is taking all this info account?

Above is just a guess, but maybe that logic works - although if it did, it would prolly have been mentioned here before

Generally I book F, as with a certain long running promo code + my CDP, it works out cheaper than booking C/etc. With F, I can take whatever I want from 5* & Gold UC. No experience booking with B

Others who are PC here can test the above with a future pay at location booking
To my knowledge the PC upgrade is not supposed to be enough to push a compact into UC. Hertz's entire web infrastructure is a glitchy, contradictory mess though, so it's either because of that or maybe the locations were just manually assigning you to PC anyway.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by m907
Hertz's entire web infrastructure is a glitchy, contradictory mess though
On that I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:50 pm
R32

Premium upgrade one way

I haven't found much info about this being talked about but I am looking to book a one way rental from Lax to San Francisco(union square) in december. I only have hertz gold.

If i book an intermediate and then choose from the premium upgrade section, can that car be taken one way like my original booking?

Ideally I'd like somethng sporty to drive along the PCH, a mustang convertible is $311 vs $150 for ICAR, then plus upgrade fee.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by R32
I haven't found much info about this being talked about but I am looking to book a one way rental from Lax to San Francisco(union square) in december. I only have hertz gold.

If i book an intermediate and then choose from the premium upgrade section, can that car be taken one way like my original booking?
Presuming that there would be pushback from some places, however I figure that there must be a bunch of people who will one way from SFO-LAX (also in a sporty convertible) where it cancels out and they would be good with it
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
In the spirit of

Originally Posted by m907
Hertz's entire web infrastructure is a glitchy, contradictory mess though
Ultimate Choice is still a US-only thing at present, right?

My wife and I are doing a road trip through the UK next week (picking up the car at LHR and returning it to EDI and assume I'll get whatever automatic they happen to have on the lot they most want to get rid of but would love to be pleasantly surprised.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:19 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by R32

Ideally I'd like somethng sporty to drive along the PCH, a mustang convertible is $311 vs $150 for ICAR, then plus upgrade fee.
Yes, as a regular Gold member, you can pay the $35 per day upgrade fee and choose anything from the Premium Upgrades area for your one-way rental.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
In the spirit of

Ultimate Choice is still a US-only thing at present, right?

My wife and I are doing a road trip through the UK next week (picking up the car at LHR and returning it to EDI and assume I'll get whatever automatic they happen to have on the lot they most want to get rid of but would love to be pleasantly surprised.
I think they only have Gold Choice.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:50 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Question from a new Presidents Circle member - I am renting an SUV in PHX (one way rental returning to Mesa airport in Phoenix). Am I still eligible to use pick something from the Ultimate Choice section? What if they assign me a car number pre-arrival? Can I just not take that car and go get a new one? Ideally I would like to get a nicer SUV than what I reserved (Nissan Pathfinder). My car was only marginally more than the intermediate car so I figured if I can guarantee the SUV and hope for an upgrade it is better than getting stuck with a regular car.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Much of this is covered in the wiki for this thread; please review its contents. You can use Ultimate Choice for one-ways and with a SUV reservation.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Hertz PC, Hyatt Colleague, Avis Preferred/Budget FB, National Exeuctive
If I book an Intermediate SUV (lowest rate) and I do not like assigned vehicle, am I free to select from Ultimate Choice lot?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by isiegel3
If I book an Intermediate SUV (lowest rate) and I do not like assigned vehicle, am I free to select from Ultimate Choice lot?
Yes
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:13 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
From the wikipost:

Q. What if I book a Luxury/Prestige/Adrenaline car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.