Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Rental in New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
if the Trax is representative of the fleet, run screaming from it. Best case scenario you get a Ford Escape or Nissan Rogue Sport, etc. (in their NZ versions) which will still be slower and less pleasant to drive than a Mazda6 etc., though you do sit higher up. I wouldn't count on 4WD in any event.

(I'm doing something similar in NZ this month - but North Island - and have gone for the Holden Commodore, but I suspect that the difference over the Mazda won't be that great in practical terms).
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Just as an example, I booked a Mazda 6 from AKL Downtown for a few days as a PC and got a Toyota Highlander with 10K KMs. I thought it was a pretty nice upgrade but there were a good number of scratches and dents on the car.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Booked a midsize vehicle at TRG (Tauranga) airport location using Gold Rewards points. I'm Presidents Circle. First time redeeming overseas, do I have a chance for upgrade or I get what I reserved? Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Should get an upgrade to a F group , though given that on a couple of dummy bookings I have made, the E and F classes are the same price, (and both bookable with points) , would just book it up front as group F

Since full size is the highest upgrade category, if you book that , then do not expect an upgrade
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:24 am

just to share, i got offered a Mazda 6 or a Ford Escape at Picton Hertz, on E rate.
Chose the Mazda 6
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:45 pm

15 day AKL-CHC

so I’ve currently got the E group (Mazda 6 o/e) as a preference over the similar price of the F group (Toyota Aurion o/e). Any more recent updates on fleet from AKL or NZ in general? I’ll be sure to take photos of the forecourt when I’m there in November
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:40 pm

Hello,

Would appreciate any info on how inter-island rentals work please.

I booked a car from AKL to CHC and the price was very reasonable. No mention of extra fees for inter-island.

Then I found a web page at Hertz NZ stating a relocation fee of up to $1000, and on closer inspection a note in the booking terms & conditions about not being allowed to take vehicles on the ferry.

Can't find an email for Hertz NZ but I've tried their contact form and facebook without reply.

Having read all I can find I'm still uncertain.

Can I take the vehicle on the ferry as the booking seemed to imply (pick up AKL, drop off CHC)?
Or does that automatically require a change of vehicle at the ferry?

If I make 2 bookings, AKL-Wellington ferry, Picton ferry to CHC, then it costs quite a bit more.

Don't want to rush to cancel and rebook, but I want to get the ferry booking done and it seems very unclear what exactly is the procedure for arranging the vehicle swap at the ferry.

Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:38 pm

No you cannot take the car from the north island to the south island

If you have a rental booking from a location in North Island to one in the South island, then when you get to Wellington, you need to drop the car off at the Wellington Inter Island Ferry Terminal location and go on ferry as a foot passenger; when you get to Picton , you will collect another vehicle

If you take the vehicle across, then you will get the large penalty fee applied

You can do this with a single rental - you do not need to do 2 separate rentals

When booking the ferry, you then only have to pay for foot passengers , so it saves money on the ferry costs
Auto Enthusiast and todderz like this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 19, 2018 at 3:44 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:52 pm

Right, thanks. Surprised they don't make this more obvious when booking, but I suppose they'll soon tell you when you pick up the car.

Am I safe if I assume that when I pick up in AKL I will be able to schedule the vehicle change at the ferry for 2 days later?

Good to know all this and that I have to book the ferry as a foot passenger, very helpful thanks.

Also most helpful to know a single rental is fine. I can relax again now. Sincere thanks.

Last edited by todderz; Aug 19, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:06 pm

The details of inter island process is detailed in the leaflet that the rental agreement comes in , so you will have details of the process when you collect the car
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by todderz
Good to know all this and that I have to book the ferry as a foot passenger, very helpful thanks.
Hertz will/may want a date for the drop off/pick up but walk-on's to the ferry are easy and usually not capacity limited. Only around Christmas/New Year & Easter may there be issues. Cars can be capacity limited at any time.

I have taken cars/utes(pick ups) across Cook Straight probably about 15 times. Only once was on the sailing date/time as booked. Other times had a reservation or just drove up and waited in the standby line. Last time I reversed up the ramp as last vehicle to load. The ramp started to rise when was just on the deck. The driver before me could not reverse up the ramp and was denied boarding, hence I got the last spot.

I have always used the Interslander (NZ Rail operated)
https://booking.interislander.co.nz/...l-Details.aspx
https://www.bluebridge.co.nz/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.