FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Hertz Rental in New Zealand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1663049-hertz-rental-new-zealand.html)

wolf72 Mar 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Hertz Rental in New Zealand

Would anyone have any idea of the fleet that is available at Hertz from Auckland and Christchurch airport in 2015 and if they carry prestige or luxury cars such as Mercedes or Family wagons like the Toyota Alphard?

Dave Noble Mar 13, 2015 8:33 pm

The top normal vehicle is a Full Size ( XR6 ) type vehicle unless wanting a hybrid vehicle which is listed as a prestige vehicle

I am fairly sure that you will not find vehicles like Mercedes, though an 8 seater people carrier is offered

If you plan to drive between those 2 towns, be aware that you are not permitted to take the vehicle between the north and south islands and that you will have to swap vehicles

YYZC2 Mar 14, 2015 7:12 pm

I rented a full size from AKL last month and was offered a choice between two 2013 Ford Falcons.

buck3y3nut Mar 16, 2015 12:36 pm

I rented a full size in AKL and was given a Ford Falcon. One thing to note though originally I had the rental for 4 days; I returned the car after 1. They still charged me the full amount. I'm still trying to get a hold of Hertz so that they could fix it for me.

wolf72 Mar 17, 2015 3:55 am

Originally Posted by buck3y3nut (Post 24516036)
I rented a full size in AKL and was given a Ford Falcon. One thing to note though originally I had the rental for 4 days; I returned the car after 1. They still charged me the full amount. I'm still trying to get a hold of Hertz so that they could fix it for me.

Do they have the right to do that?

wolf72 Mar 17, 2015 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 24504133)
The top normal vehicle is a Full Size ( XR6 ) type vehicle unless wanting a hybrid vehicle which is listed as a prestige vehicle

I am fairly sure that you will not find vehicles like Mercedes, though an 8 seater people carrier is offered

If you plan to drive between those 2 towns, be aware that you are not permitted to take the vehicle between the north and south islands and that you will have to swap vehicles

Yeah will probably get a people carrier or an SUV I think then.

Noted on the restrictions of taking the ferry between North and South island.

Dave Noble Mar 17, 2015 5:26 am

Originally Posted by wolf72 (Post 24519266)
Do they have the right to do that?

With some of the 4+ day rates in AU/NZ , return early and can actually end up with extra to pay

Originally Posted by wolf72 (Post 24519273)
Noted on the restrictions of taking the ferry between North and South island.

Hertz does have a good system if you wish to rent from north to south ( or v/v ) in that there is a rental location at both ports ; drop car off, travel as a foot passenger and collect car at the other port.

wolf72 Mar 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 24519490)
With some of the 4+ day rates in AU/NZ , return early and can actually end up with extra to pay

Hertz does have a good system if you wish to rent from north to south ( or v/v ) in that there is a rental location at both ports ; drop car off, travel as a foot passenger and collect car at the other port.

Sounds good and efficient. Will work with that. Just hope we don't have a lot of luggage :)

VonRichthofen Jan 2, 2018 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 24519490)

Has this changed since 2015 or is it still a drop-off -> ferry -> pickup? Is it the same vehicle or just a similar class on the other side?

Mwenenzi Jan 2, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by VonRichthofen (Post 29241506)
Has this changed since 2015 or is it still a drop-off -> ferry -> pickup? Is it the same vehicle or just a similar class on the other side?

All the major NZ car rentals still do this. The rental cars do not go on the ferry. You pick up another car on the other side. The car will depend on what they have on the day.

A lot of one way NZ car rentals are north to south, so there tends to be a surplus at southern depots. https://www.transfercar.co.nz/
However at times some cars will go over Cook Straight

belfordrocks Jan 5, 2018 4:56 am

Which is why I always start my NZ trips from south to north!

VanquishShadow Mar 3, 2018 11:30 pm

Hertz in New Zealand

Later this month, will be picking up a rental from Picton (south island) and taking the car for a week or 8 days before returning to Greymouth station.

Got some rates via Autoslash. The Compact SUV (Holden Trax or similar) is around the same price as a Mid-Size (Mazda 6 or similar)

Any advice which might be better? Party of 3. Based on my past experience, a Mazda 6 / Sonata / Fusion size car is suitable in terms of luggage space. But I was wondering if the specific fleet in NZ may mean I get something better to drive if I were to select one of the categories.

jackal Mar 4, 2018 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by VanquishShadow (Post 29482838)
But I was wondering if the specific fleet in NZ may mean I get something better to drive if I were to select one of the categories.

The only data point I have is a CDMR (compact) reservation I booked for November 2014 where they gave me a Corolla in AKL and then upgraded me after the ferry crossing to a Camry in Picton. (Got a Corolla again at the ferry terminal in Wellington on my return back north.)

No indication on my receipt what class each car was considered, but I was mildly surprised to get a Corolla on a compact reservation, given that most locations in the US consider a Corolla to be an intermediate (and a Camry to be a fullsize) and my previous experience overseas is that cars are typically smaller, not larger, than US classifications.

Mwenenzi Mar 4, 2018 1:43 pm

I would take a Mazda 6 any day
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda6

A Holden Trax is a Chevy Trax, but could be different to that sold in USA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Trax

https://www.drivelife.co.nz/2017/07/...ax-car-review/

Holden Trax LTZ 2017

Powering the range is the familiar 1.4-litre turbo four-pot engine, delivering 103kW of power at 4900rpm, and 200Nm of torque from 1850rpm. Fuel consumption is said to average 6.7L/100km. We almost did too, at least according to the Trax trip computer, with a figure down around 7.1L/100km, not changing much even for performance testing or cornering shots. The tank seemed to empty rather quicker than the suggested mean figure, however.

phat-dave Mar 4, 2018 11:59 pm

the Holden Trax is by far the worse car any rental vehicle could possibly include. it's finishes are cheap and equally horrible ride and dynamics are worthy of a $12K Chinese manufactured Cherry. They use these in their Tasmanian (an Island State of Australia) fleet and I cringe each time I see one - particularly the horrendous bright orange ones.

Take the Mazda 6 all day or upgrade yourself to a standard/full size SUV to avoid this rubbish.