Hertz Rental in New Zealand

Reply

Old Mar 13, 15, 8:18 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Brunei
Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Posts: 2,201
Hertz Rental in New Zealand

Would anyone have any idea of the fleet that is available at Hertz from Auckland and Christchurch airport in 2015 and if they carry prestige or luxury cars such as Mercedes or Family wagons like the Toyota Alphard?
wolf72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 15, 8:33 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 36,975
The top normal vehicle is a Full Size ( XR6 ) type vehicle unless wanting a hybrid vehicle which is listed as a prestige vehicle

I am fairly sure that you will not find vehicles like Mercedes, though an 8 seater people carrier is offered

If you plan to drive between those 2 towns, be aware that you are not permitted to take the vehicle between the north and south islands and that you will have to swap vehicles
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 15, 7:12 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Canada / USA
Posts: 6,027
I rented a full size from AKL last month and was offered a choice between two 2013 Ford Falcons.
YYZC2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 15, 12:36 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ORD
Programs: UA, AS, AA, SPG, Marriott, Sixt, Hertz, National
Posts: 728
I rented a full size in AKL and was given a Ford Falcon. One thing to note though originally I had the rental for 4 days; I returned the car after 1. They still charged me the full amount. I'm still trying to get a hold of Hertz so that they could fix it for me.
buck3y3nut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 15, 3:55 am
  #5  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Brunei
Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by buck3y3nut View Post
I rented a full size in AKL and was given a Ford Falcon. One thing to note though originally I had the rental for 4 days; I returned the car after 1. They still charged me the full amount. I'm still trying to get a hold of Hertz so that they could fix it for me.
Do they have the right to do that?
wolf72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 15, 3:57 am
  #6  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Brunei
Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The top normal vehicle is a Full Size ( XR6 ) type vehicle unless wanting a hybrid vehicle which is listed as a prestige vehicle

I am fairly sure that you will not find vehicles like Mercedes, though an 8 seater people carrier is offered

If you plan to drive between those 2 towns, be aware that you are not permitted to take the vehicle between the north and south islands and that you will have to swap vehicles
Yeah will probably get a people carrier or an SUV I think then.

Noted on the restrictions of taking the ferry between North and South island.
wolf72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 15, 5:26 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 36,975
Originally Posted by wolf72 View Post
Do they have the right to do that?
With some of the 4+ day rates in AU/NZ , return early and can actually end up with extra to pay

Originally Posted by wolf72 View Post
Noted on the restrictions of taking the ferry between North and South island.
Hertz does have a good system if you wish to rent from north to south ( or v/v ) in that there is a rental location at both ports ; drop car off, travel as a foot passenger and collect car at the other port.
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 15, 7:33 pm
  #8  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Brunei
Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
With some of the 4+ day rates in AU/NZ , return early and can actually end up with extra to pay



Hertz does have a good system if you wish to rent from north to south ( or v/v ) in that there is a rental location at both ports ; drop car off, travel as a foot passenger and collect car at the other port.
Sounds good and efficient. Will work with that. Just hope we don't have a lot of luggage
wolf72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 18, 3:09 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Hertz does have a good system if you wish to rent from north to south ( or v/v ) in that there is a rental location at both ports ; drop car off, travel as a foot passenger and collect car at the other port.
Has this changed since 2015 or is it still a drop-off -> ferry -> pickup? Is it the same vehicle or just a similar class on the other side?
VonRichthofen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 18, 3:36 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 11,101
Originally Posted by VonRichthofen View Post
Has this changed since 2015 or is it still a drop-off -> ferry -> pickup? Is it the same vehicle or just a similar class on the other side?
All the major NZ car rentals still do this. The rental cars do not go on the ferry. You pick up another car on the other side. The car will depend on what they have on the day.

A lot of one way NZ car rentals are north to south, so there tends to be a surplus at southern depots. https://www.transfercar.co.nz/
However at times some cars will go over Cook Straight
Mwenenzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 18, 4:56 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BWU
Posts: 5,237
Which is why I always start my NZ trips from south to north!
belfordrocks is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread