Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Warning - Hertz PlatePass cannot be used for Express Lanes in Florida. http://floridaexpresslanes.com/

Interoperability With Other Transponders - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunPass#Interoperability
Print Wikipost

Hertz PlatePass (Florida SunPass) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
On two recent trips back from Orlando via the 417 toll road, I've been charged by Platepass ($1.00 toll + admin fee) but the second and third tolls are charged to my Sunpass account via the app. I've always added the license plate to my Sunpass account before pulling out of the rental car garage. Any idea why all three tolls are being processed by Sunpass account and skipping Platepass?

I called Sunpass and they blamed the rental company. Knowing how Hertz has changed recently, it kind of feels like they are trying to maximize revenue and hope the average consumer doesn't notice.
Might be a lag in adding the plate, or a bug in the Sunpass system.

You can contact Platepass and they'll remove the admin fee with proof of your own transponder (e.g. a billing statement from Sunpass showing you paid some tolls in the same period yourself).

Originally Posted by Evr13
I have a reservation for 15 days in November in Florida, taking advantage of the thread, could someone explain to me how the Platepass works with Hertz? Is it paid for every day, whether it is used or not, or only the days that it passes through tolls? Thank you
The latter - $5.95 for each day where you incur at least one Platepass toll.
https://platepass.com/locations/faq/renting-with-hertz/
Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by missingcolours
Might be a lag in adding the plate, or a bug in the Sunpass system.

You can contact Platepass and they'll remove the admin fee with proof of your own transponder (e.g. a billing statement from Sunpass showing you paid some tolls in the same period yourself).
Possibly. Is usually a few days before it post to my SunPass account and seeing the charge on my credit card a day or two before receiving the email with the invoice. I called the first time I noticed it, and they made a “courtesy” refund, after I explained the scenario. Otherwise, I would have had to submit documentation to Platepass
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
<snip> FWIW, the toll system in the southeast (FL/GA/etc.) works the opposite way--their system pays attention to the most recent entity to register the plate, so if you add a rental car plate to your SunPass account and your transponder doesn't get read, they'll still bill your account for a video toll. Of course, this makes more sense, but SunPass is a newer system, and good luck getting the huge E-ZPass consortium (which probably still runs their systems on an AS400) to change ways.
SunPass won’t allow you to add a rental plate to your account if it is already registered on another account.

When registering a rental, the system allows you to mark the vehicle as a rental and put an end date so you don’t have to remember to go back and delete it. Sadly, many don’t do this (as evidenced by my trying to add the plate to my account and being told it is already linked to another account) and likely end up getting charged without ever noticing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.