Hertz PlatePass (Florida SunPass) Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 15, 19, 2:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Wiki Link
Warning - Hertz PlatePass cannot be used for Express Lanes in Florida. http://floridaexpresslanes.com/

Interoperability With Other Transponders - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunPass#Interoperability
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 14, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Hertz PlatePass (Florida SunPass) Thread

We are in FL, rented from Hertz for a few weeks after car was totaled. Moved our Sunpass into the rental and added the rental plate to the sunpass account immediately. STILL got a $27.00 charge from platepass - how does that stilli happen when sunpass was picked up and charged each time?

Planning to send PP the copy of the SP activity and hopefully that will be enough. Hertz said there is no way to opt out and that they cant do anything when charges arise. There needs to be a box you check or don't check opting in or out of the program.
Old Jan 1, 14, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by lovesfashion View Post
We are in FL, rented from Hertz for a few weeks after car was totaled. Moved our Sunpass into the rental and added the rental plate to the sunpass account immediately. STILL got a $27.00 charge from platepass - how does that stilli happen when sunpass was picked up and charged each time?
Obviously it didn't read correctly on one of the tolling points, which is why you are supposed to list the license plate for all cars that the tag will be used in on your SunPass account.

If you had listed the car under your SunPass account during the time you had it then they would have charged your account and you would not have been charged by PlatePass.
Old Jan 2, 14, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Obviously it didn't read correctly on one of the tolling points, which is why you are supposed to list the license plate for all cars that the tag will be used in on your SunPass account.

If you had listed the car under your SunPass account during the time you had it then they would have charged your account and you would not have been charged by PlatePass.
Right, that's what I did "added the rental plate to the sunpass account immediately." So that's why I am suprised. I see all of the usage correctly listed for those dates on the rental on Sunpass so not sure how this is possible unlesss its double billing or the system just randomly read / didn't read the sunpass (which never happens)

I am hoping the activity list will be enough for PP but waiting to see their activity log to compare. Are us sunpass users in FL just basically at the mercy of whatever the system decides to do? Even if the SP isnt in the car as long as the plate is attached it won't give a ticket, so it's still better to let it do that than default to PP
Old Jan 2, 14, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Right, that's what I did "added the rental plate to the sunpass account immediately."
I'd be calling SunPass to query/complain about it, not PlatePass.

PlatePass is charging you because SunPass charged them, which based on what you've said should not have happened - all charges should have gone straight onto your account and nowhere near PlatePass. The fault here almost certainly lies with SunPass.

That's not to say that PlatePass won't simply reverse the charge on the grounds that it's easier than fighting it, but SunPass is who your real beef is with.
Old Jan 2, 14, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, basically you need to find out from PlatePass when they were charged by SunPass. If you can show that your own account was billed at the same time/location, that should be enough to get PlatePass to reverse the charges, though it might mean bringing SunPass into it to sort out the double-billing.
Old Jan 2, 14, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
I'd be calling SunPass to query/complain about it, not PlatePass.

PlatePass is charging you because SunPass charged them, which based on what you've said should not have happened - all charges should have gone straight onto your account and nowhere near PlatePass. The fault here almost certainly lies with SunPass.

That's not to say that PlatePass won't simply reverse the charge on the grounds that it's easier than fighting it, but SunPass is who your real beef is with.
Hmm, confused - how does sunpass charge platepass? I thought you go through, and one or the other charges you, or if its a mistake, both. Once I get the PP list of charges I will compare with the SP one, but from looking at the SP list it looks accurate for the entire time.
Old Jan 2, 14, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, confused - how does sunpass charge platepass?
PlatePlass is just the company that effectively places toll transponders (be they EZpass, SunPass, whatever) in the rental cars, and charges people for the use. They still have to pay the tolls that "their" cars go through to the tolling authority.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 2, 14, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
PlatePlass is just the company that effectively places toll transponders (be they EZpass, SunPass, whatever) in the rental cars, and charges people for the use. They still have to pay the tolls that "their" cars go through to the tolling authority.
Ahh, got it. Would be so much easier in FL if they just had the transponders we could pull off. Emailed SP and waiting on a response.

Update - pulled up the receipt. Nuts... was for Dec 17th, two entries $1 and $1.25 plus $4.95 per day fee for the full 11 days (of which 6 had already passed - how can they justify it BACK charging dates in the past!) On the SP receipt, there is activity for the transponder on the 17th also - but not those 2 exact entries from PlatePass. So it charged both the SP transponder and PP on the 17th, even though the transponder was attached and did not move. One charge was 20 minutes after the other, first SP then PP. How does this even happen?

Also found that our previous rental which was removed the morning we gave it back KEPT accruing charges on our account for a week. Lovely.

Also, how can the other rental we gave back go through a toll, and be charged via only a plate linked to a SP..but ours went to PP - is that because we had a Hertz and the other one was Enterprise?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 29, 18 at 6:03 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jan 3, 14, 8:10 am

I think the confusion is that unlike in the Northeast, where PlatePass places EZPass transponders in the cars (in a box that you can close if you don't want to use it), in Florida PlatePass doesn't actually place a SunPass transponder in Hertz cars, but instead relies on the Florida tolling authorities' use of "toll-by-plate" technology to pass along tolls to Hertz customers. And there's no way to shut that off (although in theory having a SunPass transponder should override it). So technically it wouldn't be SunPass (the transponder company) billing PlatePass, but whatever tolling authority (Florida's Turnpike or whatever) that billed PlatePass.
Auto Enthusiast and launcher like this.
Old Jan 3, 14, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themicah View Post
I think the confusion is that unlike in the Northeast, where PlatePass places EZPass transponders in the cars (in a box that you can close if you don't want to use it), in Florida PlatePass doesn't actually place a SunPass transponder in Hertz cars, but instead relies on the Florida tolling authorities' use of "toll-by-plate" technology to pass along tolls to Hertz customers. And there's no way to shut that off (although in theory having a SunPass transponder should override it). So technically it wouldn't be SunPass (the transponder company) billing PlatePass, but whatever tolling authority (Florida's Turnpike or whatever) that billed PlatePass.
Agreed. There should always be an option for the renter to remove a transponder for whatever reason. I guess it's just more profitable to default to the PP billing ($27) than the SP billing ($2.25)

I'm sending the info in to SP today and will see what they say.
Old Jan 3, 14, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themicah View Post
I'm operating under the assumption that SunPass IS the tolling authority. But I guess perhaps you're right in that a different division bills PlatePass via toll-by-plate than the division that uses SunPass, though for all intents and purposes, I think they're probably the same.

Update - pulled up the receipt. Nuts... was for Dec 17th, two entries $1 and $1.25 plus $4.95 per day fee for the full 11 days (of which 6 had already passed - how can they justify it BACK charging dates in the past!)
Per the agreement, you are charged the administrative fee for every day of the rental, if PlatePass is used once or more, up to a maximum fee. Yes, it's a rip-off and illogical. But so is the gas station closest to the Orlando airport.

On the SP receipt, there is activity for the transponder on the 17th also - but not those 2 exact entries from PlatePass. So it charged both the SP transponder and PP on the 17th, even though the transponder was attached and did not move. One charge was 20 minutes after the other, first SP then PP. How does this even happen?
Perhaps that's the delay in identifying the license plate via photo? And some sort of glitch in the system that keeps the SP charge from over-riding the plate-based charge? Definitely seems like a snafu. I would think you can argue to PlatePass that you already paid for those tolls via your SunPass, even though it shows your charge 20 minutes earlier. If they want to argue (with your credit card company....) that you somehow circled back and went through the tolls twice within 20 minutes, then let them try. Assuming you can account for every PlatePass charge with your SunPass (plus the ones after you returned the car), they should remove the administrative fee in full.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 29, 18 at 6:04 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jan 6, 14, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Ok, here's an update:

They claim one rental was not removed for a week (but they see me adding the next rental, and I got 2 confirmation of change emails that day.) Obviously no customer would log on, add rental 2, and just leave rental 1 on there that had been returned. They wouldn't refund, but gave me a fax # to send my plea in with the Enterprise contract showing when the car was turned in. Since obviously that new renter did not know I was being charged, he/she paid their own way and technically it was double billed. It's not a huge amount but will try anyway.

For the Platepass - they wre actually very nice and said as long as I can show that there was at least 1 other charge during that rental period on my SunPass, they will refund all of the administrative fees and just charge the normal toll. So that is all settled up. The guy had seen this happen before but couldn't explain how or why or what to do to avoid it. So I guess we are back to Enterprise for now.

SunPass also said the Mini's are never allowed in rentals - I guess it does work (mostly) but since it is stated in the agreement as not allowed, they aren't going to credit any errors coming from that. Sucks, so if we rent a car for a few days to take a road trip, we either have to pay cash every time or buy a portable.
Old Jan 10, 14, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, here's an update:

They claim one rental was not removed for a week (but they see me adding the next rental, and I got 2 confirmation of change emails that day.) Obviously no customer would log on, add rental 2, and just leave rental 1 on there that had been returned.
Huh? Why are there two rentals? Who is "they" here? How do you "remove" a rental?

They wouldn't refund, but gave me a fax # to send my plea in with the Enterprise contract showing when the car was turned in. Since obviously that new renter did not know I was being charged, he/she paid their own way and technically it was double billed. It's not a huge amount but will try anyway.
What does Enterprise have to do with this?
Old Jan 10, 14, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Huh? Why are there two rentals? Who is "they" here? How do you "remove" a rental?
One rental was from our insurance, the second one after that got returned was our own when insurance stopped paying. (And one more that had an issue so was swapped in the middle.) They meaning Sunpass, and removing meaning adding/removing the plate from the Sunpass account. They claim I left a returned rental on my SP account for one week, which is why it got billed.

What does Enterprise have to do with this?
Sunpass asked for the Enterprise contract showing we did return that one car on that date, to show it wasn't in our posession. I told them since the new reter obv had no idea we were getting charged they would have paid as well on their end. Will see what they say.
launcher likes this.
Old Feb 23, 14, 7:38 pm

Hertz PlatePasss (Florida Sunpass) Thread

I have a question regarding plate pass. Specifically how you opt out using it in FL? I need to rent a car and will be going with Hertz and will be traveling from RSW to Fort Meyers beach. Do you opt out in the contract and need to physically do something to a transponder in the car?

Whats confusing as I thought I read some places dont offer the ability to pay with cash, which by default then would force a rental cars to use the Platepass

I was considering becoming a Gold Member which I understand allows you to go directly to the lot. If you go directly to the lot can you still opt out?

I technically dont know if a toll fee is needed to get there but will assume one is.

Search this Thread