Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by m907
In most cases you'll receive their smallest or oldest available car. Are you getting a significant savings with manager's special vs. intermediate? You'd be better off booking intermediate and choosing with Ultimate Choice unless it's a huge savings.
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and cancelled the managers special and booked a midsized (C class) car instead
cestmoi123 and m907 like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:46 am

Greetings everyone,

I'm renting a managers special from ISP in august, one way to jfk for a weekend. I'm figuring that I'll get stuck with a yaris or something, which I probably won't fit in as im 6'1" and over 230 lbs. My thought was maybe if I booked managers special and got something awful, I could ask if there were any upgrades or anything (this will be my first time renting a car, so I'm not totally sure how this all works.)

Is that a thing you can do, ask if there are any upgrades or do they have to offer it. And if you can, is it worth it or no? I'll be driving all over Long Island that weekend, visiting a bunch of people.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:11 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk. Hopefully you'll find our threads about this insightful. Usually Managers Special is a category for the smallest car they have extra of. Since it's a one-way, and at location where you can not choose your own car, it's safe to assume you will get the worst car they have and want to get rid of. You may be very lucky in requesting something else, but that's generally not been the norm for other people's experiences.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Rented one for my first time in a while. I was going to be in TLH and knew I'd be driving fewer than 20 miles and it was $30 if I paid in advance. They gave me a 2019 Corolla with 8,000 miles which worked out very well.
Auto Enthusiast and Joonydell like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Hey FT Gurus,

Newly minted President's Circle Member here, but have a question.

Going to Maui and see a MGRs SPCL - if I book this, can I still use my PC status to get a pick from the PC lot? Or do I need to have a min. booking (ie - standard 4 dr/etc)?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rumples
Hey FT Gurus,

Going to Maui and see a MGRs SPCL - if I book this, can I still use my PC status to get a pick from the PC lot? Or do I need to have a min. booking (ie - standard 4 dr/etc)?

Maui does not have Ultimate Choice so there's no choosing from a PC lot to be done. But for future reference you need midsize or above. Manager's special, economy, and compact don't work for UC; anything else will.
Rumples likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:10 pm

Maui does not have Ultimate Choice so there's no choosing from a PC lot to be done. But for future reference you need midsize or above. Manager's special, economy, and compact don't work for UC; anything else will.

Thank you!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:46 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
...Going to Maui and see a MGRs SPCL - if I book this, can I still use my PC status to get a pick from the PC lot?
Maui does not have Ultimate Choice
Minor correction to the above; it appears that OGG now has Ultimate Choice in the new consolidated rental center. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31113299-post16.html
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Minor correction to the above; it appears that OGG now has Ultimate Choice in the new consolidated rental center. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31113299-post16.html
Oh perfect, thank you for the information!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:20 am

Hi all!

I am renting a Manager's Special from ORD in about a month or so (August 4th - August 26th).
I was planning on renting an economy car either way, so I don't see how I'll "lose" on this one.

Does anyone know which cars are more popular than others in ORD? I was thinking that economy cars were probably the most popular ones, since people would probably be driving in the city, but I honestly have no idea.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by michaelpa
Hi all!

I am renting a Manager's Special from ORD in about a month or so (August 4th - August 26th).
I was planning on renting an economy car either way, so I don't see how I'll "lose" on this one.

Does anyone know which cars are more popular than others in ORD? I was thinking that economy cars were probably the most popular ones, since people would probably be driving in the city, but I honestly have no idea.
There aren't a lot of economy cars in the fleet (although with a Manager's Special, you might well get one). Most common class in the fleet is probably midsize. While Manager's Special is by nature hard to predict, figure on something like a high mileage Sentra.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:05 am

Thank you!

In regards to the high milage; would it make sense to buy some sort of road side assistance (no idea if Hertz provide that), if it is a higher milage car? I wasn't planning on doing so, but I might consider it now.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:17 pm

I highly doubt most people are renting cars to drive in the city. Mass transit is available for that, as are Uber and Lyft. Rather, Chicago is probably more like NYC airports, where most people who need rental cars are going to the suburbs.

Regular roadside service covers breakdowns free of charge due to vehicle defects, like might be the case for some poorly maintained high mileage cars. But the premium roadside coverage is for customer negligence that would otherwise be charged, like running out of gas, or locking the keys inside.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:12 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Hey FT Gurus,

As long as they have the PC lanes, you can pick one from there. I did this at SJC (returning to SFO) earlier this month, Booked Manager's Special, stopped by the counter to ask, told I could take midsized, found a Maxima in PC lane, checkout with that and it was the same price. Since the MS is compact or higher, seems to satisfy the PC rules.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
As long as they have the PC lanes, you can pick one from there. I did this at SJC (returning to SFO) earlier this month, Booked Manager's Special, stopped by the counter to ask, told I could take midsized, found a Maxima in PC lane, checkout with that and it was the same price. Since the MS is compact or higher, seems to satisfy the PC rules.
That's not correct. Ultimate Choice requires intermediate or higher. Manager's special, economy, and compact do not qualify. Sounds like you took their instruction to take from midsize as permission to take from UC and they didn't care enough to turn you around at the exit booth.
AutoSlash and cestmoi123 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.