FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1494789-consolidated-im-renting-managers-special-what-kind-cars-expect-thread.html)

HWGeeks Aug 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

I just rented one for Tuesday anyone know what car I might get?

I like a mystery. It says economy or better and it's just 68 for the entire day after tax from JFK.

Don't really care what I get but am curious what others have gotten when they've taken on a managers special.

BTW the car just shows as a ?

Elola Aug 17, 2013 5:45 am

Manager Specials

I rented a Manager's Special ($43/day when even an economy rental was $100+/day) at EWR last weekend. Assigned car was a Yaris, which I despise more than any other car in the world, so I upgraded to a new Escape with under 5k on the odometer for $10 more/day.

All in all, I think the Manager's Special is a good way to get a cheap base rate from which to upgrade to a reasonable car for less than the normal res rate. You will most certainly be assigned the least desirable vehicle (in terms of model and mileage) in the inventory. The CSRs have gotta love this promo, it's probably the easiest upsell ever :p

HWGeeks Aug 17, 2013 7:18 am

I wonder if my 5* upgrade will be given.

Elola Aug 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks (Post 21288658)
I wonder if my 5* upgrade will be given.

I'm also a 5* and technically a Yaris (compact) is an upgrade from an economy (Aveo, traditionally), doesn't mean it's a better car. :cool:

HWGeeks Aug 20, 2013 9:16 pm

I got a 2013 Nissan Altima with 207 miles on it

Cymro Aug 21, 2013 3:13 am

I think that counts as winning!

HWGeeks Aug 22, 2013 2:43 pm

it was a nice ride.

When I got to JFK, the clerk said lets see what got we got for you, I told her probably a crappy one, and she said they wouldn;t do that to me. Just told me the stall.

BTW I purposely don't use the card on file for rentals I always go to the desk.

GW McLintock Oct 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Does anyone else have any reports of booking these? It now shows it as "Economy or Our Choice" and is often the same price as booking an ECAR.

Would it be better to book an ECAR or the EXAR special if the goal is to get a decent car at the lowest price?

-J.

potatotraveler Oct 18, 2013 7:56 am

I had a Chevy Captiva for the Managers Special in ALB last week. They offered me the only vehicle with XM radio - a Chrysler minivan - so I kept the Captiva.

roadman3313 Oct 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Burbank
Ran around $10/day for one day

Assigned a 2013 Chevy Impala w/ N/L and SAT with around 12k. I was expecting the worst but it was a well running car for a night and for that price it was a great deal!

Reno
Ran around $11/day for two days.

Assigned a Mercedes GL450 but given the choice at the counter of the Infinity G37x, Infinity FX37, Buick Enclave, or Cadillac CTS. I'm a PC but the Platinum member in front of me was assigned a Nissan Pathfinder with no other options... This Manager's Special rate is delivering some interesting result.

azepine00 Oct 21, 2013 1:34 pm

do manager's spacials qualify for points/miles?

GW McLintock Oct 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by roadman3313 (Post 21641034)
Burbank
Ran around $10/day for one day

Assigned a 2013 Chevy Impala w/ N/L and SAT with around 12k. I was expecting the worst but it was a well running car for a night and for that price it was a great deal!

Reno
Ran around $11/day for two days.

Assigned a Mercedes GL450 but given the choice at the counter of the Infinity G37x, Infinity FX37, Buick Enclave, or Cadillac CTS. I'm a PC but the Platinum member in front of me was assigned a Nissan Pathfinder with no other options... This Manager's Special rate is delivering some interesting result.

WOW!!! :eek:

-J.

ijgordon Oct 22, 2013 11:55 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 21644394)
do manager's spacials qualify for points/miles?

Well, I hope they qualify for promotions. Looking at a 2 day rental for $25 all-in in SEA, which is half the price of the Economy under pay now. Would be a nice way to get the 250 bonus points with the current promotion - I can get about $50 of value from that in Manhattan. ^

By the way, I had never heard of this before!

bhatnasx Nov 2, 2013 9:48 pm

Nissan Altima @ SAN. $10/day. Not bad. 5-star member using AAA CDP.

They did allow me to use Gold Choice & I switched to a Mazda with Neverlost (didn't charge me for the Neverlost). $19 all-in for a 24 hour rental.

Safti Nov 3, 2013 6:11 pm

How do you get a manager's special?