Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Aug 16, 13, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former Delta Plat., Hilton Gold, Amex Plat

I just rented one for Tuesday anyone know what car I might get?

I like a mystery. It says economy or better and it's just 68 for the entire day after tax from JFK.

Don't really care what I get but am curious what others have gotten when they've taken on a managers special.

BTW the car just shows as a ?
Old Aug 17, 13, 5:45 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Manager Specials

I rented a Manager's Special ($43/day when even an economy rental was $100+/day) at EWR last weekend. Assigned car was a Yaris, which I despise more than any other car in the world, so I upgraded to a new Escape with under 5k on the odometer for $10 more/day.

All in all, I think the Manager's Special is a good way to get a cheap base rate from which to upgrade to a reasonable car for less than the normal res rate. You will most certainly be assigned the least desirable vehicle (in terms of model and mileage) in the inventory. The CSRs have gotta love this promo, it's probably the easiest upsell ever
Old Aug 17, 13, 7:18 am
Original Poster

I wonder if my 5* upgrade will be given.
Old Aug 17, 13, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
I wonder if my 5* upgrade will be given.
I'm also a 5* and technically a Yaris (compact) is an upgrade from an economy (Aveo, traditionally), doesn't mean it's a better car.
Old Aug 20, 13, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

I got a 2013 Nissan Altima with 207 miles on it
Old Aug 21, 13, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I think that counts as winning!
Old Aug 22, 13, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

it was a nice ride.

When I got to JFK, the clerk said lets see what got we got for you, I told her probably a crappy one, and she said they wouldn;t do that to me. Just told me the stall.

BTW I purposely don't use the card on file for rentals I always go to the desk.
Old Oct 15, 13, 5:36 pm

Programs: Bee Six, DL KM, Hertz 5*, Carlson Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, Greyhound Road Rwds
Does anyone else have any reports of booking these? It now shows it as "Economy or Our Choice" and is often the same price as booking an ECAR.

Would it be better to book an ECAR or the EXAR special if the goal is to get a decent car at the lowest price?

-J.
Old Oct 18, 13, 7:56 am

I had a Chevy Captiva for the Managers Special in ALB last week. They offered me the only vehicle with XM radio - a Chrysler minivan - so I kept the Captiva.
Old Oct 20, 13, 11:40 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select+, Hertz Plat, National EE, IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat
Burbank
Ran around $10/day for one day

Assigned a 2013 Chevy Impala w/ N/L and SAT with around 12k. I was expecting the worst but it was a well running car for a night and for that price it was a great deal!

Reno
Ran around $11/day for two days.

Assigned a Mercedes GL450 but given the choice at the counter of the Infinity G37x, Infinity FX37, Buick Enclave, or Cadillac CTS. I'm a PC but the Platinum member in front of me was assigned a Nissan Pathfinder with no other options... This Manager's Special rate is delivering some interesting result.
Old Oct 21, 13, 1:34 pm

do manager's spacials qualify for points/miles?
Old Oct 21, 13, 10:13 pm

Programs: Bee Six, DL KM, Hertz 5*, Carlson Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, Greyhound Road Rwds
Originally Posted by roadman3313 View Post
Burbank
Ran around $10/day for one day

Assigned a 2013 Chevy Impala w/ N/L and SAT with around 12k. I was expecting the worst but it was a well running car for a night and for that price it was a great deal!

Reno
Ran around $11/day for two days.

Assigned a Mercedes GL450 but given the choice at the counter of the Infinity G37x, Infinity FX37, Buick Enclave, or Cadillac CTS. I'm a PC but the Platinum member in front of me was assigned a Nissan Pathfinder with no other options... This Manager's Special rate is delivering some interesting result.
WOW!!!

-J.
Old Oct 22, 13, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
do manager's spacials qualify for points/miles?
Well, I hope they qualify for promotions. Looking at a 2 day rental for $25 all-in in SEA, which is half the price of the Economy under pay now. Would be a nice way to get the 250 bonus points with the current promotion - I can get about $50 of value from that in Manhattan.

By the way, I had never heard of this before!
Old Nov 2, 13, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nissan Altima @ SAN. $10/day. Not bad. 5-star member using AAA CDP.

They did allow me to use Gold Choice & I switched to a Mazda with Neverlost (didn't charge me for the Neverlost). $19 all-in for a 24 hour rental.

Last edited by bhatnasx; Nov 2, 13 at 10:39 pm
Old Nov 3, 13, 6:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
How do you get a manager's special?

Search this Thread