Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by raisin
I have rented the Manager's Special 3 times. Twice, I received the Yaris. Once I got a Mercedes CLA 250.
Wow - When did the CLA250 make it to the fleet?! what location was this?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Got a Mercedes GL450 in HNL as a Managers Special
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
wow I started this thread over 2 years ago lol, but anywho my last 2 Manager Specials.

Got a Versa with a couple hundred miles, I kept it.

The second one was a Chevy Traverse, didn't want the gas gussler so they gave me a Chevy Impala with 9 miles on it.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:58 pm

Manager's Special - PC Member
DCA
Carfirmation: 2015 Buick LaCrosse (3k miles)
Requested/Assigned: 2013 Toyota Avalon (31k miles)

Not a huge fan of the LaCrosse (Feels unsecure/soft maneuvering around corners/the city) and I have driven the car several times now - Nice car overall, but wanted to try something new... Now I know - the current gen Avalon has a really crappy touch sensitive radio (Will change channels/audio source on bumps)
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:03 pm

Stumbled on this thread while trying to do research for an upcoming weekend trip to LAX.

Renting an EXAR with the Friends and Family CDP for $52 out the door, created a backup reservation (PCAR) in wife's name for $96 out the door.

Obviously I'll check my carfirmation but is there anything else I should be on the lookout at LAX if I don't like the EXAR (besides the obvious of taking the PCAR)? We're arriving Saturday morning if that makes any difference.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:46 pm

Booked an EXAR A6 managers special Feb 15-18 at LAS. $99 total for the three days. Upon arrival I was given...a minivan. I asked for anything but a minivan. The agent said a Toyota Yaris was available. Before leaving he said... "for $30 per day I can get you into a 2013 Corvette Convertible." Long story short -- I took the upgrade. 90 dollars + tax for three days in a Corvette during 80 degree weather. Not sure how that could ever be beat!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by zeus2120
Booked an EXAR A6 managers special Feb 15-18 at LAS. $99 total for the three days. Upon arrival I was given...a minivan. I asked for anything but a minivan. The agent said a Toyota Yaris was available. Before leaving he said... "for $30 per day I can get you into a 2013 Corvette Convertible." Long story short -- I took the upgrade. 90 dollars + tax for three days in a Corvette during 80 degree weather. Not sure how that could ever be beat!
Check your contract... usually that means $30/day on top of the original rate @:-)

-J.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Check your contract... usually that means $30/day on top of the original rate @:-)

-J.
$99 + $90 + tax (Around $230ish or so?) is still a very solid deal on a Corvette imo
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by CTNYC
$99 + $90 + tax (Around $230ish or so?) is still a very solid deal on a Corvette imo
Close guess. Came out to $218. I feel like it's a great deal..especially when I started off with a minivan on an EXAR rental!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Elevate Silver, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, National Exec
LAS
Reserved: Managers Special
Received: Chevy Sonic

Was pretty disappointed and so rented from Alamo instead at a cheaper rate and got a Camry.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: MR PremPlat, DL DM 1M, AA Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cornellalum
Hertz LAX weekend rental - booked the Manager's Special, received Nissan Versa. Employees at the Gold Counter and regular counters said that I could not use Gold Choice since I did not book midsize or larger. Both remarked that Manager's Choice means you get the lowest category that's available.
I guess mileage varies...because I was in Boston last week and they allowed me to pick a car on the Gold Choice aisle as a replacement to my Manager's Choice rental. So got an Impala instead of Sonic.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Got a Nissan Altima at Austin --- there were much better cars in Choice aisle, but wasn't allowed to switch into any of those because of the rate.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I am doing the Manager's Special at LAX this week...mostly out of novelty. I did a similar type thing on Expedia where you know the amount of *s the hotel has and area but not the name until you book and it was a nice change and surprise from the norm.

I'm fine with even the smallest car I'm really just using it to toot myself around. If for some reason they try to give me a mini van am I able to swap that down? Really don't want to have to deal with that and parking it in LA.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:06 pm

My first Manager's Choice experience here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24559210-post3680.html
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:55 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Back-to-back Manager's Choice at LNK (had to rent the 2nd 1 hour after returning the 1st due to airline irrops necessitating a drive up to OMA):

• Toyota Camry w/ 14k miles. Decent amenities (though no sat radio), but the car handled like an utter dog. Yes, it was windy, but the car felt like the wind was going to shove it off the road the entire trip.
  • Chevy Impala w/ 45k miles. No amenities to speak of, but at least it drove OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.