Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Under 25, will I get denied with Prestige rental?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Under 25, will I get denied with Prestige rental?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by SLV
Depends on your agent, I go mostly at night at SFO and have rented Camaro SS and G37 while being only 21. Good luck!
This should be interesting:
Due to scheduling changes, I will be arriving three days before the rest of the group, so I pushed back the two Escalades by three days. Then I did another Prestige for 3 days and it required me to pay a $25/day underage fee and a $150 deposit to hold. Seeing this $150 charge is mandatory, can they still deny my rental if they already charged me?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Update on this rental:

Dropped off the CTS-V I rented the two days before.

Went to pick up the Escalades only to find my name not on the Gold board. Uh-oh, I thought.

Turns out one of the Escalades was a late return, so they didn't prep it up yet and so couldn't rent it out to me. The other one was MIA. I eventually found the missing Escalade. They original said it was not for a one-way, but after a few phone calls the lady at the counter gave it me to me.

The other Escalade being unavailable, I was offered a few other vehicles including a Tahoe XL, Suburban, and an Armada, all of which I declined. They also tried the GLK350 which was like a big .... I saw they had a '12 GL450 on the Gold upgrades lane, so I asked about that. Turns out that's for local only, but they did find me a '13 GL450 which they could let me a do a one-way with. My dad likes the Merc, so that was a win I guess. Looks like the GL is only a base-trim though, so it doesn't have a rear camera and parking sensors (which is useful in a ginormous SUV).

I guess since under 25 means I wasn't suppose to a rent a Prestige there was no way to charge me the underage fees. But I had no issues getting them for the one-way.

Last edited by alphaod; Jul 15, 2013 at 7:47 am
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:36 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alphaod
Update on this rental:

Dropped off the CTS-V I rented the two days before.

Went to pick up the Escalades only to find my name not on the Gold board. Uh-oh, I thought.

Turns out one of the Escalades was a late return, so they didn't prep it up yet and so couldn't rent it out to me. The other one was MIA. I eventually found the missing Escalade. They original said it was not for a one-way, but after a few phone calls the lady at the counter gave it me to me.

The other Escalade being unavailable, I was offered a few other vehicles including a Tahoe XL, Suburban, and an Armada, all of which I declined. They also tried the GLK350 which was like a big .... I saw they had a '12 GL450 on the Gold upgrades lane, so I asked about that. Turns out that's for local only, but they did find me a '13 GL450 which they could let me a do a one-way with. My dad likes the Merc, so that was a win I guess. Looks like the GL is only a base-trim though, so it doesn't have a rear camera and parking sensors (which is useful in a ginormous SUV).

I guess since under 25 means I wasn't suppose to a rent a Prestige there was no way to charge me the underage fees. But I had no issues getting them for the one-way.
^ good to hear everything turned out well!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:06 am

Some of the luxury cars are probably leased, and must be returned to the local dealer, which would explain why they can not go one-way. The counter staff was probably searching for Hertz-owned cars to give you, since presumably they can be sold in whichever region of the country they eventually wind up in.

Just curious: Since this was a one-way out of CA, did the cars they gave you have out of state plates, and if so, from where? We've had several (old) discussions about this, but for high-end vehicle categories without easy substitutions, they may have had no choice but to give away CA-plated ones.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Some of the luxury cars are probably leased, and must be returned to the local dealer, which would explain why they can not go one-way. The counter staff was probably searching for Hertz-owned cars to give you, since presumably they can be sold in whichever region of the country they eventually wind up in.

Just curious: Since this was a one-way out of CA, did the cars they gave you have out of state plates, and if so, from where? We've had several (old) discussions about this, but for high-end vehicle categories without easy substitutions, they may have had no choice but to give away CA-plated ones.
Did not know about the leased vehicles.

As for the one-way both cars have CA plates. The GL I have has warped front brake rotors and when I went back they insisted on finding me a replacement with out-of-state plates, which confused me a bit.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:32 pm

You definitely do not want warped brakes crossing the country, and driving through multiple mountain ranges along I-80. You realized the problem fairly quickly, right? San Francisco alone has a lot of hills.

Now you know why the out of state replacement car. Was it the same type as you were originally given, or another make and model within the same class? I'm also curious as to what state.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
You definitely do not want warped brakes crossing the country, and driving through multiple mountain ranges along I-80. You realized the problem fairly quickly, right? San Francisco alone has a lot of hills.

Now you know why the out of state replacement car. Was it the same type as you were originally given, or another make and model within the same class? I'm also curious as to what state.
Actually the problem wasn't really that noticeable in the beginning. I thought it first it was air in the brake lines or perhaps an unbalanced wheel (or two). We were on our way to Yosemite when I realized it must have been warped front rotors. So we did some 500 miles that way.

Getting back to SFO they didn't have any suitable cars for me at all (the lot was so devoid of cars it was kind of weird). The manager suggested I call a few of the "Local Edition" Hertz sites all of which was of no use. As we didn't want to delay our trip, we continued onward down CA-1 to LA. This was about 1300 miles of driving total (including Yosemite). The more we drove, the worse it got. Anyways, after getting close to LA this morning, I called the LAX location and after some discussion they agreed to give me another GL450 for my one-way.

This replacement has Nevada plates, is cleaner, doesn't have any damage (the former was quite scratched up before receipt), and the brakes are great.

If indeed California plates are for local returns only, I'm not sure how they will deal with my one-way with the Escalade that I have (with CA plates).
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:12 am

They accept the CA-plated returns elsewhere, and can sell them with no problem into the local market. It's selling cars with out of state plates in CA they might have a harder time with. There might also be some kind of fine for renting a car with out of state plates for local use in CA. So they try to keep the CA cars there and get rid of the out of state cars.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
how much did it cost you for each car for 3 weeks?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fresar
how much did it cost you for each car for 3 weeks?
Actually ended up being only 16 days and it's $5530 after taxes and fees per vehicle.

Rate on the contract is $1823.99 per week before taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.