Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Under 25, will I get denied with Prestige rental?

Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt

I booked two one-way Escalades from SFO to JFK for 3 weeks in July.

I am under 25 (24), so I've been shafted more than once before. In the past I tried booking a Prestige and it didn't let me. So booked a standard and would request upgrades at the counter (I don't mind paying). Sometimes they let me, sometimes I get denied. Sometimes they charge the underage fee, sometimes they don't.

The issue is I booked the specific vehicle (it said on the reservation) and since it actually let me book this vehicle which surprised me; this is the vehicle I wanted to book.

What is the likelihood I'll get to the counter only to find they can't give the cars because I'm "underage?" On the website price I'm quoted has the underage fees. Three families are doing this road trip, so I can't settle for say two standard SUVs. Also not everyone wants to drive a zillion hours a day for 3 weeks straight so I want to avoid having more than two vehicles.

I'm also a President's Circle member if that makes any difference.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 4:46 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I think this is a YMMV situation, but I rented an E Class from ATL when I was 24 and they had absolutely no problem assigning me one (versus Sixt who absolutely would not rent me a C Class, so I walked right back over to Hertz and rented an E-Class from them again).
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Dozens of Prestige rentals all around the country, everything from the Escalade to the E63 before I turned 25, never had a problem anywhere
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:07 am

There are no underage fees with the Underage Coupon or free Gold Family (hertz.com/goldfamily). However, the expensive classes will be blocked out on the reservation page.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
There are no underage fees with the Underage Coupon or free Gold Family (hertz.com/goldfamily). However, the expensive classes will be blocked out on the reservation page.
Just tried a dummy booking using the GF CDP and none of the classes were blocked out, was free to book anything available
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by alphaod

I am under 25 (24), so I've been shafted more than once before. In the past I tried booking a Prestige and it didn't let me. So booked a standard and would request upgrades at the counter (I don't mind paying). Sometimes they let me, sometimes I get denied. Sometimes they charge the underage fee, sometimes they don't.

The issue is I booked the specific vehicle (it said on the reservation) and since it actually let me book this vehicle which surprised me; this is the vehicle I wanted to book.

What is the likelihood I'll get to the counter only to find they can't give the cars because I'm "underage?" On the website price I'm quoted has the underage fees. Three families are doing this road trip, so I can't settle for say two standard SUVs. Also not everyone wants to drive a zillion hours a day for 3 weeks straight so I want to avoid having more than two vehicles.

If you're counting on your credit card insuring you, make sure your credit card insures those types of vehicles. AmEx won't cover SUVs or trucks, and vehicles in excess of certain values (e.g., a mercedes, BMW, escalade may also be excluded by brand or model).
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum, National Emerald Exec Elite
I only have one location that I deal with that WILL NOT rent me Prestige ('m 6 months away from 25). It's actually become kind of a joke every time I return a Prestige vehicle on a one-way. Every other location is happy to take my money
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Looks like it can still be a hit or miss.

Originally Posted by jb008
If you're counting on your credit card insuring you, make sure your credit card insures those types of vehicles. AmEx won't cover SUVs or trucks, and vehicles in excess of certain values (e.g., a mercedes, BMW, escalade may also be excluded by brand or model).
I have the Premium option for $25; I was under the impression this one included SUVs and luxury vehicles.

Last edited by alphaod; Jun 26, 2013 at 1:39 am
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Depends which card you have. My Amex covers SUVs and any car up to $85k MSRP.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Since I'm renting from SFO, does anyone have experience with them directly related to underage rentals of Prestige vehicles? Also I just checked my quote again and it actually doesn't list an underage fee; instead there is a comment on the bottom that states my rental requires me to meet a certain age requirement.

I find most airports are lax with fees (additional drivers, etc.), so I have high hopes. Worse case scenario, I have to change the rental to my dad's name since he's coming along as long as it can still be charged to me.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AMEX covers SUVs. Just not full-size ones.

http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...rance/faq.html
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod

I got turned down at W 76th this morning. Sigh.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I've been turned down for Prestige at E 76th in Manhattan before. In fact, they've actually tried to turn me down for Premium (G) rentals, but upon my insistence that this is allowed, they relented. For sure YMMV.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
I got turned down at W 76th this morning. Sigh.
Luckily I live in NY so I don't have to really worry about this.

I only rent when I travel and usually I want only a small SUV or smaller car due to better mileage or easier parking. So I haven't really needed a Prestige rental much.

But it seems the results are always mixed.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:24 am
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
Depends on your agent, I go mostly at night at SFO and have rented Camaro SS and G37 while being only 21. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.