Reload this Page >

Where to stay on the Big Island?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay on the Big Island?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:04 pm

Is it OK to mention Priceline on this forum? The Hapuna Beach Prince hotel always has a ton of fans here, including on this thread, so thought I'd alert folks that they're showing up on Priceline for ridiculous rates lately. I mean, it's a risk, obviously, since you don't *know* you're going to get them -- but I got the weekend of Dec. 5 for $110/night. Unreal.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:03 am

If you want something a little bit more quiet. I would recommend Kona side. If you don't mind and want to do a little more around town I would recommend Hilo side.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Looking at a place called Uncle Billy's in Hilo .. anyone every stayed there?

Glen
Old Nov 7, 2008, 2:10 am

Programs: UA, HHonors Gold
Condo

Does anyone have any information on the following two

Kona Coast Resort vs Wyndham Kona Resort?

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 2:49 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
wyndham kona resort

The travel reviews about this resort are pretty good for people travelling w/ family. And the pics look nice too. My concern is internet connection as hubby has to log-on throughout the stay??
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Helen123
The travel reviews about this resort are pretty good for people travelling w/ family. And the pics look nice too. My concern is internet connection as hubby has to log-on throughout the stay??
We decided on the Wyndham Kona Resort since we could get a 2br for $329 a week.

I look forward to it.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Looking at a place called Uncle Billy's in Hilo .. anyone every stayed there?

Glen
2 star at best. People stay there on business when they have to.
Hilo does not have "resort hotels". We do have some nice B&B's.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.1 MM, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rparmfamily
We decided on the Wyndham Kona Resort since we could get a 2br for $329 a week.

I look forward to it.
If you don't mind my asking, how did you get that great deal? Did you buy the week from a timeshare owner, or is it one of those discounted stays where you have to set through a timeshare hard sell for most of a day?

Cheers
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:41 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by donnyb
2 star at best. People stay there on business when they have to.
Hilo does not have "resort hotels". We do have some nice B&B's.
Definitely limited pickings... especially when you decide 3 weeks before you trip to go to the Island.

I still have not found a place for us next week... was hoping for a simple condo with a water view in Hilo.... no luck whatsoever.

Guess I will probably break down for one of the main hotels.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:25 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I assume the vrbo option of a friend of mine in the PM I sent you didn't work out, or didn't look good? (It is nearby the best smoothie place on the island by a wide margin )

Well, I hope it's a good trip nonetheless.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Four Seasons Hualalai will make for a fabulous honeymoon and will prepare food to your specifications.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
This would be a good chance for me to plug the studio we stayed in recently in lower Puna. It is on the ground floor of a $500k home in the Puna Palisades subdivision which is off the Red Road and within walking distance to Kehena Beach (a real gem but not for everyone). For $350/week with tax and clean-out fee included it is appointed with a king-sized bed, slate floors and shower, granite counter tops, satellite tv, HOT TUB, fridge, coffee maker, microwave, stove/oven, private phone line, etc. The grounds are meticulously manicured with a fountain and statuettes and afford excellent privacy.
This location is only about a 15 minute drive to the county maintained area where you can watch the lava ocean entry near Kalapana. It is also near the heated thermal pools but away from most of the touristy things. ^ The weather here is excellent. I have spent 20 days in the area and have never had a day impacted by rain. Interestingly, only a mile inland is tropical rain forest.
Check out their site: www.kipukahouse.com
Tell them The Juiceman sent you.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:14 am

Hotel suggestions or deals for Big Island of Hawaii for mid-Nov 2009

Our family of 4 will be going to the Big Island for the first time in mid-Nov. for 6 nights. Any suggestions as to where to stay (kids-7 and 9yo love nice beaches) and any discount codes for hotels/resorts? So far, we have booked the Holua Resort at the Mauna Loa Village for 3 nights. Any feedback? Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I've never been to that island, but a search of "big island hotels" came back with a lot of hits and at least a few decent threads.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...ig-island.html
Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Probably the best beach on the Big Island is Hapuna Beach. If quick access to a great beach is a priority then a stay at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel is a good choice. It is no more than a five minute walk from any of the rooms to the beach.

They offer some "deals" through their website - 5th night free sort of things, etc, but I have also heard of Priceline rates of around $100 per night.

Many of the resorts on the Big Island only have so-so beaches. Hapuna and Mauna Kea (Mauna Kea Resort) have the best beaches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.