Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Where to stay on the Big Island?

Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold

Hey All,
I'll be on the Big Island for 3 days in May, and I wanted some advice on where to stay. We're kosher, so condos are helpful for preparing our own food. We plan to visit the volcanos (obviously), and the coffee plantations. I want to go all out; it is our honeymoon and last hurrah before 7 years of medical residency.
Thanks!

EDIT: OK, I see that a lot of this is answered already in another thread. Sorry!

Last edited by dtphonehome; Apr 3, 2008 at 1:11 pm Reason: newbie
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I think there is very good hotel in Big Island of Hawaii. You can eventually stayed there at Hilton Waikoloa Village near KOA. You can get good opportunity at hotel in Big Island or Hawaii. Here the website if you will have a good trip to Big Island of Hawaii. Here it is:

http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/index_flash.asp

I do slighty remember when we were there in Big Island of Hawaii from 12 years ago. If you want stayed at Ocean Tower or Lagoon Tower is mostly near the swimming pool. Hopefully you will able enjoyable where your convenient trip to Hawaii.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
For large, enjoyable condo, try Kona Coast timeshare (they also rent, I think). Get in the part they call I, not II.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:52 am

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
Hey All,
I'll be on the Big Island for 3 days in May, and I wanted some advice on where to stay. We're kosher, so condos are helpful for preparing our own food.
I'll put in a plug for the Fairway Villas at Waikoloa Beach Resort. You can rent them through a number of sources, including Outrigger, some other rental agencies or through VRBO. Here's the link to Outrigger:

http://www.outrigger.com/hotels-reso...fairway-villas

Orbitz has some special deals on these condos as well:

http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewSpecif...masterId=60611
Old Apr 4, 2008, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Thanks, all. I think I've decided to go with a hotel, as I'm sure after 7 days in a Maui condo I'll be craving luxury. Any advice as to luxurious (not Four Season, it's too pricey) oceanfront hotels with amazing beach views?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Thanks, all. I think I've decided to go with a hotel, as I'm sure after 7 days in a Maui condo I'll be craving luxury. Any advice as to luxurious (not Four Season, it's too pricey) oceanfront hotels with amazing beach views?
Well, you pretty much priced yourself out of the best hotel on the island...

...and the rest don't even compare.

However, the Sheraton Keahole has ocean-front rooms that should run you about $200/night. Also, try the Fairmont (still there?), as well as some of the locally owned properties in Kailua Kona (Seaside, King K, etc.). Some of these will have ocean view rooms, but not much else. And they are OLD.

If you are still interested in a condo, here's my favorite Kona property:

http://www.konabalikai.net/

I've stayed here a couple of times, and both times it was great. You can get a 1BR facing the ocean (literally like 10ft outside your lanai/window) for something like $250 (last time I checked - YMMV)

Good luck, and congratulations on your nuptials.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Ocean front rooms at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel have very nice ocean views and are a two minute walk to the beach. It is our favorite place to stay on the Big Island.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Ocean front rooms at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel have very nice ocean views and are a two minute walk to the beach. It is our favorite place to stay on the Big Island.
Oh right, I forgot about this pace. It's great! The only downside is that it's about an hour from Kona town, so you're captive of the hotel, but you'll have one of the world's greatest beaches at your front door. ^ ^
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rockdoc
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Oh right, I forgot about this pace. It's great! The only downside is that it's about an hour from Kona town, so you're captive of the hotel, but you'll have one of the world's greatest beaches at your front door. ^ ^
I actually made my reservation at Hapuna Prince before your posts...but they sent me an email and left a voicemail that they are doing some minor "cosmetic" repairs while I'll be there. Now I'm concerned about going there. They did offer a $35 per day credit, plus I'm already getting a $50 per day credit for a promotion. So it actually comes out pretty cheap, but if it's going to be a disaster I'm hesitant to go at any price. Should I consider the Hilton (about $50 a day more after the credits are factored in, but I heard it's too "Disneyland" busy)?

I'll have a rental car to get around, so I'm not worried about being a captive.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I don't know how essential having a beach immediately accessible is, but if you want romantic and stunning (and much closer proximity to the volcano) consider the Palms Cliff House on the east side of the Big Island near Honomu and north of Hilo a bit. www.palmscliffhouse. It is exceedingly pricey and exceedingly romantic There are no white sand beaches on the east side as there are on the west side (you'd be talking an hour and a half drive to Hapuna or Spencer beaches). But what the east side does have is so much more "old Hawai`i" than the west side and much less of a touristy experience. There are a few very good restaurants (e.g., The Seaside, Cafe Pesto, Hilo Bay Cafe, Coconut Grille) in Hilo (and Waimea is an hour away -- where, imo, the best restaurant on the island is). You're an hour from Volcanoes National Park (versus the > 2 1/2 hours from the Kohala resorts area.

I suspect, knowing both the owners and the cook at the Palms Cliff House, that they would try to help with any dietary stuff if at all possible.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold
I actually made my reservation at Hapuna Prince before your posts...but they sent me an email and left a voicemail that they are doing some minor "cosmetic" repairs while I'll be there. Now I'm concerned about going there. They did offer a $35 per day credit, plus I'm already getting a $50 per day credit for a promotion. So it actually comes out pretty cheap, but if it's going to be a disaster I'm hesitant to go at any price. Should I consider the Hilton (about $50 a day more after the credits are factored in, but I heard it's too "Disneyland" busy)?

I'll have a rental car to get around, so I'm not worried about being a captive.
Humm... Glad you posted about the repairs. I booked the Hapuna Prince for the last week in April through Expedia. No mention of repairs during my stay. I wonder if I should called Expedia or the Prince. I don't think I am under the $50 credit so, if the repairs are minor, then a $35. credit would be nice.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
(and Waimea is an hour away -- where, imo, the best restaurant on the island is). You're an hour from Volcanoes National Park (versus the > 2 1/2 hours from the Kohala resorts area.
You must be referring to Daniel Thiebaut's (sp?) in Kamuela.

That place is amazing! Definitely the best restaurant on the Big Island, if not all of Hawaii. I've gone to the Big Island specifically to eat there (it's a great meal after climbing Buster Brown )
Old Apr 6, 2008, 3:40 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by notsosmart
You must be referring to Daniel Thiebaut's (sp?)
I am indeed. Amazing place.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 3:44 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I lived on the Big Island for a few years, and PLEASE do not stay at the Hilton for your honeymoon. Yes, it is very much like Disneyland, there will be lots of families there. My two favorite properties on the Island are, the Hapuna Prince, and the Mauni Lani. If Hapuna is undergoing minor repairs, that probably wouldn't deter me from staying there, but the Mauna Lani wouldn't disappoint for a honeymoon either.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I would call the hotel and ask what they are having done. The hotel is nicely spread out and it could be that the work they are doing would only be a slight inconvenience (ie, having to walk past a work area or something like that).

We are staying there in late May-early June and have had no mention of work being done while we are there, so chances are it really is cosmetic stuff that shouldn't do anything to disrupt your stay. It really is a very nice hotel for the price.

Also, there are a ton of dining options in Waimea (as others have mentioned) which is only about 20 minutes or so up the road. And whatever you do, don't stay at the Hilton for your honeymoon - it has no romantic charm whatsoever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.