Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hawaiʻi SuperFerry: Status, discussion, trip reports, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hawaiʻi SuperFerry: Status, discussion, trip reports, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by jtkauai
Yeah, right Give it another several years, things don't happen that fast
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: Sunoco Gas Card
http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/

Nothing I'm aware of will likely prevent them starting next year as planned. However given the airline price war, I don't know how many passengers they will be carrying vs. cargo.

It seems that the impact on inter-island cargo could be huge, in sharp contrast with the current Young Bros. barges. Young Bros. wants to exit the retail cargo transportation area, and only accept full containers starting 1/07.
Great, thanks... good point about cargo, but I think they will do well with pax - these low airfares won't always be around.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Rental cars?

I wonder how the rental car companies will handle this. Specifically, will they allow you to take your rental car on the ferry?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by loomis
I wonder how the rental car companies will handle this. Specifically, will they allow you to take your rental car on the ferry?
There has been talk both ways, but here's what was decided:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Starbulletin
One step that will help Hawaii Superferry is the action the Legislature took last year to remove a law that required lien-holders, such as finance companies, to give their permission every time a rental car was taken off an island. Now renters will be able to drive on to the ferry and go where they please.
http://starbulletin.com/2003/09/21/business/story1.html

Old Jun 17, 2006, 2:25 pm

Programs: Peon in all
That is good news! ^

They expect to start service in 2006? I thought 2006 ended in less than 6 months?

According to the article, DOT has not (and will not begin) building infrastructure for the service yet!

When we get a firm financial commitment from a private ferry company is when we will start building infrastructure to accommodate ferry service.
I don't know of any DOT that can complete the work in 5 1/2 months!
Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by the_traveler
That is good news! ^

They expect to start service in 2006? I thought 2006 ended in less than 6 months?

According to the article, DOT has not (and will not begin) building infrastructure for the service yet!

I don't know of any DOT that can complete the work in 5 1/2 months!
"In mid 2007, Hawaii Superferry begins daily ferry service to Oahu, Maui and Kauai. Daily service to the Island of Hawaii begins in 2009".
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just a bump for all parties interested:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...607230351.html

An article in today's paper detailing the possible hiccups the ferry's anticipated start-up date can have.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:20 am

Programs: Peon in all
In worst-case scenarios, some drivers in 2009 might end up seeing more than a minute added to their waiting time
Only a minute? I would love a minute delay! I regularly have delays of 40-60 minutes!

It doesn't make sense that farmers, etc... on Maui want an ES done before startup. That will only delay their options to get to Oahu. Or have visitors get to Maui. Superferry has already reduced their Maui schedule from 2 per day to 1 per day. As far as I see it, the only thing lower is -0- per day! (Is that what they want? )

I find it surprising that only Maui wants the delay - none of the other islands!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:19 pm
DH

Originally Posted by RodneyBD
Anyone have an update on the new fast ferry? Launch date and route?
Looks like the service will begin in July serving Maui and Kauai.

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/default.aspx
Old Mar 3, 2007, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by DH
Looks like the service will begin in July serving Maui and Kauai.

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/default.aspx
I'd say that the consensus here isn't too favorable about the ferry. Especially as long as air fares remain reasonable. We fear it will likely bring more harm than good.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'd say that the consensus here isn't too favorable about the ferry. Especially as long as air fares remain reasonable. We fear it will likely bring more harm than good.
Traffic traffic traffic... As if it can't get any worse.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:34 pm
DH

As long as Go is around. But what if (or when?), Go folds (since it too is not too favorable to Hawaii residents) and interisland ticket price go back?
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DH
As long as Go is around. But what if (or when?), Go folds (since it too is not too favorable to Hawaii residents) and interisland ticket price go back?
Then people probably won't go anywhere (or revert back to Mainland/Vegas travel) since the ferry itself will be both time consuming and not the cheapest thing on the block (when you factor in the cost to ship both yourself and your car r/t).
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

New study will not delay Superferry

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...703070399.html

Originally Posted by HonoluluAdvertiser.com
The Hawai'i Superferry would be able to launch in July as planned while the state conducts an environmental study on its potential effect on state harbors, under a compromise agreed to by the state Senate yesterday.

LEGAL WATERS

ISSUE: Neighbor Island state senators and many environmentalists wanted the state Department of Transportation to prepare an environmental impact statement on the influence of Hawai'i Superferry on harbors.

HISTORY: State ruled that harbor improvements for the Superferry are minor and do not warrant a review. That decision has been upheld in court but is on appeal. A separate lawsuit challenges whether the state adequately considered the Superferry in its 2025 master plan for Kahului Harbor on Maui.

COMPROMISE: The Senate amended a bill yesterday to require the state to pay for and conduct a review of the Superferry. The Senate is scheduled to vote on the bill tomorrow. Approval would send it to the House, where key lawmakers oppose the plan.
So we're still on track. I seriously think the SuperFerry right now is a bad idea, but hey, guess we'll have to wait and see...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by slippahs
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...703070399.html

So we're still on track. I seriously think the SuperFerry right now is a bad idea, but hey, guess we'll have to wait and see...
I haven't followed the story lately. Last I checked, the interisland air market has gotten very competitive. That would seem to work against the economic justification of the ferry, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.