Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hawaiʻi SuperFerry: Status, discussion, trip reports, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hawaiʻi SuperFerry: Status, discussion, trip reports, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2003, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum

According to the Maui News, Norweigan Cruise Lines is going to start an inter island ferry service next year. If this is the case then won't Hawaiian and Aloha airlines be in big trouble? I would love to try out a nice leisurely ferry service instead of the craziness at the airport. I wish I had more details.

Does anyone know anything more on this?
Old Jul 30, 2003, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know about that. Those seas looked pretty big to me. Would take a very large boat to smooth out the trip.

I also think the seas are too big for a hydrafoil.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Somewhat related thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000264.html

Inter-island ferry service has been bandied around for a while. Back in the 70's hydrofoil service was established (SeaFlite) between the islands, but the local sea conditions proved too rough and the equipment suffered from frequent breakdowns (imagine being stuck, rolling in 8'-10' seas for a few hours)

In the early 90's a ferry was tried from West O`ahu to downtown Hononolu, but failed due to low passenger use. There also has been limited service from Maui to Moloka`i and Lana`i at one time or another.

The channels between O'ahu and Kaua`i and Moloka`i can be pretty rough, and the channel between the Big Island and Maui can be some of the nastiest water you'd want to see in a small boat.

It's really a shame that there isn't a viable solution; Hawai`i, when viewed from the ocean, is an exhilarating experience.

[Edited to add a link to a news story that contains a recap of historical attempts at inter-island ferry service]

http://starbulletin.com/2002/03/10/business/story1.html

[This message has been edited by FlyinHawaiian (edited 07-30-2003).]
Old Jul 30, 2003, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:
I don't know about that. Those seas looked pretty big to me. Would take a very large boat to smooth out the trip.

I also think the seas are too big for a hydrafoil.
</font>
The distances between the islands are less than 100 miles. From HNL to OGG is about 99 miles, and the harbors are close to the airports so the distance is fairly accurate. A two hour trip -- not that long on the open ocean and although it does look choppy from a plane, these ships can make the routes, etc.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slippahs:
The distances between the islands are less than 100 miles. From HNL to OGG is about 99 miles, and the harbors are close to the airports so the distance is fairly accurate. A two hour trip -- not that long on the open ocean and although it does look choppy from a plane, these ships can make the routes, etc.</font>

I looked at it from boats, not planes, and the Eastern Shoreline beaches. I'm not talking about the seas between Maui and Molokai, but those rollers hitting the East side of the Islands frequently.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:

I looked at it from boats, not planes, and the Eastern Shoreline beaches. I'm not talking about the seas between Maui and Molokai, but those rollers hitting the East side of the Islands frequently.
</font>
Not quite understanding what you're talking about. Our swells are not constant over the year -- winter swells come in from the North, summer swells come in from the South, if that's what you mean by "rollers," and yes, looking at it from "boats" would merit about the same distances between the islands.

The ferry service initially is not scheduled to run past Maui, so the "seas" at question here would be the Moloka`i channel.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:17 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
What's the fuss about? There already is ferry service Maui-Molokai-Maui and Maui-Lanai-Maui. Given that a one-way ticket between Maui and Molokai is $40 I don't think the airlines have anything to be concerned about.

http://www.mauiprincess.com/molokai.htm

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 07-31-2003).]
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:39 am

How long do they say the trip between islands would take and is it a car-ferry?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
You an catch the article at www.mauinews.com. Look under the July 27th headline, towards the bottom. The story is confusing and now I don't know quite what to make of it. Why would you need 2100 workers for an interisland service? If anyone can decipher it, would you kindly ley me in on the scoop?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
svenskaflicka After reading the article (thanks for the link, BTW), I think it needs to be clarified that what Norweigan Cruise Line offers is not really point-to-point ferry service, but leisure sightseeing cruising between the islands.

letiole thank you for reminding me of the Moloka`i to Maui ferry, which, if memory serves me, was initiated to help the residents of Moloka`i, which has the hightest unemployment rate in the state of Hawai`i, commute to job positions on Maui.

There is no auto ferry service in Hawai`i (well, there was service to and from Ford Island in Pearl Harbor before they built a bridge a few years ago). All cars that are moved inter-island are shipped on barges.

[This message has been edited by FlyinHawaiian (edited 07-31-2003).]
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Ferries to be built for Interisland Service

And thus it begins...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln03a.html

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">A Hawai'i firm planning to start an interisland ferry service within three years has signed an agreement to buy two newly built 900-passenger, 280-vehicle vessels for the service, officials said yesterday.

Hawaii Superferry said yesterday it hopes to have the first of the four-story high, 340-foot-long catamarans carrying passengers, vehicles and freight between O'ahu, Kaua'i, Maui and the Big Island beginning in 2006.

The high-speed ferries, costing about $75 million each, would be built in Alabama in a joint venture with an Australian firm that specializes in designing and constructing ocean-going vessels that have enough speed and stability to ensure passenger comfort, Superferry officials said.</font>
Anyone forecast the downfall of the interisland carriers right now?

[This message has been edited by slippahs (edited Jan 14, 2004).]
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I do, I do .

Seriously, with the amount of time it takes to get to & on a plane, I'd love the option of a ferry ride.

I'd rather enjoy the sea while spending my 4 hours to go interisland than sit in the airport, as nice as it may be.

Mary
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
See also http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000313.html .
Old Jan 14, 2004, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mary2e:
I'd rather enjoy the sea while spending my 4 hours to go interisland than sit in the airport, as nice as it may be.</font>
Well... the views from sea are actually pretty incredible

Although I am one to get very very seasick. Living on an island, that's not good...

aloha
Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln03a.html

Update on the water ferry.

aloha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.