Reload this Page >

Consolidated "When to buy tickets to Hawaii, how to get cheaper?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "When to buy tickets to Hawaii, how to get cheaper?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
How much to Hawaii for Xmas?

That is the very very peak of the season
But you could look at fares from Pdx or bli Bellingham on Alaska
Also look for low fares to other islands then take the 20 min flight to Hnl from ogg or 40 min flight from Kona on the big island
Old May 23, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
If your'e travelling with a companion, I'd suggest to book with Alaska for 2 reasons:
1. Use a companion cert (easy to obtain with BoA Visa). This is great value for this type of flight.
2. Book as soon as you have your companion cert available. Then, keep monitoring fares in the meantime (yapta.com or similar) and use Alaska's best rate guarantee if the price drops. That way you're protected whether prices rise or fall. Note that this strategy would only be useful if you use any resulting AS credit within a year.

Last edited by braffy; May 23, 2013 at 10:18 am
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:42 am

HNL > LAX $480 in June. Good price?

Hello,
I need to book a one-way flight from Honolulu to Los Angeles on Saturday, June 28th. I've been looking for about a week now and the lowest has been an 8am departure on Hawaiian for $474 that just went up 2 days ago to $480. I realize this is high season but does anyone have any advice on whether I should keep waiting til it gets closer to the date to see if the price will go down? I'm afraid of taking a chance in case it goes up.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:01 pm

June/July airfare yvr-HNL

Trying to determine when would be best time to buy airfare from YVR to HNL for best price. Right now it appears prime time arrivals near noon and no red eyes will cost $1100 per person. Thank you for suggestions
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:41 am

Just wanted to update:

Fares in November were the same price as in May. About $900-1000 for a RT for Dec 24 - Jan 1. Surprised me. Yes, the companion fare is great for this.

I noticed the same exact dates for next Christmas are already around $900-1000.

Things got really bad right around Dec 10, as availability completely booked up.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
How much to Hawaii for Xmas?

Traveling on XMas day is usually a bit lower and/or has ff miles availability too
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:03 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Let's move this over to the Hawai'i forum for the experts there to chime in. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
The closer in the more expensive it will get, never can tell when /if there may be a sale.

Have you considered getting the AlaskaAir credit card (there is a Cdn card). You get a US$99 (+tax) companion fare that will help bring down the cost.

You may have to to overnight in SEA on return if you want to avoid the red-eye though.
Old May 17, 2014, 4:10 pm

Fights to Kauai

Hello all! I live in Alberta, and our family of 4 would love to go to Kauai for Christmas this year. Been watching flights since January and they haven't budged! I never book flights this far out from our trips. Usually 3-4 months is when I find the sales. I just don't know how it works for Christmas in Hawaii though. Will there likely be a seat sale in the summer or fall, or no way?

Thanks for any advice! It's hard to know when to pull the trigger! I hate getting ripped off! The best I can find without having 2-3 stops is about $1500 from Calgary or $1300 from Vancouver with West Jet.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
IMHO, Christmas flights are only going to get more expensive the closer you get.
Old May 18, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Having booked Christmas flights to Maui for 20 years I would recommend buying at those fares. Indeed I bought our tickets this year in February at 1500 each from Ohio to Maui. These tickets seldom go on sale, especially in recent years.
Old May 19, 2014, 5:38 pm

Looking to book 2 RT direct flights from DFW to OGG or DFW to HNL for either end of August -September (Labor day week) or later through Oct for 7 nights. I've been monitoring prices since early April. Seems it dipped as low as $839 but it is back up to $879. I know I should have bought when it was $839 but was holding out for a better deal. Do you think the prices will only climb as we approach end of August?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:38 pm

Suggestions for making our Hawaii airline tickets cheaper?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Kauai and Big Island, with maybe a few days on Oahu if it's financially worth stopping (big enough discount on the flight). My plan is the following:

- Fly out of Detroit in the morning of Friday October 10th, into Kauai
- Use Delta skymiles for inter-island flight to Kona (she and I each have about 22,000 miles we can use, it's showing 15,000 for the flight)
- Fly home from Kona late Sunday night October 26, arriving home on the 27th

Any suggestions on ways to make that cheaper? I'm showing rates around $940 per person for the flight to Kauai plus the flight home. Rates were showing around $825 last week - hope they drop back down.

I do have a Delta companion certificate, but it only allows flight within the contiguous US. I suppose I could fly to California with that and then make my own connection on to Hawaii, but would be concerned with missing a flight, and the savings might not be that big in the end.

Looking for any suggestions. We thought about adding a day or two on Oahu if that would make the flights cheap enough to justify.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Welcome to FT. I would spend 2 or 3 days on Oahu to see the main sites and abt. 6 days each on Kauai and the Big island. AA and UA 5K or 6K miles for a one way interisland flt. On United's main page you'll see an ad for a cr. card that will give you 30K miles. That would cover 5 one way trips.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
As an Oahu resident, I wouldn't spend any time here if your time is limited. Big Island and Kauai are much better if your main goal is getting away from the crowds and just having a nice vacation. Unless you want something more urban and more nightlife, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.