Reload this Page >

Consolidated "When to buy tickets to Hawaii, how to get cheaper?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "When to buy tickets to Hawaii, how to get cheaper?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:43 pm

If I want to book a "Multi-City" Flight in April (LAX-OGG/HNL-SFO) should I wait or book it now?

On Hawaiian Airlines it costs now 450 Dollar. Very expensive I think, maybe it's because they don't fly non-stop to Maui in April!?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:11 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For April that's not a bad price at all.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
For April that's not a bad price at all.
Thank you! I've booked it! :-)
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Tickets now down to $300 RT on Alaska from the Bay Area for travel in the next week. Not sure how far out that extends. Just got a $40 credit from AS on my tickets.

Almost mileage run territory
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:14 pm

All,

Similar to the last few posts, in late July 2013 we have a mini-reunion on Kauai, traveling from SAN and Bay Area.

Would you buy now or wait on these fares?

AS, SJC<->LIH, n/s, $458
AS, OAK<->LIH, n/s, $517
UA, SFO<->LIH, via HNL return, $620

HA, SAN<->LIH, via HNL, $665
(UA/DL/AA are a bit pricier, with ill-timed connections, particulary since the SAN group has 2 little kiddos.)

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For July, those strike me as good prices.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
For July, those strike me as good prices.
Thanks. I agree on the Bay Area fares, especially as n/s on AS.

I think I'll hold off on the HA SAN fares, though. Went mid April 2011, and got low $400's. So, still "feels" a bit high.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by aptravel
All,

Similar to the last few posts, in late July 2013 we have a mini-reunion on Kauai, traveling from SAN and Bay Area.

Would you buy now or wait on these fares?

AS, SJC<->LIH, n/s, $458
AS, OAK<->LIH, n/s, $517
UA, SFO<->LIH, via HNL return, $620

HA, SAN<->LIH, via HNL, $665
(UA/DL/AA are a bit pricier, with ill-timed connections, particulary since the SAN group has 2 little kiddos.)

Thanks in advance!
So, prices have inched up, and now I'm wondering if they'll ever go back down again given that late July is high season.

AS, SAN<->LIH, n/s, $598
This route is actually a great thing because it's a new n/s for us in SAN, and it's still cheaper than HA via HNL by about $140.

Also, I'm aware that I can purchase now, and refare if the fare goes down, banking it for a future AS flight. But, I don't fly them much, and there are 4 passengers, so not ideal!

Looking forward to anyone's educated predictions!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am currently looking at some date for late June, the prices are incredibly high: $750+RT on AS from OAK and $1000RT on UA from SFO. Interesting as early June shows AS flights $400-500, but everything jumps once school is out.

Some who have studied fare patterns concluded that airlines do not begin to worry much about inventory until 3-4 months prior to ETD. As there is plenty of inventory (check seat maps) I don't see prices going much higher. So I am holding off, and will re-consider the options in March.

That being said, if you see at sale fare for summer dates @ <$500/RT I would jump on it. Ditto for any award seats at saver levels assuming you don't have better use for miles.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
That being said, if you see at sale fare for summer dates @ <$500/RT I would jump on it. Ditto for any award seats at saver levels assuming you don't have better use for miles.
Thanks for the insight. Totally agree with you on the <$500/RT price point.

Kayak now has a "price predictor" like bing (at least, I think it's new), and it predicts yet another increase in the next week or so.

Still, I'll wait it out.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another data point - Alaska just blasted out a fare sale $149-179 one-way from the west coast to hawaii through March 13. IME this is par for the course - short term sale to fill unsold seats over the next 0-3 months.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:57 pm

How much to Hawaii for Xmas?

Hi,

I want to book a ticket Seattle to Honolulu from 12/24-1/1.

Right now tickets are about $900 RT.

I wonder how much these would cost if I waited until November to book? Would prefer to wait to book until Nov if possible.

I assume frequent flyer miles would be really tough to redeem during Xmas. I've got United and AA.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can easily check award-seat availability on aa.com (for AA and AS), and on united.com (for UA).
Old May 23, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by yukon50
I wonder how much these would cost if I waited until November to book? Would prefer to wait to book until Nov if possible.
I would not wait until November. Hawaii tends to book further out especially for a holiday like Christmas. Even with the added capacity at Christmas, most flights to/from go out 100% full with only the highest fares sold. By November, it's almost certain that prices will be higher than what you're seeing now.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by yukon50
Hi,

I want to book a ticket Seattle to Honolulu from 12/24-1/1.

Right now tickets are about $900 RT.

I assume frequent flyer miles would be really tough to redeem during Xmas. I've got United and AA.
Pay $900 now. Wait til November pay $1900-2900 or more.
As others have noted, you can check on UA and AA availability on respective carrier websites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.