Reload this Page >

Consolidated "When to buy tickets to Hawaii, how to get cheaper?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "When to buy tickets to Hawaii, how to get cheaper?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pegs
Thanks everyone for the input. We have a timeshare so we can't book a vacation package which often has great deals.
Actually, often you can. As I said, United Vacations will let you specifiy how many days you want a car and/or a hotel. Try it with your flight dates and then, say, one day of a car rental. Then don't use the car if you don't need it.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jtkauai
As for HA specifically, they load first fares 330 days in advance. These are usually considerably higher, designed for people who want to book specific dates way out, without regard to best price. They load seasonal fares at about 120 days out. That's when they have a feeling on the market factors, and when you can get their best pricing, if there is any to be had.

Award tickets are obviously different.

cblaisd's idea is a good one. I forgot that.

I'd also the HNL travel agency cites.
Actually this seems to be the case for all airlines. I've had no problem booking travel for highly dense travel periods at reasonable cost a few weeks prior, with both travel commencing from Honolulu and the Mainland.

Now, booking Thanksgiving weekend or right around Christmas is an entirely different story.

As to the OP, I would wait out a bit to book Spring Break travel roughly around November, when I've noticed travel to be the cheapest. If really is a game of insurance, per say, to be booking a ticket now at a higher price. A) Your travel plans are secure early out. B) If the flight sells out within the next few months, you still have a seat. C) You can secure all your other travel arrangements (e.g., hotel stays, timeshares schedules, rental cars) in advance.

Personally, I'd wait till after this busy summer season to see what types of lower fares the airlines will offer and go from there. Labor Day and after should bring down the fares of a really difficult travel season throughout the country.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
When Will Fall Fare Sales Come Out?

If anybody has tracked seasonal fare sales to Hawaii...when are Fall fares likely to go "on sale"? I'm torn between waiting and booking now, although prices are high!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
My guess is ~ August 15
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8/15/07 12:01 am HST.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Since the OP lists United Airlines in her profile, I will mention that United has a policy of offering a voucher for the difference if the fare decreases any time after the time the ticket is purchased. A search of the UA Forum archives will provide additional details regarding this policy.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:34 pm

Wow! I'll wait til 8/15, then. Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
For our west-coast FTers, I'm seeing mid-September LAX-HNL fares on HA at $155 each way for purchase now, if you want 'em. Pretty good.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I seem to recall the sales starting in late summer for fall travel.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
There is currently a $461+ ORD-SFO-HNL fare on AA for September and October. I certainly took advantage of that
Old Jun 12, 2007, 7:26 am

Thanks for the input...I'm aware of the vouchers that UA issues, but I have read some very negative things about actually receving them in the UA forum, especially if you request them on-line. I've got some specific flights/times in mind as we are trying to minimize the amount of time the kids are out of school and reduce travel time as we're traveling with a 5 year old as well. I'll just keep checking!
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:04 pm

When to purchase tickets to HNL from SEA or YVR for December

Going on a cruise from Dec. 12 to 22 departing from Honolulu. I was looking at flights flying out of Seattle or Vancouver, BC. For flying in and out on the same day with no further stay in Honolulu, cheapest flight is about $380 on Hawaiian Airlines out of Seattle. If I fly out on Dec. 24, cost goes down to $325 on NW.

Of course, I would have to factor hotel or other accommodation costs for the 2 extra days.

Should I purchase my tickets now or wait to see if there will be any sales coming up. I realize that no one here is prescient, but just wondering if anyone has been tracking prices for Dec. flights from previous years.

We will already be in Honolulu for 2 days during the cruise so are there enough things to do if we stay another 2 days.

There are 8 people in our group consisting of middle aged couples and late teens.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by cnlc
Going on a cruise from Dec. 12 to 22 departing from Honolulu. I was looking at flights flying out of Seattle or Vancouver, BC.......
Welcome to FlyerTalk, cnlc!

Buy 'em now, brah! Those are good prices! And my Magic 8-Ball says they have nowhere to go but up! (Think fuel costs.) Anything under $400 r/t HNL-mainland is a "buy" for me. Wish our flights were <$400. We're paying approximately $450 r/t HNL-LAS; 10 trips, from August into next May. Here's my recent HA purchases: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=314

Have fun on FlyerTalk!

Aloha Kakou

kaukau

Last edited by kaukau; Jul 15, 2007 at 9:51 pm
Old Jul 15, 2007, 9:23 pm

GRAB them NOW... Chances are there are only a few seats at that rate. Don't risk it. You could probably get decent rate for the night somewhere. Also you never know about delays with weather at that time of year (think there were MAJOR problems around Dec. 18th last year).
Happy planning.
Carolyn
Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:20 am

Airfare from California to Hawaii - when to purchase?

Hi everyone,

New poster here.

We want to go to Hawaii next August... Maui and Oahu (our last trip to Hawaii was in 2004).

Right now I can get airfare for $197 one-way, $24 interisland, and $143 return (cheapest to do a combo of Aloha and Hawaiian). Total price is about $407 w/ taxes.

Should I book now (nearly 10 months in advance)? Normally I wouldn't book this early, but with the price of fuel, etc. I wondered if would be better to go ahead and purchase.

I notice ATA does not book that far out so I can't compare prices on their airline (also we've never flown ATA).

Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.