Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Pacific Turbulence

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Recent Pacific Turbulence

I've noticed that the turbulence over the Pacific on the mainland routes has been more prolific for the last few weeks than I'm used to seeing, and I've lived in the islands for about 10 years now. Lots of moderate turbulence reports and even a few reports of severe scattered about. I haven't seen any major storms between Hawaii and the mainland, so what's stirring things up so much more than usual, and when can we expect it to get better?
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by alenguy
I've noticed that the turbulence over the Pacific on the mainland routes has been more prolific for the last few weeks than I'm used to seeing, and I've lived in the islands for about 10 years now. Lots of moderate turbulence reports and even a few reports of severe scattered about. I haven't seen any major storms between Hawaii and the mainland, so what's stirring things up so much more than usual, and when can we expect it to get better?
Where are you seeing the PIREPS for turbulence over the Pacific Ocean?
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlaue
Where are you seeing the PIREPS for turbulence over the Pacific Ocean?
aviationweather.gov
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
In my experience, the Pacific routes always seem to have more turbulence. The route from around Alaska down to Japan always seemed to be guaranteed. I am shocked when I have a flight to Hawaii and dont have "some" turbulence. I am not an expert on this subject but I dont think it really takes a severe storm to create severe turbulence.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

I'd agree that most flights will have some turbulence. I wouldn't debate that fact, but what I'm saying is that things are significantly worse in both the intensity and the number of turbulence reports over the past 10-12 days or so. I don't see an obvious reason for this shift such as storms or unusually strong winds aloft between HI and the mainland, so I'm looking for some insight, perhaps from pilots or forecasters, who might have some knowledge about why this happening and when it might end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.