Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2021, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs and FlyinHawaiian, Hawaii Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Maui County (OGG, LNY, MKK) Visitors After Oct 15 - What to Expect?

As things look - stable - for the time being while they work out the arrival kinks, I'm getting cautiously optimistic for our flight in just over a week.

On that same note, we are really trying to make sure we support local restaurants/shops - if anyone has any local suggestions near Lahaina or Kihei that we can patronize, please post it here.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by SAM Flyer
As things look - stable - for the time being while they work out the arrival kinks, I'm getting cautiously optimistic for our flight in just over a week.

On that same note, we are really trying to make sure we support local restaurants/shops - if anyone has any local suggestions near Lahaina or Kihei that we can patronize, please post it here.
Lahaina: Sale & Pepe, Thai Chef , Mala, Fridas, Sea House, Paia Fish, Prison St. Pizza, Roys (at the golf course). There are few more open.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
if anyone has any local suggestions near Lahaina or Kihei that we can patronize, please post it here.
I don't know the COVID situation, but in Kihei I recommend Cafe O'Lei. Good, basic food prepared nicely and served well, and I'm pretty sure it's a family-run business (so if they're open, they could undoubtedly use the revenue).
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Boom, thank you. Made reservations at Sale e Pepe and Mala Tavern, and will definitely check out Cafe O'Lei.

Are food trucks (specifically Thai Mee Up) still out and about?
Old Oct 18, 2020, 6:12 pm

Boom, thank you. Made reservations at Sale e Pepe and Mala Tavern, and will definitely check out Cafe O'Lei.

Are food trucks (specifically Thai Mee Up) still out and about?
Yes, Thai Mee Up across from Costco and upcountry next to Longs. We've been to both recently. Excellent choice. The one near
Costco is huge, has more items on the menu. Not sure if they have other locations.

For West side restaurants we like Frida's. We don't get to the West side very often. Heard recently that Frida's was reopening.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 18, 2020 at 6:21 pm
Old Oct 19, 2020, 6:30 pm

Heading to Lanai Oct 22 (hopefully) from DEN via HNL. Was told to make sure I have a hard copy of the Maui questionnaire and negative covid test, as the rep for Lanai Air said there aren't any people at LNY to scan QR codes.

In addition, I think we will need to go through the QR scan in HNL to get to baggage claim where we will transfer to the Lanai Air hanger. Fingers crossed.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Yes, ....

For West side restaurants we like Frida's. We don't get to the West side very often. Heard recently that Frida's was reopening.

-David
A another thumbs up for Frida's. Not fancy but good food. https://www.fridasmaui.com/
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:34 pm

Datapoint from today at OGG (2pm): Due to the late arrival of AA 432 from PHX, there was a long queue in the airport. We waited 20min and we were more or less in front of the line. The poor folks who arrived from Dallas (?) shortly after surely waited for an hour at least. The procedure itself was flawless, but we were requested to show our negative COVID tests again on our phones. That was remarkable because we have already uploaded them to the official state of Hawaii travel page before.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by norge
T-71 complete Vault COVID test
T-55 Vault receives test
T-40 Vault provides negative test

245pm arrive HNL, 250pm through QR reader. 25 lines for QR readers. Recommend having QR code and COVID test printed due to latency issues. Internet infrastructure not set up for that many connections. Having printed COVID test and code sped things up.

425pm arrive Lanai. Temp check and submittal of Maui health form and COVID test. Make sure you have printed copies of both for Lanai! There is no digital infrastructure for the greeter there. Our paperwork was stapled together and stacked on top of others.
Would be interested in your continuing observations of vacation life on Lanai. The news is that the island is locking down. How is that affecting your vacation? Please keep us informed.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by 747FC
Would be interested in your continuing observations of vacation life on Lanai. The news is that the island is locking down. How is that affecting your vacation? Please keep us informed.
The situation is worse today with 48 cases reported this week. I wonder what difficulty visitors may encounter if on Lanai when lockdown is instituted.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Oct 23, 2020 at 4:51 pm
Old Oct 23, 2020, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
The situation is worse today with 48 cases reported this week. I wonder what difficulty visitors may encounter if on Lanai when lockdown is instituted.
I’m taking the same precautions as I did at home (Colorado) - wearing a mask when I walk around but going mask less when laying out on the beach/ lounge chair by the pool. The Four Seasons feels like a bubble. There aren’t that many people here. Feels COVID-normal to me.

As an aside, the Four Seasons Lanai is pretty spectacular.
denver19 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:12 pm

I’m taking the same precautions as I did at home (Colorado) - wearing a mask when I walk around but going mask less when laying out on the beach/ lounge chair by the pool. The Four Seasons feels like a bubble. There aren’t that many people here. Feels COVID-normal to me.
I wonder if you will have any issues getting off the island with a lockdown in place.

One of the Covid cases yesterday was from a Four Seasos employee who infected 3 of 8 children in her family. Test results from the other family members are being re-run.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I wonder if you will have any issues getting off the island with a lockdown in place.

One of the Covid cases yesterday was from a Four Seasos employee who infected 3 of 8 children in her family. Test results from the other family members are being re-run.
Yep. Just got a note from the Four Seasons saying 12 non guest facing employees tested positive. Ugh. The note said they would help get us off the island if it closed.
denver19 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:43 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Are the hotels and resorts providing full meal service? Sit-down dining inside?
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:52 pm

Yep. Just got a note from the Four Seasons saying 12 non guest facing employees tested positive. Ugh. The note said they would help get us off the island if it closed.
Yikes. The coconut wireless says that Mayor Victorino will shut everything down at 12 noon on Monday. Have you given any thought to leaving before then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.