Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
friends/family/taxi/Uber/Lyft

Pick whatever works.
Walking.

My parents' old house was just off of Kaiminani Dr.

David
Weatherboy likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
friends/family/taxi/Uber/Lyft

Pick whatever works.
I knew quarantined travelers were banned from car rentals, but wasn't sure on things like taxi/Uber. I assumed Uber shut down on the Big Island.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I knew quarantined travelers were banned from car rentals, but wasn't sure on things like taxi/Uber. I assumed Uber shut down on the Big Island.
. I can’t speak for the Big Island, but I can still grab an Uber from Kahului to Lahaina, but not the reverse. Not because of Covid I think just lack of demand.

Regardless, you pick whatever method to deliver you to a quarantine spot, except for a rental car.

Edit: yes Covid is screwing things up, but you know what I mean.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I took the bus. I asked the quarantine guy at the airport if I could or if I had to take Uber/Lyft. He said there were no restrictions on mode of transport (other than rental car), just that one had to go straight to their place of quarantine without stopping along the way. It was 9pm and there was only one other person on the bus so it was probably the safest way in hindsight.

As to Uber on the Big Island, a friend told me he took one the other night from KOA to South Kona so it seems they are still operating there.

Last edited by Finkface; Aug 6, 2020 at 12:17 am
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Out of curiosity, how are you getting from the airport to your place of quarantine? I never understood how that worked here with people that don't have their own car at the airport.
It's super easy to get around here in Hawaii without owning a car. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about leaving a car parked at the airport or about paying for parking, especially when I don't know how long I will be away when I leave

I assumed Uber shut down on the Big Island.
During the lockdown here in Hawaii, transportation workers such as taxi and ride share drivers were/are considered to be essential, and thus kept going to work. I think it was the same most places in the US.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Are the beaches open? With remote work and schooling, it's tempting to do a rental on Maui for a few months. It's too bad about the rental cars but I guess you can swing back to the airport for one after 14 days.
nnn likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:45 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Are the beaches open? With remote work and schooling, it's tempting to do a rental on Maui for a few months. It's too bad about the rental cars but I guess you can swing back to the airport for one after 14 days.
That's a good idea. Was thinking of doing this in Mexico but their Covid numbers are quite high these days.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Beaches are open. In that regard it’s heaven right now, they aren’t busy and parking is simple without struggling to find a spot.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Things won't open tourism-wise this year, but at least you'll be on the Big Island which has spread under control for now and more freedoms than the other islands. Hope you're on a non-stop to KOA; they may lock down the interisland flights before then depending on the crisis on Oahu.

Out of curiosity, how are you getting from the airport to your place of quarantine? I never understood how that worked here with people that don't have their own car at the airport.
Couldn't go direct to KOA so booked interisland flight as I had to transport my dog. I have spoken to other family members who said the lines at HNL are not that bad and the animal direct release program line is variable but at least currently free at HNL (previously I paid $400 to have a vet come out and clear my dog at KOA). I have heard no rumors of interisland flight lock downs especially if in transit but nothing would surprise me know. I have a driver that will pick me up at KOA and have my car near the airport (hasn't been driven in months so I hope it starts). I am ordering food as I type this and arranging delivery for late Saturday afternoon. If worse comes to worse I can have my family put the groceries away if I get hung up but they live in South Kona and my place is North so the drive is a bit of a hassle.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
I have heard no rumors of interisland flight lock downs especially if in transit but nothing would surprise me know.
Yesterday, Maui's mayor wrote to Ige demanding interisland flights be shut down ASAP. Today, Big Island and Kauai jumped on board too. Ige apparently has decided to resume the ban and will announce that at 230p today or tomorrow local time.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Yesterday, Maui's mayor wrote to Ige demanding interisland flights be shut down ASAP. Today, Big Island and Kauai jumped on board too. Ige apparently has decided to resume the ban and will announce that at 230p today or tomorrow local time.
My understanding is that this will affect (adversely) interisland travelers who are ALREADY in Hawaii. I have to quarantine anyhow so it would seem by the above statement that I can still travel interisland but indeed will be required to quarantine per the current mandate, really nothing new there but will watch for Ige announcement later today. If I read it correctly they are NOT asking for interisland travel to be shut down completely just that the quarantine be reinstated for interisland travelers . IF they shut down interisland travel then I have a huge problem and will probably have to delay my trip and rebook direct into KOA of which there are minimal flights available these days (AS dropped all of its direct flights into KOA). Thanks and please post again if you hear something, much appreciated.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 6, 2020 at 6:08 pm Reason: removed image from quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
My understanding is that this will affect (adversely) interisland travelers who are ALREADY in Hawaii. I have to quarantine anyhow so it would seem by the above statement that I can still travel interisland but indeed will be required to quarantine per the current mandate, really nothing new there but will watch for Ige announcement later today. If I read it correctly they are NOT asking for interisland travel to be shut down completely just that the quarantine be reinstated for interisland travelers . IF they shut down interisland travel then I have a huge problem and will probably have to delay my trip and rebook direct into KOA of which there are minimal flights available these days (AS dropped all of its direct flights into KOA). Thanks and please post again if you hear something, much appreciated.
The interisland travel ban kicks in on Tuesday.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:54 pm

On Oahu: "Act with Care: Do not Gather" in effect through September 5:

-all city / county parks closed
-all beaches closed
-all state parks closed including state beach parks
-no activities allowed on the beach or in the parks
-you can surf, swim, paddle, dive, and fish in water but must quickly run across sand to get to water. No one allowed on sand otherwise
-all campgrounds closed
-all gardens closed
-all public and private pools, tennis clubs closed
-golf is open but back to phase 1 restrictions
-no team sports of any kind allowed anywhere
-all bowling alleys, arcades, mini-golfs ordered closed
-gyms can be open but no group classes allowed
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Yup, worse than I expected. Along with shutting down Interisland travel without quarantine, Ige is also closing all parks and beaches. Devastating.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...BexvV9D-wiqFLQ

”A mandatory, 14-day quarantine for inter-island travel will be reinstated, city and state parks and beaches on Oahu will be closed, and Honolulu police will dial up enforcement of emergency orders as part of a push to rein in a surge in new COVID-19 cases.

The inter-island quarantine will go back into effect Tuesday, Gov. David Ige said at a news conference.“
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:13 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
On Oahu: "Act with Care: Do not Gather" in effect through September 5:

-you can surf, swim, paddle, dive, and fish in water but must quickly run across sand to get to water. No one allowed on sand otherwise
This is hilarious. "Run" not "walk"? If you walk then you'll be fined? So strange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.