Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:31 pm

Well folks, I'm happy to announce I'm going to (attempt) to do my part to help the HI economy.

Getting married in a small ceremony on Oct. 23 in Los Angeles, and we decided we're gonna risk-it-for-the-biscuit and attempt to do our honeymoon in Maui the week following.

It looks like there are direct flights from LA and hotels are available for booking, so we're going to give it a shot. We fortunately have access to quick-turn COVID-19 PCR tests, so we'll take one a couple days before takeoff. We're fine if most things are closed - all we want to do is go snorkeling/relax on the beach. And yes, we fully realize we may have to cancel if the Gov. delays it (again).

Am I missing anything before I start booking this stuff?!
Boraxo, nnn, denver19 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by SAM Flyer
Well folks, I'm happy to announce I'm going to (attempt) to do my part to help the HI economy.

Getting married in a small ceremony on Oct. 23 in Los Angeles, and we decided we're gonna risk-it-for-the-biscuit and attempt to do our honeymoon in Maui the week following.

It looks like there are direct flights from LA and hotels are available for booking, so we're going to give it a shot. We fortunately have access to quick-turn COVID-19 PCR tests, so we'll take one a couple days before takeoff. We're fine if most things are closed - all we want to do is go snorkeling/relax on the beach. And yes, we fully realize we may have to cancel if the Gov. delays it (again).

I recommend bringing your own snorkel gear as many if not most places are closed to rent stuff. Also, pick the most non rental looking rental car you can find. Remove the rental barcode stickers and reapply when you return it. Not much tourist stores are open, so don’t plan on shopping being exciting.

You will have fun and congrats.
denver19 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I recommend bringing your own snorkel gear as many if not most places are closed to rent stuff. Also, pick the most non rental looking rental car you can find. Remove the rental barcode stickers and reapply when you return it. Not much tourist stores are open, so don’t plan on shopping being exciting.

You will have fun and congrats.
Good tips, thank you. Not sure how easy it is to find a "non-rental-looking-rental car," but probably going to grab a full size SUV (Hyundai Santa Fe). Any particular reason to go as far as removing the rental barcode?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others

Aloha and welcome! I can only speak to west Maui; the snorkeling is awesome, but ya, bring your own gear. Rentals seem limited. I am heading out to Molokini this weekend, which has been over run for decades, but is like a marine sanctuary now. THe Kaanapali Beach hotels are opening about 10-15, Sheraton, Hyatt, Royal Lahaina... Some restaruants are open: Roys, Sea House, Sale & Pepe, Paia Fish, the good Thai place by Sale & Pepe. I heard TS is making noise about opening (Kimos, Dukes, Hula Grill, Leilani's). Golf is happening if you like that. Fingers crossed, but it looks like we are going to open w/ a pre-test on Oct 15. We need company, its too quiet around here.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by denver19
Aloha and welcome! I can only speak to west Maui; the snorkeling is awesome, but ya, bring your own gear. Rentals seem limited. I am heading out to Molokini this weekend, which has been over run for decades, but is like a marine sanctuary now. THe Kaanapali Beach hotels are opening about 10-15, Sheraton, Hyatt, Royal Lahaina... Some restaruants are open: Roys, Sea House, Sale & Pepe, Paia Fish, the good Thai place by Sale & Pepe. I heard TS is making noise about opening (Kimos, Dukes, Hula Grill, Leilani's). Golf is happening if you like that. Fingers crossed, but it looks like we are going to open w/ a pre-test on Oct 15. We need company, its too quiet around here.
Great rundown, seriously appreciate it! We plan on doing 3 nights in Lahaina at the beginning to relax before we go down to an AirBnB in Kihei so I’ll definitely check out those restaurants for reservations. Any insight on Mama’s Fish House and if the Hana hiking is open?

And you read my mind! My fiancé and I are both golfers so we wanted to play two courses during our week...any favorites out there of the group?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:59 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
They finally unveiled metric-driven COVID response to ongoing shutdowns in Oahu. Basically, they need less than 20 new cases / day over a 7 day rolling average and positivity rates under 1% to open things up to more normal.

For now, Oahu is at "tier 1" which means you can't do much beyond a family of 5 (except a funeral where up to 10 people can attend), nightclubs/bars are closed, but many other places can open with strict social distancing and capacity controls in place.

I imagine the other islands could adopt something like this. But <20 cases/day on Oahu would translate to <4 cases/day on Hawaii County. Both counties are double that now.

BUT THE BIGGEST THING is how long they plan to stay at a tier even if conditions improve. "After 4 weeks in a tier, we can advance to the next tier of reopening if we meet both criteria for the next tier for 2 consecutive weeks. We may only move forward one tier at a time." So even if COVID cases went down to zero tomorrow, it wouldn't be until later in January things would begin to open up.

Great rundown, seriously appreciate it! We plan on doing 3 nights in Lahaina at the beginning to relax before we go down to an AirBnB in Kihei so I’ll definitely check out those restaurants for reservations. Any insight on Mama’s Fish House and if the Hana hiking is open?

And you read my mind! My fiancé and I are both golfers so we wanted to play two courses during our week...any favorites out there of the group?
I believe Mama's Fish House is still closed...but that'll probably change by October. The owners there swore they'd be back.

For golf, I'd recommend the Royal Ka'anapali Course and of course Kapalua. The Bay course is open but the Plantation course is closed through 10/13 for aeration ...so since you're coming after that, maybe do the Plantation Course since it'll be "fresh."

For rental car, you could always try Turo. You could get a local-looking Jeep with big tires for under $80/day and not have to worry about looking like a tourist. Or lots of other options for less than half that price.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 23, 2020 at 3:58 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:36 am

What happens when you look like a tourist, now in Hawaii? Is it not safe anymore?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Klxp2016
What happens when you look like a tourist, now in Hawaii? Is it not safe anymore?
Its safe here in west Maui. I think much of that talk is overblown, but since there are so few tourists here right now, they do stand out a little more. I saw a red, convertible camaro out on the Parkway yesterday. I smiled and gave them a "shaka". I am looking forward to seeing about 100 more of them soon!
FlyinHawaiian and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Klxp2016
I've been back and forth to Maui 6X since quarantine started and can't really say since I can't leave my condo (I'm just there to visit my family). But, I do read a lot on FB groups and there is a quite a lot of anger from a few locals. Vigilante groups have been known to hassle people arriving at the airport for example... although, I've never seen this firsthand during my coming and going. Overall, it seems to be dying down and once the quarantine exemption is in place I don't know what people would have to hassle you about. Of course, reason and logic aren't always the strong suit of people who just want to be a PITA.
LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
I've been back and forth to Maui 6X since quarantine started and can't really say since I can't leave my condo (I'm just there to visit my family). But, I do read a lot on FB groups and there is a quite a lot of anger from a few locals. Vigilante groups have been known to hassle people arriving at the airport for example... although, I've never seen this firsthand during my coming and going. Overall, it seems to be dying down and once the quarantine exemption is in place I don't know what people would have to hassle you about. Of course, reason and logic aren't always the strong suit of people who just want to be a PITA.
I've seen the vigilantes and their videos. Basically you have a lot of unemployed people that believe tourists brought and continue to carry COVID into the islands so they perceive you as a threat. So they'll track and follow people from the airport and harass them around the island, especially if they break quarantine. And even if they don't stalk/track, if you look the part of the tourist, they'll harass you wherever. It does seem this type of thing is limited to Oahu and Maui though. It seems the focus on Kauai and Hawaii is on cults sneaking into the islands moreso than tourists (ala CarbonNation)
LETTERBOY and mtofell like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I've seen the vigilantes and their videos. Basically you have a lot of unemployed people that believe tourists brought and continue to carry COVID into the islands so they perceive you as a threat. So they'll track and follow people from the airport and harass them around the island, especially if they break quarantine. And even if they don't stalk/track, if you look the part of the tourist, they'll harass you wherever. It does seem this type of thing is limited to Oahu and Maui though. It seems the focus on Kauai and Hawaii is on cults sneaking into the islands moreso than tourists (ala CarbonNation)
It is irresponsible to paint of picture of locals as vigilantes who are attacking tourists or their properties. Is there an occasional yahoo who does that--perhaps. Just because you see a few examples in real life of the internet does not make it prevalent or remarkable.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 23, 2020 at 5:08 pm Reason: Unduly-personalized remarks removed, per https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#gettingpersonal.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:58 pm

FB blows up minority and extremists viewpoints and opinions. Please don't use FB posts and/or comments as evidence of anything other than how screwed up FB is.

Don't leave anything valuable in an unattended vehicle, that's a good rule to follow anywhere.

-David
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:44 pm

While acknowledging the pre-travel testing exemption to the quarantine for transpacific travelers on 10/15, Governor Ige signed an additional order today that keeps the emergency, various closures, and the ongoing interisland travel restrictions through to the end of October. He did put an asterisk on the interisland travel restrictions, saying he welcomes different policies from the different mayors that wish to submit such for his review.

Based on what the mayors have said in recent days, I would imagine the restrictions stay in place for travelers to Kauai and Hawaii but lift for Maui. So this would mean:
Hawaii to Oahu or Kauai to Oahu: no quarantine
Oahu to Maui or Maui to Oahu: no quarantine
Kauai to Maui: No quarantine
Oahu to Kauai or Hawaii: 14 day quarantine
Maui to Kauai or Hawaii: 14 day quarantine
Kauai to Hawaii or Hawaii to Kauai: 14 day quarantine

I haven't heard of any local testing program for interisland travel yet, so unless that changes, everyone (local or transpacific) would be subject to quarantine for these interisland routes.

it sounds like Maui is working on a testing program for Lanai and Molokai there where a test would be done before boarding a flight to those islands. It sounds like the volume is low enough they can handle such testing, but I've yet to hear specifics on how this could be done. Or who does it / pays for it.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
It is irresponsible to paint of picture of locals as vigilantes who are attacking tourists or their properties. Is there an occasional yahoo who does that--perhaps. Just because you see a few examples in real life of the internet does not make it prevalent or remarkable.
Well, it isn't other tourists tracking visitors and worrying about their quarantine etc. So the "occasional yahoo" is a local. My personal quarantine experience was rife with unneeded local oversight. October 15 cant come quick enough for me. Maui's (Hawaii) response to Covid has been inefective and economically ruinous. Thankfully, we are beginning to reopen. It's only been 6 months...

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
While acknowledging the pre-travel testing exemption to the quarantine for transpacific travelers on 10/15, Governor Ige signed an additional order today that keeps the emergency, various closures, and the ongoing interisland travel restrictions through to the end of October. He did put an asterisk on the interisland travel restrictions, saying he welcomes different policies from the different mayors that wish to submit such for his review.

Based on what the mayors have said in recent days, I would imagine the restrictions stay in place for travelers to Kauai and Hawaii but lift for Maui. So this would mean:
Hawaii to Oahu or Kauai to Oahu: no quarantine
Oahu to Maui or Maui to Oahu: no quarantine
Kauai to Maui: No quarantine
Oahu to Kauai or Hawaii: 14 day quarantine
Maui to Kauai or Hawaii: 14 day quarantine
Kauai to Hawaii or Hawaii to Kauai: 14 day quarantine
Lanai? I have a boat. I have friends on Lanai. I can be there in 30 minutes, but I don't think I can get off the boat. When I read your summation of what island travel needs a quarantine, well, I wish we did this better.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 24, 2020 at 3:12 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Booked Hotel Wailea on Maui for five nights over Christmas. Coming from the mainland. Looking forward to it!

Do I really need to remove the rental car stickers from my rental car? LoL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.