Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by bpe
That 20.3% is those who are actually on unemployment benefits and doesn't include:

- Employees with greatly reduced hours but still technically employed
- Some seasonal employees that were just not rehired this year
- Self-employed people and freelancers
- Anyone getting paid under the table
- High school/college graduates who would normally enter the workforce but can't
- Anyone else who either couldn't or didn't apply for unemployment for any other reason

Some of them may be eligible for other CARES Act relief measures but still aren't counted in the statistics. So yes, the real number is definitely higher but a bit harder to measure.
remrmber...unemployment also doesn’t count those who have stopped looking or stopped collecting unemployment.

also with seasonal employees, it can get complicated on how to count them . If these are in the tourist industry based in say California who sends employees to hawsii for short periods like in training or they do peak season tours during say February with humpback whale trips or peop,e assigned to Hawaii for things around family travel didn’t go there this year could be missing in the data.

this also could affect peop,e eho do second jobs like teachers in summer or others who work weekends for extra money.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Ige says the 10/1/20 date is probably not going to happen.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...opening-again/
tom911 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by inlanikai
No, IMO. And I believe if someone won a similar case in Hawaii he would immediately appeal it and ask for a stay. He appears to be adamant that "protecting the community" is paramount.
I heard Mayor Caldwell say "I think travel from the mainland with a test is preferable to untested passengers coming with a quarantine. We don't know if they are actually quarantining." I hadnt thought about that; the travel with a test may actually be better than what we are doing for disease prevention.
philemer and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:08 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Define "science"....

It's no secret that we are still trying to figure out the "science" of Covid, partly because we don't really want to accept reality of Covid (it's here to stay folks, there are no quick remedies), and partly because of political interference. Extraordinary measures & sacrifices have been taken, and yet here we are 6 months later still struggling to gain control with no end in sight. Unfortunately whatever is politically expedient and good for optics (votes) seems to trump what limited science we do know.

The fact of the matter is that the response to Covid has been as much an attempt at understanding the science, as it is the political appeasement of people who are looking for answers and reassurance with the minimum of effort. Unfortunately the science is still sketchy, we have no answers, and people lack confidence. A lot of blame to go around. What a dumpster fire!
While we are continuously discovering new things and refining knowledge about Covid as well as many other diseases, the important information like the virus structure and properties, symptoms, testing, how it spreads, etc.. is actually quite well understood by now. The problem is that "the science" alone doesn't and can't really say what to do about it and rarely gives a definite yes or no answer to 'can or should we do this?'.

A complete travel ban, allowing travel but with a strict quarantine, testing without quarantine, complete lockdown, partial reopening, beaches open, beaches closed, can all be "valid science", depending on how these policies are implemented and followed as well as local conditions. Opening beaches is valid because there's plenty of space to swim in the ocean alone without anyone around. Closing beaches is valid because we can't stop a 30-person barbecue from gathering. Neither argument is wrong or unscientific, and politicians can cite science to support either side of the debate.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by denver19
I heard Mayor Caldwell say "I think travel from the mainland with a test is preferable to untested passengers coming with a quarantine. We don't know if they are actually quarantining." I hadnt thought about that; the travel with a test may actually be better than what we are doing for disease prevention.
Since when does the government every consider logic or what is better???

I completely agree with him. It is ridiculous that I am allowed to come to the island and hang with (and potentially infect) my family and they are free come/go the whole time I'm there and beyond. A Covid test upon arrival (or within 3 days, etc.) undoubtedly seems to be the most effectvive.
LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:51 pm

Problem is that there still isn't enough testing available to handle that and the tests we currently use take too long to get results.

We need the new instant (5 - 15 minutes to result) tests that are in development now, in sufficient volume so people can get tested before they board a plane and upon arrival and again after several days ...

-David
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Problem is that there still isn't enough testing available to handle that and the tests we currently use take too long to get results.
Let me worry about that.... government makes the rules I'll worry about getting a test within 3-days. If I can't.... fine, I'll live with that. This is America and something tells me when there is a need/demand, miraculously, there will be some supply.

This constantly moving the goalposts is complete BS and only the government could pull of such thing. If anyone in the private sector ran their business this way they would be out of business.
JNelson113, nnn, ksucats and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
STUDY: Hawai'i ranks #1 for most coronavirus restrictions

HONOLULU, O'ahu (KITV4) - Hawai'i ranks as the number one state with the most coronavirus restrictions.

That's according to a new study from WalletHub.

Hawai'i moved up 14 spots to take first place because of the state's limited gatherings, statewide quarantine, and limits on restaurants and bars.

California is in 2nd and has seen the most covid-19 cases in the U.S. The states with the fewest amount of restrictions are South Dakota, and Utah.

https://www.kitv.com/story/42634385/...s-restrictions
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by mtofell
Let me worry about that.... government makes the rules I'll worry about getting a test within 3-days. If I can't.... fine, I'll live with that. This is America and something tells me when there is a need/demand, miraculously, there will be some supply.

This constantly moving the goalposts is complete BS and only the government could pull of such thing. If anyone in the private sector ran their business this way they would be out of business.
Exactly. If the state tells the truth about thresholds for opening, then people will reach those thresholds. This, here in Hawaii, has descended into pandering to the low information base, and handing out favors to big donors. Governor Ige spoke of a "Resort Bubble" as a concept he could get behind. Imagine that; big hotels, and the unions that staff them, get a captive audience, and small local businesses get nothing. Not even the scraps. Hawaii, as a populace, is not in favor of the "Resort Bubble" concept. But somehow Governor Ige can get behind that. Imagine that.

Last edited by denver19; Sep 16, 2020 at 10:37 am
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Thanks, I was aware that the closure was in effect until the 18th but no word yet on extension of the closure?
No word on the closures being extended. We are hopeful that the beach parks will again be open after Friday. Our case count is back into single digits which may help.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Helpful to look away from Hawaii and see what others are doing and saying. A poll of 1000 Canadians support border closure to Americans despite the negative economic impact:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...722974?cmp=rss
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by msp3
The states with the fewest amount of restrictions are South Dakota, and Utah.

https://www.kitv.com/story/42634385/...s-restrictions
While I think Hawaii's current approach has serious flaws, it's worth noting that five of the top ten states on that "fewest restrictions" list are also in the top ten for most Covid cases per capita over the past seven days, and three more make the top 15 (per NYT Covid tracking site).

Last edited by WrightHI; Sep 16, 2020 at 5:19 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomad420
Thanks, I was aware that the closure was in effect until the 18th but no word yet on extension of the closure?
Mayor Kim signed a new order today keeping beaches closed through October 1.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Governor announces pre-travel testing to start on October 15. https://www.kitv.com/story/42634902/...o-begin-oct-15
denver19 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:14 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by 747FC
Helpful to look away from Hawaii and see what others are doing and saying. A poll of 1000 Canadians support border closure to Americans despite the negative economic impact:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...722974?cmp=rss
But who needs the tourists more -- Canada or Hawaii?
ksucats, LETTERBOY and msp3 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.