Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
If you are just transiting through Hawaii no you don’t have to fill it out.
This isn’t a transit from what I am reading. It is a direct turn around so HNL is the destination. So yes, SafeTravels needs to be completed. The airline will require it as HNL is the destination on the ticket.
Erasmus likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Finkface
This isn’t a transit from what I am reading. It is a direct turn around so HNL is the destination. So yes, SafeTravels needs to be completed. The airline will require it as HNL is the destination on the ticket.
Its sorta transit IAH-HNL-SFO. But I did fill it out, one of the reasons you can put is in transit/connecting. And then it lets you put the inbound and outbound in on the same day.
Better to have this for the airline probably, and not confuse some checkin/gate agent.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I just booked my Rapid PCR Test with XpressCheck @ EWR. I got an email confirming my Test has been booked & I will have the results in 45 mins. ITraveling on UA I get a discount, with the discount the cost is lower than what I would pay in Toronto from the Trusted Partner in Toronto. I can use the same PCR to re-enter Canada on Monday . I will be boarding my USA-Canada flight on Monday 65 Hours after doing my PCR test @ XpressCheck in EWR on Friday. Giving me a buffer of 7 Hours.
In YYZ will do a $40.00 Preclearance Test for my YYZ-EWR flight.
JFK, SFO, DEN, ATL, BOS,IAH,SLC,IAD SEA also have XpressCheck.
No Credit Card is required to hold the booking.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, AF Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Smile

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Yes, correct! There are a lot of ways to make the journey, and some friends from Germany are planning a similar trip in November. One testing provider that could be helpful to you (though it's expensive) is XpresCheck, as they offer in-airport testing with one-hour results at a number of airports across the US. Depending on your itinerary, this might make it possible for you to get tested during your connection and then proceed to Hawaii without an overnight layover
Thank you for the reassurance.
We're booked through LAX (with an overnight) and planning on using Clarity which has an 1hr option (I think the price is similar to XpressCheck)

Originally Posted by Majuki
That's right.
Perfect!
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:53 am

Is Hawaii no longer accepting Rapid PCR testing? Only accepting NAAT? https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

Hawai‘i’s Pre-travel Testing Program :The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS including tests
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Is Hawaii no longer accepting Rapid PCR testing? Only accepting NAAT? https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Hawaii has only accepted PCR testing from an approved provider, and nothing has changed to my knowledge. Some Hawaii approved providers offer rapid turnaround times on their PCR tests.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by yyzprincess

Hawai‘i’s Pre-travel Testing Program :The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS including tests
NAAT can be done in many different ways, including RT-PCR and other amplification methods. As long as the test is done by one of the trusted partners, whether PCR or rapid tests, it will be accepted.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 6:04 pm

Thank you very much PanAmWT & Majuki for your prompt responses and for the reassurance. Much appreciated
I have booked a rapid PCR test & received confirmation from Xpress Check @ EWR an approved provider. I am overnighting @ EWR Marriott.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Majuki
Currently, Safe Travels only accepts individuals fully vaccinated in the US. A traveler who received vaccinations internationally would have to do a pre-travel test.
Does anyone have personal experience arriving to Hawaii from Japan but having been fully vaccinated in the US (have the CDC card)? Do we need negative NAAT test from trusted partner as if we weren't vaccinated or simply a negative antigen test?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Does anyone have personal experience arriving to Hawaii from Japan but having been fully vaccinated in the US (have the CDC card)? Do we need negative NAAT test from trusted partner as if we weren't vaccinated or simply a negative antigen test?
I don't have a data point, but you would need nothing more than the card than the CDC card to satisfy the quarantine exemption with Safe Travels. I don't know if any inbound flights from Japan are doing the wristbands or how international arrivals are handled if not.

For the inbound US flight, you would just need a rapid antigen test. It doesn't have to be the PCR from from a trusted partner.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
No personal experience, but does this help?

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/cov...s/int-hi/jp-hi
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by manda99
Flying this weekend (5 days out) and QR code was automatically sent to me this morning with a note saying 24 hour health checkin no longer required.
Maui now is reporting changes to safe travels:

Quarantine is now 5 days,
No health questionaire needed.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by denver19
Maui now is reporting changes to safe travels: Quarantine is now 5 days
Thanks for that update; the State's Safe Travels website was updated to reflect this so it's not a county-level change. I've updated the thread title and wiki accordingly.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:34 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
On a related note, Hawaii also released their cruise travel guidance for Safe Travels today. When cruising to Hawaii, you basically need to follow the same process that exists for air travel or you cannot depart a ship in any Hawaii port.

One interesting rule Hawaii is forcing on cruiselines sailing to the state: 100% of crew and passengers must be vaccinated for the ship to gain entry to a Hawaiian port; no exceptions. This primarily impacts kids that aren't yet eligible for vaccines who would now be banned from sailing to the islands. Along with any other medical/religious exemption people that typically test out of other requirements. Hawaii said today that both NCL and Carnival signed-off on the rule but Royal Caribbean and their Celebrity line have yet to.

Also important to point out the rule is that guests must be "fully vaccinated" --there's still talk that Hawaii may redefine "fully vaccinated" to require a booster. That re-definition could occur before cruise ships start arriving in Hawaii in about 2 weeks. If they change the definition and there's passengers out there who haven't been boostered by today, they may not be able to enter Hawaii in the cruises that arrive in January.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
rules for 12 y.o.

My daughter will be flying to HI this summer with her 12 yr old daughter. Mom is vaxxed but not the daughter (her father won't let her get vaxxed---divorce issues). What are the current rules for an unvaxxed child of 12? Negative test w/in 72 hrs required?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.