Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, numbers continue to shrink - here's the data for Friday, April 17th:

and BIVN's accompanying text:

with the definitions of each arrival type:

David
The "intended resident" category is interesting - I assume these folks must quarantine but where? If they already have a house here wouldn't they just be considered a "resident". If they don't have a house they certainly can't shop for one now. So, maybe staying with friends/family until they can shop? I'm just wondering if this is some loophole people are trying to use for some purpose (that I don't see).
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mtofell
The "intended resident" category is interesting - I assume these folks must quarantine but where? If they already have a house here wouldn't they just be considered a "resident". If they don't have a house they certainly can't shop for one now. So, maybe staying with friends/family until they can shop? I'm just wondering if this is some loophole people are trying to use for some purpose (that I don't see).
Sometimes you just don't know really how much of a HI resident you might actually be - here's a personal story:

A story on why you should rent first before moving to the Big Island....

David
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:05 pm

Visitor = people who do not have a Hawaii ID including essential health care workers, essential federal workers, former residents such as mainland college students coming to stay with family, military on temporary assignment, and leisure travelers

David
I noticed this as well. So many outlets are including this graphic without attributing the source, and finally I saw the useless definition of "visitor". The category is essentially meaningless IMO. It does not mean "visitor" at all. It's everybody without Hawaii ID, even if they are essential workers. I'd like to see the number of leisure travelers vs the rest.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
It's everybody without Hawaii ID, even if they are essential workers. I'd like to see the number of leisure travelers vs the rest.
It seems like it would also rule out part-time residents that keep their ID in another state. That's my category but it seems funny to label me as a visitor.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Visitor = people who do not have a Hawaii ID including essential health care workers, essential federal workers, former residents such as mainland college students coming to stay with family, military on temporary assignment, and leisure travelers
…finally I saw the useless definition of "visitor". The category is essentially meaningless IMO. It does not mean "visitor" at all. It's everybody without Hawaii ID, even if they are essential workers.
I'm glad others realise this. I have noticed a tendency by politicians and the media to describe the aforementioned "visitor" numbers as if they are all tourists.

Similarly, I'm surprised when I hear politicians mention that "visitor" numbers are too high, based on the current daily "visitor" figures. Total arriving passenger numbers on the first day of the quarantine were down 95% below normal, if I remember correctly, and are now down more than 98% below normal, I believe. A 98% reduction in arriving passengers seems to me to be a sensational success considering that airports are open and flights are available.

Furthermore, considering, for example, that Friday's 98 "visitors" included non-tourists, such as "people who do not have a Hawaii ID including essential health care workers, essential federal workers, former residents such as mainland college students coming to stay with family, [and] military on temporary assignment", it seems to me that actual arriving tourists are likely to be very few and very far between (though, perhaps, disproportionately discussed).

I'd like to see the number of leisure travelers vs the rest.
Agreed.
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I'm just wondering if anyone would like to speculate with me as to what it would take for Hawaii to begin welcoming visitors again. (without the 14 day quarantine). I certainly understand the need to shut down for now, but just looking to the future.

A vaccine? Effective treatment? Some sort of test at the airport before boarding the plane?

Just wondering. I love Hawaii and had hoped to return this year, but we'll see.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:51 pm

Here's the latest: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...y-experts-say/

There's really nothing concrete but it's at least something I suppose. I'd be surprised if the 14-day quarantine is lifted before June 1 but that's just a total guess. People here seem to be taking it better than other states on the mainland. No protests or anything. Locals seem to be in favor of keeping travelers away.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Here's the latest: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...y-experts-say/

There's really nothing concrete but it's at least something I suppose. I'd be surprised if the 14-day quarantine is lifted before June 1 but that's just a total guess. People here seem to be taking it better than other states on the mainland. No protests or anything. Locals seem to be in favor of keeping travelers away.
Thank you, this is helpful information!
Old Apr 23, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
People here seem to be taking it better than other states on the mainland. No protests or anything. Locals seem to be in favor of keeping travelers away.
Just FYI, there have been some protests:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...wide-shutdown/
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...ay-quarantine/

"Two men and a woman, all from Everett, Wash., were arrested Wednesday in Hilo and charged with violating Gov. David Ige’s mandatory 14-day self-quarantine order for visitors to Hawaii. The three, 39-year-old Caleb Conrad, 27-year-old Matthew Young and 24-year-old Makynzie Anderson were apprehended at about 3:15 p.m. at the pool of the Grand Naniloa Hotel on Banyan Drive...."
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’m a little surprised about the pool being open, haven’t seen that for weeks, even my pool at the place I live.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I’m a little surprised about the pool being open, haven’t seen that for weeks, even my pool at the place I live.
Yeah, no kidding.... I thought they were all closed. They do say, "apprehended at the pool" not "in the pool." I wonder if the police just happened to catch them in the area. Kind of misleading journalism if that's the case. I just can't believe a pool at a hotel is still opened. I'm pretty sure they are required to be closed but can't remember if I read that as a requirement. Total knuckleheads in any case.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So for people staying only 3-4 days, they won't be forced to stay 14 days, right? I know it says duration of stay, but it is still not spelled out. What about transportation to/from airport; hopefully people would be allowed to get where they are going to shelter in place (hotel) before being "apprehended."
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:40 pm

I believe the way it reads is that you are to go directly from the airport to your lodging and stay inside - no common areas or pool, etc. You are only allowed to exit your lodging/residence to seek medial care or drive directly to the airport. Some people (in Kauai I believe) were arrested for heading to a store when leaving the airport rather than towards the lodging they listed. And yes, 14 days OR duration of your stay so you can leave before the 14 days but must drive straight to the airport.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have added a helpful list of hotels that are currently closed to the wiki. So if you want to visit now (despite the quarantine) you will be outta luck at most resorts...

Here's the list:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.