Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Dec 12, 2023 - Alaska Airlines to Acquire Hawaiian Airlines for $1.9B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Related thread in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-airlines.html
Print Wikipost

Dec 12, 2023 - Alaska Airlines to Acquire Hawaiian Airlines for $1.9B

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
E Komo Mai to the AAG Ohana

Funny, AS will re-add the Airbus A321NEO and DC9 dba MD80 err B717 back...
nwflyboy and jimmygottfredson like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Really wondering what the retention of branding looks like over time. Interisland is easy as long as there's a dedicated fleet, but I would expect them to consolidate narrowbody flying on 737s and start flying those shiny new 787s from SEA to at least London and Tokyo in addition to the HNL routes.
I doubt. SEA is saturated with London and Tokyo flights. Plus, AS would need the route authority to do international out of SEA, which they don't have.

Originally Posted by beckoa
E Komo Mai to the AAG Ohana

Funny, AS will re-add the Airbus A321NEO and DC9 dba MD80 err B717 back...
A poster in another forum said Virgin's engines were different from HA's. So, there wouldn't have been as much synergy as one might think.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 4, 2023 at 8:04 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by AZjohns
All HA airbuses will get dumped asap by AS.
Remembering this from the VX buyout by AS.
The VX Airbus fleet was dropped not because of an innate dislike of Airbus, but because of the awful terms of the VX leases. HA owns many of their aircraft. This is a very different situation.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by formeraa
I doubt. SEA is saturated with London and Tokyo flights. Plus, AS would need the route authority to do international out of SEA, which they don't have.
Doubt away, but remind me which airlines have international flights from their #2 hub but not #1? And while Japan traffic is still down, I have to think HA’s JAL relationship figured somewhere in the valuation of the deal for AS. With AA’s continuing disarray on the west coast and AS’s experience now with feeding OneWorld flights, I think they wouldn’t be doing this if they hadn’t decided it’s time to fly international on their own metal (carbon fiber).
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by formeraa
Most of the routes that AS may likely launch from SEA doesn't require route authority due to open sky or very liberal bilateral agreements. Airport slots is another story.

There is no impediment to start SEA-NRT or SEA-LGW since there are no restriction on flights between US and Japan/UK but SEA-HND or SEA-LHR is difficult because of slot restriction at the destination airports. US-Australia, US-New Zealand, US-Korea, US-Taiwan are all open sky or defacto open sky and AS can start flying anytime they want. US-EU is pretty easy also.

AS has a relatively low risk opportunity to evaluate long haul widebody operations with HA operating as a separate brand but it doesn't take a leap to think that some of the 787 on order may be shifted to AS once they've done their homework. I'm surprised internet has not given us a rendering of 787-9 with Chester on it.
Mwenenzi, jiburi, nwflyboy and 1 others like this.

Last edited by bzcat; Dec 4, 2023 at 11:37 am
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: UA HA AS
Originally Posted by bzcat
JL and QF may be quite happy with this since HA will join OneWorld.

Will be interesting to see how soon AS will phase out A321 from the fleet.

Also, pretty sure some of the HA 787 on order will end up flying for AS.

Does this complicate or clarify 717 replacement? I can see AS start operating interisland tags and code share with HA to supplement the schedule once 717 starts to reach max cycles.
I always thought they would go with the Embraer. Now I really think they will go that way.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by waddy
I always thought they would go with the Embraer. Now I really think they will go that way.
​​​​​

Embraer alone won't be able to duplicate the frequency of the 717 because they require longer turns between flights. So HA/AS will have to supplement that with tag on flights from mainland fleets like how Southwest is operating its 737.

But it is now more likely now they will go with E175 than before when the conventional wisdom was that HA will buy a bunch of A320CEO with low cycles to replace 717 and make up lower frequency with higher capacity.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hawaiian was looking at the A220 as a possible replacement for the B717 but with Alaska possibly being in the mix wonder if that will still be an alternative. Boeings only replacement would be the 737 in some form. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. E175's would be too small with only 76 passengers. Maybe the E190.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know if you all saw Alaska Airlines announcement today about their frequent flier program changes but it really sticks it to us inter island fliers. Not only will most Platinums now be second from the bottom status wise but they are eliminating qualifying for status on segments. Status will be earned by miles flown and Alaska Visa credit card spend.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 3:01 pm

Does HA track BIS miles flown? like other airlines for million miler status? would they merge those miles flown with AS in the new FF program?
Old Jan 30, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by waddy
Does HA track BIS miles flown? like other airlines for million miler status? would they merge those miles flown with AS in the new FF program?
They certainly track annually. How far back their data goes is another question. They don't have a MM program and their IT is terrible, so I wouldn't bet that they have good data more than a couple years back. Personally I'm hoping/expecting that AS will provide some MM credit for pre-merger Hawaiian miles, but will be pleasantly surprised if it's anything close to my whole history.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Alaska Airlines announced Monday that it has established a Hawai‘i Community Advisory Board, or HICAB, to honor the legacy and significance of the Hawaiian Airlines brand as the airlines work toward combining as well as to reinforce Alaska Airlines’ expanded role in Hawaii.

...HICAB, which is built on a model that Alaska Airlines has used to support Alaska communities over the past four decades, is a diverse 16-member board made up of representatives from nonprofits, education, health care, business, tourism and agriculture. Intended as a corporate and community sounding board, members will provide Alaska Airlines with feedback and recommendations on its business approaches and initiatives, local current events and community investment needs.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2024/...iian-airlines/

The initial list of HICAB board members is published in the linked article.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by WrightHI
They certainly track annually. How far back their data goes is another question. They don't have a MM program and their IT is terrible, so I wouldn't bet that they have good data more than a couple years back. Personally I'm hoping/expecting that AS will provide some MM credit for pre-merger Hawaiian miles, but will be pleasantly surprised if it's anything close to my whole history.
The Hawaiian IT department going away is by far the thing I am looking forward to the most with this merger.
inlanikai and WrightHI like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just off the call with Hawaiian and its special shareholder meeting. Shareholders approved of the merger and there was a quorum.
Majuki and bzcat like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 10:20 am

if you own Hawaiian Air stock will you be getting Alaska stock?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.