Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Gay Bar Anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by anonplz
Yes, those were the ones I was thinking of. (Industry, rather)
I will have to check out industry next time I am there.

Do any of the new york people know what is going on with Axel hotel in hells kitchen? Huffington post had an article a year ago that it was to open in 2011 in HK:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_415103.html

I realy like their Barcelona property.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:08 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Some troll one night in the Amish market started screaming that I was the anti-Christ and starting throwing food at me.
Ok, I just EXPLODED in laughter. I can only imagine the look on your face as this went down.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
Haven't been back in a long time, but Big Chicks in Chicago was my hang, when I lived there.

Excelsior, in Brooklyn, has the same relaxed vibe. Really fun and friendly. And, it's where I met my partner, so I've got a soft spot for that place.

In LA, I like East/West a lot. I don't know why it's not packed to overflowing. It's lounge-y, very cool, and they've got an intelligently-stocked bar. Maybe it's just not "LA" enough for the WeHo crowd, but I like it a lot.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by grumpymonkey
Excelsior, in Brooklyn, has the same relaxed vibe. Really fun and friendly. And, it's where I met my partner, so I've got a soft spot for that place.
I've been there a few times. It feels like a small town gay bar to me. The girls in one corner, the leather boys in another corner, etc. Kinda fun for a change.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:11 am

For my money it's Green Carnation in London, if you want higher end. For more mainstream Village.... But yard for yard it's hard to go wrong in Soho as there are so many bars so close together!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by grumpymonkey
In LA, I like East/West a lot. I don't know why it's not packed to overflowing. It's lounge-y, very cool, and they've got an intelligently-stocked bar. Maybe it's just not "LA" enough for the WeHo crowd, but I like it a lot.
I like east/west, it's just never that busy whenever i go in there. I love the patio at Mickeys in the late afternoon on weekends. Another bar I love to go to in WEHO is fiesta cantana. While it isn't a gay bar, it has quite a few gay patrons, and the bartender that I like (who pours the drinks STRONG) is gay and always nice. FIesta cantana is nice because they have happy hours from 4 to 8 and 10 to midnight EVERY day with 2 for 1 drinks or you can chose to have a drink poured twice as strong instead. I like going there around 10:30 and 2 of the happy hour lemonade and sweet tea vodkas will get me feeling realy good and I don't need to drink as much at the other more expensive WEHO bars.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT,1.4MM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I will have to check out industry next time I am there.

Do any of the new york people know what is going on with Axel hotel in hells kitchen? Huffington post had an article a year ago that it was to open in 2011 in HK:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_415103.html

I realy like their Barcelona property.
We're staiyng at the Axel Hotel in Barcelona in May. Good to know it's well liked. Hope we enjoy it also!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by dugknight
We're staiyng at the Axel Hotel in Barcelona in May. Good to know it's well liked. Hope we enjoy it also!
We stayed there in May 2005 for my fortieth, booked the suite and had a great time. Very friendly and attentive (and cute) staff, very clean and modern hotel.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
FIesta cantana is nice because they have happy hours from 4 to 8 and 10 to midnight EVERY day
I've never heard of a bar with a split happy hour. Is it common in LA?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
I've never heard of a bar with a split happy hour. Is it common in LA?
I am actually in WEHO right now for the weekend, but it is the only bar I have ever heard of doing it. I got in too late last night to make the second happy hour, but at 1 a.m. the place was PACKED. The only thing I can think of is that people that are there for dinner or the first happy hour will stay and drink at the regular bar prices (and they pour the drinks strong anyway) or the maybe with the 10 to midnight happy hour (which is late for a happy hour) people will go there instead of one of the many bars in the area for the cheap drink prices for those 2 hours and end up staying instead of trying to get into one of the other bars (which will probably be a lot more crowded and more likely to have a wait at midnight instead of 10)
Old May 9, 2011, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Hit Brooklyn's Sugarland this weekend on the north side of North 9th Street between Driggs Avenue and Roebling - music was good, crowd was young and pretty and the staff was polite. It's not a place that seems all that weird or edgy (as Williamsburg is supposed to go, but can be as suburban as Long Island), but given the fact that the Roxy folded, how many gay dance clubs are left? Bear in mind that the crowd is definitely gay-ish but mixed with heterosexuals. Sort of reminded me of the DNA Lounge in San Francisco. Reasonable cover. Recommended.

Last edited by anonplz; May 9, 2011 at 1:39 pm
Old May 11, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, Starwood. Previously AA Gold and United Premier Gold, and OnePass
Originally Posted by anonplz
Hit Brooklyn's Sugarland this weekend on the north side of North 9th Street between Driggs Avenue and Roebling - music was good, crowd was young and pretty and the staff was polite. It's not a place that seems all that weird or edgy (as Williamsburg is supposed to go, but can be as suburban as Long Island), but given the fact that the Roxy folded, how many gay dance clubs are left? Bear in mind that the crowd is definitely gay-ish but mixed with heterosexuals. Sort of reminded me of the DNA Lounge in San Francisco. Reasonable cover. Recommended.
That sounds pretty much a lot like Williamsburg's other gay bar- Metropolitan. Williamsburg isn't specifically going for edgy or weird, it's more of a hipster scene, which for gay bars means looking indistinguishable from straight bars, I think.

Last edited by InfoMofo; May 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm
Old May 11, 2011, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InfoMofo
That sounds pretty much a lot like Williamsburg's other gay bar- Metropolitan. Williamsburg isn't specifically going for edgy or weird, it's more of a hipster scene, which for gay bars means looking indistinguishable from straight bars, I think.
Metropolitan is more dive-y, but has a very popular Sunday barbecue, sort of like The Eagle, but alas, it's not in "the city".
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: TG P / SPG (woftam) G / Priority Club P
Favoite bar anywhere? Harry's Bar, Silom, Bangkok. July 1985.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I have had some great times at The Connection in Louisville. It has a huge (300 or more seat)theater with three different drag shows a night on weekends, a video bar, a large dance club area with good non-circuity music and an all- around good vibe. In my evil younger days the Cove in Atlanta was my favorite bar on Earth. I would stumble out of Backstreet at 6AM and head over there to complete my night(day?)of debauchery. Oh the memories.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.