Search

Proper German food in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBD , FBG
Proper German food in FRA

Hi,

I was watching Bourdain in his Berlin episode last night, and I’m flying through FRA in a couple of weeks.
Does anyone know if there are any restaurants in the airport that serve the German food he’s eating here:

It looks delicious !
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Eisbein? Wouldn't call that delicious...
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Because Eisbein ist an acquired taste you are unlikely to find it in restaurants at public places that cater to faster dining at airports. The Paulaner in the Squaire above the railway station opposite FRA will have the Bavarian grilled version of Eisbein called Schweinshaxe.

Unsere Speisen - Paulaner in the Squaire - Paulaner in the Squaire
bitterproffit and seawolf like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you, will definitively try out 👍🏻
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
The second thing that Bourdain mentions is called a "Wiener Schnitzel". You can get the real version at Paulaner's mentioned above (made out of veal meat), or the cheaper pork meat variety called a "Schnitzel Wiener Art".

But if you find the time, get out of the airport, take the S8/S9 from the airport to Hauptwache and then take S3/S4/S5/S6 to Lokalbahnhof and walk a few meters to Germania/Kanonesteppel/Feuerrädchen and order a "Frankfurter Schnitzel", which is a Schnitzel Wiener Art with baked potatoes and the Frankfurt green sauce out of seven local herbs. Delicious.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SunshineStay
The second thing that Bourdain mentions is called a "Wiener Schnitzel". You can get the real version at Paulaner's mentioned above (made out of veal meat), or the cheaper pork meat variety called a "Schnitzel Wiener Art".

But if you find the time, get out of the airport, take the S8/S9 from the airport to Hauptwache and then take S3/S4/S5/S6 to Lokalbahnhof and walk a few meters to Germania/Kanonesteppel/Feuerrädchen and order a "Frankfurter Schnitzel", which is a Schnitzel Wiener Art with baked potatoes and the Frankfurt green sauce out of seven local herbs. Delicious.
Sounds mouthwatering
i have 7 hours so I’ll jump in taxi and head over.
thanks for the tip !
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by SunshineStay
The one and only place for Wiener Schnitzel at FRA is the FCT ((c) every FT trip report).

Edited to add: Wagner Apfelwein in Sachsenhausen has all the pork you need (and then some): http://www.apfelwein-wagner.com/en/menu/menu.html
andrewstahl and seawolf like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:51 am

But even they don't have 'Eisbein'

Frankfurter Spezialitäten

Gegrillte Schweinshaxe mit Bratkartoffeln und Salat
Gegrilltes Schäufelchen mit Sauerkraut
Gegrilltes Leiterchen mit Sauerkraut

I think Eisbein is so 'special' that hardly anyone dares to offer it.
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
But even they don't have 'Eisbein'

I think Eisbein is so 'special' that hardly anyone dares to offer it.
Boiled pork knuckle aka Eisbein is gross. Only East Germans or (at a stretch) Berliners eat that sort of stuff. Grilled pork knuckle on the other hand is lovely.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Boiled pork knuckle aka Eisbein is gross. Only East Germans or (at a stretch) Berliners eat that sort of stuff. Grilled pork knuckle on the other hand is lovely.
Boiled or grilled - it‘s crap...
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one and only place for Wiener Schnitzel at FRA is the FCT ((c) every FT trip report).
Haha, yes it's delicious there! But I'm also partial to Figlmueller in Vienna (natch), however touristy it might be.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Steigenberger Hotel at FRA has a great German restaurant directly behind the hotel. (Restaurant Unterschweinstiege)

I use to go there all the time with my Air Marshal buddies when they were flying in/out of FRA.

https://www.steigenberger.com/en/hot...rschweinstiege

I would also second the Paulaner's at the airport as well.

Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Also recommend Paulaner across from airport terminal by DB long distance train station or if you have time hours available, take S-bahn to Adolf Wagner at Schweizer Strasse 71, 60594
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Wagner is my favourite too. Plus they take Amex (unheard of for most German restaurants of this type!)

Edited to add: Wagner Apfelwein in Sachsenhausen has all the pork you need (and then some): Menu
andrewstahl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.