Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Withdraw Euros at Frankfurt airport?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Post Withdraw Euros at Frankfurt airport?

I am going to Germany in a couple of weeks and I am wondering what is the best way to get some cash in the airport. Should I bring some us dollars? For debit card, I only have citi priority. Is that good enough for getting cash without paying a lot of fees? Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Use a US debit card to withdraw cash from an ATM. Everything else is a scam, especially at the airport. Exchange rates are bad and they charge a service fee on top.
dj_jay_smith and offerendum like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
If you happen to be a BoA customer, you can use your debit card to withdraw at one of the gazillion Deutsche Bank ATMs at FRA airport without having to pay the standard usage fee for non-BoA ATMs.

EDIT: Reading comprehension fail on my part. You only got a DC from Citi. Then, you next-best bet might be a CC which doesn't charge a fee for withdrawals in foreign currencies?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by AW123
I am going to Germany in a couple of weeks and I am wondering what is the best way to get some cash in the airport. Should I bring some us dollars? For debit card, I only have citi priority. Is that good enough for getting cash without paying a lot of fees? Thanks!
Why would you bring U.S. dollars to Germany? Do not exchange money at your U.S.bank or any bank in a foreign country

The easiest, simplest way is:
1. Make sure that you have an ATM/Debit card from your U.S. bank.
2. Notify your bank prior to leaving as to which foreign countries you’ll be visiting and the dates.
3. Get the business card of your bank’s branch manager that has their phone number and email address.
(2 & 3 are based on past experience. Was not able to use my ATM card on two different trips to Germany. Wasn’t a problem during the same trip when I drove into Switzerland and Austria and used the card. According to my bank, they had experienced an uptick in fraud at German ATMs, so they had a hold on U.S. ATM cards at the time. On my second trip, I just emailed my branch manager and he had my card cleared for use.)

4. After you get to FRA, use one of the many bank ATM machines to withdraw Euros.

You will more than likely have to pay your bank a fee for each withdrawal, so don’t keep making €100 withdrawals. Make larger withdrawals. The bank service fees aren’t onerous. If you’re too concerned with the bank service fees, than wait until you’ve saved more money for your trip before going. Life’s too short to waste worrying about such a small thing.

5. Apply for a credit card with no foreign transaction fees.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Why would you bring U.S. dollars to Germany?
To have some form of cash if the card does not work? It's never a bad idea to bring cash in case card payments are no longer possible ( card issuer blocking a card after detecting fraudulent transactions; payment system being down; etc. ). If you only have one card, then it's good to have some cash on you that can be exchanged for local currency.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
To have some form of cash if the card does not work? It's never a bad idea to bring cash in case card payments are no longer possible ( card issuer blocking a card after detecting fraudulent transactions; payment system being down; etc. ). If you only have one card, then it's good to have some cash on you that can be exchanged for local currency.
Which is why I also said to bring a “no foreign transaction fee” credit card. So, as mentioned above, 2 cards, not one. One ATM/Debit card and one no fee credit card. If they want to be more comfortable, bring another credit card or 2. If they want to bring some cash, so be it.

I frequently fly overseas with less than $100 USD because I’ve never needed USD. When I first started traveling to Europe I used to exchange money in the European banks - before I knew better. A real noob mistake. The OP will probably arrive at FRA in the morning and if he/she tries an ATM immediately, they will know if the ATM card works. If not, shoot an email to their branch manager and the card should be working by mid-afternoon in Europe. In the meantime, they can use their credit card, if necessary. This is all based on my real world experiences. YMMV.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by WorldLux
But wouldn't it be a better idea to bring Euro? Shouldn't be a problem to get them at home.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

If you are talking to a bank like Chase/Citi, you will find it out that the exchange ratio is terrible.
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks flymsy for your advice! I will see how to optimize the withdrawn fee. Do you know whether there exists ATMs that do not charge ATM fee?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Thanks flymsy for your advice! I will see how to optimize the withdrawn fee. Do you know whether there exists ATMs that do not charge ATM fee?
It's got nothing to do with the ATM. They will all charge a fee for foreign accounts.

Whether the fee is waived or not will depend on your bank and/or the particular card you are using. The solution has already been outlined by other posters.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:47 pm

I am not aware of any banks that do not charge to use their ATMs. Make sure that you always use a bank owned ATM. Independently owned ATMs are a ripoff. Just resolve to yourself that you will be paying some fee to use an ATM and get on with enjoying your trip. As the old saying goes, “There is no free lunch.”.

I just checked my latest bank statement which included my last trip. For one withdrawal in Austria, I paid $4.33; another in Switzerland was $4.06. Really insignificant amounts.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:56 pm

Just go find a nearest Deutsche Post office. They have ATMs at nearly every branch (that's what I did, on my recent Paris-Luzern-Milan-Firenze-Roma cities train jaunt, two weeks ago). Exchange rates are ALWAYS official (even buy or sell) and ATM fees are a pittance, compared to any bank (luckily I have a USAA acct; flat 1% fee). I NEVER set foot on any bank in EU..nor any currency exchange places.

Last edited by jagat101; Oct 19, 2018 at 3:55 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:37 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have used my Capital One 360 ATM card in a dozen countries to withdraw money from foreign ATMs. (This is NOT a credit card) The transactions are WITHOUT FEES and they post at interbank rates!

I love that ATM card.

Regarding taking US cash: I usually have US$100 in nice bills in my billfold. Upon arrival in Budapest once, the ATMs were out of cash! I was so happy to have US$ to exchange so that I could pay for my taxi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.