View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 18, 11:15 am
FLYMSY

Originally Posted by AW123 View Post
I am going to Germany in a couple of weeks and I am wondering what is the best way to get some cash in the airport. Should I bring some us dollars? For debit card, I only have citi priority. Is that good enough for getting cash without paying a lot of fees? Thanks!
Why would you bring U.S. dollars to Germany? Do not exchange money at your U.S.bank or any bank in a foreign country

The easiest, simplest way is:
1. Make sure that you have an ATM/Debit card from your U.S. bank.
2. Notify your bank prior to leaving as to which foreign countries youíll be visiting and the dates.
3. Get the business card of your bankís branch manager that has their phone number and email address.
(2 & 3 are based on past experience. Was not able to use my ATM card on two different trips to Germany. Wasnít a problem during the same trip when I drove into Switzerland and Austria and used the card. According to my bank, they had experienced an uptick in fraud at German ATMs, so they had a hold on U.S. ATM cards at the time. On my second trip, I just emailed my branch manager and he had my card cleared for use.)

4. After you get to FRA, use one of the many bank ATM machines to withdraw Euros.

You will more than likely have to pay your bank a fee for each withdrawal, so donít keep making Ä100 withdrawals. Make larger withdrawals. The bank service fees arenít onerous. If youíre too concerned with the bank service fees, than wait until youíve saved more money for your trip before going. Lifeís too short to waste worrying about such a small thing.

5. Apply for a credit card with no foreign transaction fees.

Enjoy your trip.