Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Dual National: Travel to Germany from 3rd country on new passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:46 am
Original Poster

I am a dual national of Germany and the US living in Taiwan on their US passport. I recently renewed my German passport, however, and will be traveling to Germany in November. Between now and then, I will be traveling to another Asian country.

My travel agent is asking me, quite persistently, to use my German passport for my next Asian trip. But she hasn't been able to really explain why, partly because of the language barrier. It's clear, however, that she'd rather I not be using a brand new passport, never before used to travel, in November.

I don't see any reason why that would be necessary, but am I missing something? Is there some reason I should use my German passport now, especially given that I'll need to re-enter Taiwan on my US passport regardless, since that's the one associated with my residency/work permit?
​​​​
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:20 am

There are thousands of German passports issued by German embassies abroad every year. Many of these will probably be used for the first time on a trip back home to Germany. Why would there be an issue using a brand-new German passport to enter Germany?

In other words, what your agent is saying doesn't make any sense.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:43 pm

I have used two brand new German passports issued by an embassy abroad with zero stamps to enter Germany before, obviously without any issues.

Not sure what the travel agent is getting at...maybe anyone else has a theory?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Can´t see any reason why there should be a problem.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA
Bogus issue +1. On second San Francisco issued DE passport myself. Never any issues entereing DE with either. For travelling/shopping/etc. in Germany it might be useful though to also get a german ID card. If i remember correctly, they stopped issuing them to expats until ?2013?. Since then they where available again.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:18 pm

Are you saying that identity cards were available to German expats at some time in the dim and distant past, but then stopped being available? If that is the case then this must have been in the very very very distant past - like: 40+ years ago. To my knowledge identity cards were not available to expats at any time between 1979 and 2009. From 2009 onwards German expats were able to obtain identity cards but had to travel to Germany to apply. Since 2013 identity cards have been available from some German embassies abroad.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Are you saying that identity cards were available to German expats at some time in the dim and distant past, but then stopped being available? If that is the case then this must have been in the very very very distant past - like: 40+ years ago. To my knowledge identity cards were not available to expats at any time between 1979 and 2009. From 2009 onwards German expats were able to obtain identity cards but had to travel to Germany to apply. Since 2013 identity cards have been available from some German embassies abroad.
Thanks for clarifying. I moved out of county around 2000 and learned only about the availability from consulate since 2013. Did not mean to imply that this was available in before.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Correct. What the OP's TA is telling him makes no sense at all without further explanation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.