Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Any way to minimize wait at Munich airport car rental counter?

Old Oct 26, 17, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

From what I have been reading , the waits seem significant at the car rental counters. We are travelling Aug 2018, arriving at 1030 am on a Saturday at Munich airport. Right now I have a rental booked with Avis. If i join their free preferred group, does that grant you any special line access? Or do they have computer kiosks? I don't want to spend hours in line. Is it better to book through a different agency? (Would prefer in the terminal, and not a shuttle.) Would appreciate any advice, thanks!
Old Oct 26, 17, 4:53 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Never had a problem (always main business times) and I doubt it will be too bad as very few business travelers will be at the counters. Never heard something about hours in line. Were did you read it?

I have status at all rental companies through Amex so this helps too. Also you can do quick pick up at some rental companies without status. Even basis programm may help.
Old Oct 26, 17, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
The only time I've seen a long line at Avis MUC was arriving on an Octoberfest weekend and the counter happened to be short-handed that day with somebody out sick. Other times I've never had to wait for more than 1 or 2 people ahead of me.

Joining Avis Preferred does help with the wait time. There is usually a separate Preferred line at the counter with a very short or no wait.
Old Oct 26, 17, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Ahh thank you!

I was doing a search on this and other forums about insurance on car rentals and started seeing a few posts about hour plus waits .. so maybe they were just a fluke. I will join the preferred just in case. Thanks again!
Old Oct 28, 17, 5:49 pm

Last time I got a car from MUC (summer, Sunday afternoon) a few of the companies had very, very long lines. I don't remember the companies, but they were major names (Sixt, Hertz or Avis).

I would look into the programs that might allow you to skip the lines. Not sure if any have the 'go straight to the cars' at MUC. You could also consider making two reservations and going to whichever has the shortest line.
Old Oct 28, 17, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
I picked up a reserved car at Munich Avis on a Saturday afternoon this past August. It was very busy. Spent more than an hour in Avis Preferred line. Line was six or seven deep when I arrived. The regular, non-preferred line was much worse. Sign up for Preferred.
Old Oct 29, 17, 4:56 pm
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
Not sure if any have the 'go straight to the cars' at MUC. You could also consider making two reservations and going to whichever has the shortest line.
Sixt and Hertz have
Old Oct 30, 17, 6:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Avis preferred and Hertz Gold don't need to stand in line at the counter but directly to the parking lot to pick up their cars. In fact both Avis and Gold have dismantled their elite counters because of this. My only gripe with Hertz is you have to live with whatever car they assign you in the gold lot as the agent there has next to no alternatives available in the gold lot as all are usually already assigned.

Sixt has a separate counter with no wait for Plat and Diamond, as do Europcar, but the latter closes the separate counter on weekends.
Old Oct 31, 17, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Sometimes in the summer the lines get very long. I had a DYKWIA behind me in the Plat/Dia section of Sixt who complained that it cannot be that seven people were ahead of him. Then he was shown the regular lines...about 80 people waiting for four counters.
Old Dec 11, 17, 12:36 am

Programs: Carte Bienvenue
Hi,

You can easily jump onto the S-Bahn and go to any other car rental station. The first one that comes to mind would be Hauptbanhof but I'm sure there are more. We picked up a car from Europcar there last June at had barely any wait. They also have an agency on Frauenstrasse 18 that would be in walking distance from the S-Bahn Isartor.
mag likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: