Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Oktoberfest 2016

Oktoberfest 2016

Old May 16, 2015, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Oktoberfest 2016

Hello All,

I wanted to plan a gateaway to Munich for Okotober Fest 2016. Would fly out of ORD to Munich for 3-4 days and than rent a car to visit Poland for 2 weeks. Fly out of either Warsaw or Krakow back to ORD. Since I have ample time, I wanted to complete this trip using miles/points. I was hoping to get recommendations on which airline and hotel I should target for points churning. I appreciate any and all advice. Trip would include myself, wife.

Sincerely,
Old May 17, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
You must fly from Munich to Poland as it will be difficult to find a rental car which you can drive to Poland. Also with a one way rental MUC - Poland you can buy the car
Old May 17, 2015, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Indeed. All of the major rental companies I can think of don't allow cars to be taken to Poland, since there is significant concern (justified) that these cars will never make it back.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

That makes sense. Which reward points will give me the best options for booking this travel?
Old May 18, 2015, 4:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hotels with points in Munich during Octoberfest: no chance, my friend. You can periodically check if anything opens up (it did for fellow FTers last year), but not really bank on it. Flights should be available without issues.

Hertz often has cars in Munich that need to be taken back to their origin countries. You can check the last minute status here: http://www.hertz-transfer.de/index.php?lang=GB

Otherwise I would just book a flight/train to Poland and start my rental there.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Regarding hotels with points availability, much to my surprise, I am finding points nights for 2015. I've checked IHG, Club Carlson and Marriott. Booked a trip to Germany several weeks ago when a good airfare popped up. Didn't realize that the dates I chose happen to be during Oktober Fest 2015 (initially naively assumed Oktoberfest was in October). So I am able to get opening weekend on points--would have skipped it if I had to pay those hotel rates.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Indeed. All of the major rental companies I can think of don't allow cars to be taken to Poland, since there is significant concern (justified) that these cars will never make it back.
This is fortunately utterly nonsense. Hertz eg only prohibits you from taking BMW and Mercedes and certain top models into Poland, Sixt and National add Audi and VW to the list. The problem however are one way rentals. They are either not possible or carry a substantial surcharge.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:24 am
Suspended

So not utterly nonsense then...
Old May 23, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sentence is obviously utterly nonsense. I frequently take Hertz cars into Poland without any issue legally and practically. Simply review the rental conditions and you will see what you can do. We are no longer in the year 1980 but in the Poland of 2015. Some people need to understand that and forget about such backwards perspectives.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:40 am
Suspended

You give the impression that you can just rent a car in Germany and drive into Poland. This is not the case for a large subsection of the cars offered for rental. As an example, here is what Sixt has to say about it:

Cross Border Rentals & Territorial Restrictions
Cross Border Rentals are allowed to the following countries - inclusive islands:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Vatikan City.
Cross Border Rentals are allowed to the following countries but not with Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW, Porsche and all Jeeps/Offroader:
Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia.

It is allowed to enter the last-mentioned countries with all vehicles of car groups IVMR, SVMR and FVMR (including Mercedes-Benz Vito, Mercedes-Benz Viano), vans and trucks.
In case of offence against Cross Border & Territorial Restrictions all insurances lose their validity.
Source:
http://www.sixt.co.uk/rental-service...l-information/

Hertz is not dissimilar:

Hertz vehicles cannot be driven into and/or dropped off in any African, American, Asian, or Middle Eastern country, nor in Albania, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, New Zealand, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.

Hertz vehicles may be driven to, but not dropped off in Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

Exceptions: All Mercedes and BMW models, convertibles, SUVs, trucks and cargo vans, as well as all Hertz Prestige Collection and Fun Collection vehicles cannot be driven into or dropped off in Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

All Mercedes and BMW models, Convertibles and SUVs, as well as all Hertz Prestige Collection and Fun Collection vehicles cannot be driven into or dropped off in Italy.
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...TIONS&EOAG=MUC

I'm not saying that you can't find a rental car to drive into Poland, but you generally can't drop off, and you are restricted in terms of which cars are allowed in in the first place. This is not the case for, say Belgium.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You put in a long statement what I put in four lines. Certain brands can't be taken into Poland (the same is true for other countries like Italy). Your statement was however that no major rental car company will allow cars to be taken into Poland. And this is certainly the policy of the 80th.

Cross border rentals is a different thing. I personally would not even take a rental car from Germany to Austria, since they charge you an arm and a leg for the cross border rental, even if you rent eg. at SZG and return the car in Freilassing.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; May 24, 2015 at 2:11 pm
Old May 24, 2015, 1:58 pm
Suspended

OK, so I guess in the end we agree (or at least don't disagree). My original statement was a bit too heavy-handed. My point was, as I pointed out later, that you shouldn't assume that you can take any old rental car into Poland (or any CEE country, including, in many cases, Italy) since anything halfway decent is barred. And the reason it's not permitted is not due to the condition of the road or anything like that...
Old May 24, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so I guess in the end we agree (or at least don't disagree). My original statement was a bit too heavy-handed. My point was, as I pointed out later, that you shouldn't assume that you can take any old rental car into Poland (or any CEE country, including, in many cases, Italy) since anything halfway decent is barred. And the reason it's not permitted is not due to the condition of the road or anything like that...
True. The problem however is not Poland. You will find tons of "halfway decent" cars in Warsaw. The problems are caused by the thieves from the Ukraine and other more Eastern countries the Polish are more than angry about. The Poland of 2015 is a more than halfway decent country I personally like a lot.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Hotels with points in Munich during Octoberfest: no chance, my friend. You can periodically check if anything opens up (it did for fellow FTers last year), but not really bank on it. Flights should be available without issues.

Hertz often has cars in Munich that need to be taken back to their origin countries. You can check the last minute status here: http://www.hertz-transfer.de/index.php?lang=GB

Otherwise I would just book a flight/train to Poland and start my rental there.
I have stayed at Marriott's in Munich several times for Oktoberfest visits. Not as difficult as you might think....though agree it is not a sure thing. As always, flexibility with dates helps a lot.
The downtown location might be tough, but the full service Marriott is just a short U/S Bahn ride away and made a great base for a short visit. Certainly better then ~$400 a night anywhere around Munich.

I also was able to score award flights with United miles, though it was in economy class.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:24 am
Original Poster

I guess I have a lot of planning ahead of me. Think we'll just take the train from Munich to Berlin to Krakow rather than flying. We'll rent the car there for the couple weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.