Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oktoberfest 2016

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Can this thread be correctly renamed "Oktoberfest 2016" instead of Oktober Fest 2016? The space throws off proper searches and after all, even if you aint German, that's how the word is sposta be written.

Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Can this thread be correctly renamed "Oktoberfest 2016" instead of Oktober Fest 2016? The space throws off proper searches and after all, even if you aint German, that's how the word is sposta be written.

I'm not even sure why someone thought it was a good idea to merge it with the 2015 thread?

Surely a different year is worthy of its own thread, no?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I'm not even sure why someone thought it was a good idea to merge it with the 2015 thread?

Surely a different year is worthy of its own thread, no?
I had started my own thread the other day and it was merged i to this one
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Neuschwanstein Castle is definitely worth doing. In case you had not known already, it is a good idea to book your tour in advance --you need to book it at least 2 days in advance if memory serves. You may want to call or write them.

Friends and I had been in 2015 and were able to book it while we were in Munich for a few days later in our trip.

When I went to the area this past summer with my family, we did not book and drove out there from where we were staying in Garmisch. We did not get in but it turned out our kids were fine with just seeing everything from the outside anyway. The tour inside might have been a bit boring for them, but the inside is truly beautiful so I made them promise to come back here one day when they get older. And of course summers are far more busy with loads of tourists.

To get to the castle you can take a train from the main station in Munich and it takes about 2+ hrs one way to get there. There's a connection and depending on construction and other factors, a short bus ride also included with the ticket, but it's all quite easy.

In my experience, German trains are quite nice, but for some reason I have yet to figure out, none of them have circulated air and they rarely if ever run any fan or air co, or open any windows. I cannot figure this out and it was a bit hard to get used to that. Granted, Sept can be cooler, it can get a bit stuffy in the trains. A small pack with water and a snack cant hurt but I do not know if rules have changed on what you can bring with you into the castle or where, or if one can store anything while there.

I know at Oktoberfest itself, it is tightening up... I read some security measures stating no backpacks, etc and so who knows about other attractions.

Another area you could consider on a shorter train ride is Garmisch. And if you do that, continue on to check out the Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak.

In the past we have taken a gondola up and then hiked down an easy walking path to take another one down. My family and I took a tram up to the highest point this past July 15. The glacier on top had sledding. It was even snowing a bit up there. We wore lightweight long pants and a windbreaker but were not cold. When we got to the bottom we also checked out the Eibsee lake, and the kiddoes jumped in for a warm swim into its crystal clear water.

Nonetheless, whichever of these things you do, every stop, rest spot, area, station, or place you would think to go has some sort of place where you can buy a nice German beer and a big pretzel, and all bathrooms are clean (that I have seen). And of course the prices for these things is low and cannot be beat!
Good deal. I've done a little bit of research on getting to the castle by train then bus/taxi. Seems pretty straight toward. We will be staying at the le meridien, so we will be pretty close to all of the action and the train station. Thanks for all of the advise.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mustang281man
Good deal. I've done a little bit of research on getting to the castle by train then bus/taxi. Seems pretty straight toward. We will be staying at the le meridien, so we will be pretty close to all of the action and the train station. Thanks for all of the advise.
Enjoy! Train should work.

Le meridien has an awesome brekky buffet. If you have plat its free for your room. If not id almost pay for it. Definitely need to fill up before the wiesn.

They also finished with their indoor pool refurb in early July. Just in case you feel the urge to swim out the booze
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.google.com/search?q=drun...rzp1nK5BZZM%3A
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by mustang281man
I'll be at the Le Meridien from 20-22 September before heading down to Garmisch for a few days.

Le meridien has an awesome brekky buffet. If you have plat its free for your room. If not id almost pay for it. Definitely need to fill up before the wiesn.
I'm only Gold, but we may have to give it a try one day (maybe the morning after our bit Fest day).
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So in other news, I have bought and downloaded a ton of Oktoberfest tunes from all the greats to some of the lesser known ones. I would be willing to share some but I am also looking for some I do not know the names of.

Last year I filmed this short clip of a local area band playing something I have heard there before but have no idea what it is or what it's called.

Here is my short film:

Does anyone have any idea? Or where I could possibly look or ask to find out?

Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: United, Hyatt, American, Hilton
Hallo!
I'll be in Munich September 15-23, attending the Rosaweisn on Sunday the 18th. Looking forward to a great trip!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ChiTider
Hallo!
I'll be in Munich September 15-23, attending the Rosaweisn on Sunday the 18th. Looking forward to a great trip!
Didn't know there is such thing. Interesting😀
Old Sep 10, 2016, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So in other news, I have bought and downloaded a ton of Oktoberfest tunes from all the greats to some of the lesser known ones. I would be willing to share some but I am also looking for some I do not know the names of.

Last year I filmed this short clip of a local area band playing something I have heard there before but have no idea what it is or what it's called.

Here is my short film:

Oktoberfest 2015! 025 - YouTube

Does anyone have any idea? Or where I could possibly look or ask to find out?

Thanks!
"Ich war noch niemals in New York"
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by LondonElite
"Ich war noch niemals in New York"
Are you sure? I donīt think it is.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It was just a suggestion for more OFest music, no idea what is on the link!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT
On the topic of songs, I've always wondered: are all German rivers considered green? Or only the Isar?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by linglingfool
On the topic of songs, I've always wondered: are all German rivers considered green? Or only the Isar?
Not every river is green. But we try.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.