Reload this Page >

Oktoberfest 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oktoberfest 2016

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The Hilton City is on top of the S-Bahn, but sucks if you want to the Wiesn. Otherwise its the best bang for the buck in Munich in terms of location.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Time to give this thread a bump! Maybe also start a roll call?

I was able to get in on a deal for a business trip i need to take and recently discovered it overlaps beautifully with Oktoberfest.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...1600-a-13.html

I will be in Berlin and Hannover. Not Munich but after some casual research it sounds like there is great partying to be had.

I have been to Hofbrauhaus & Augestiner Munich; but not during oktoberfest; so i have a general idea of the environment.

Any pro tips on where to attend. I will be staying at the IC Berlin and CP Hannover. What should i expect regarding seating for 2 at either location; tickets/reservation? Should we plan on eating elsewhere and attending for a few brews and stand?

Also; i know; totally american of me; Im super excited about Stone brewery opening in Berlin. I have been to the Escondido, California location and it was great. Anybody visited yet?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Two won't need a reservation, you just have to be there early, warm up at the Augustiner and then find a tent of your liking around 6pm.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPSKI
I will be in Berlin and Hannover. Not Munich but after some casual research it sounds like there is great partying to be had.

I have been to Hofbrauhaus & Augestiner Munich; but not during oktoberfest; so i have a general idea of the environment.

Any pro tips on where to attend. I will be staying at the IC Berlin and CP Hannover. What should i expect regarding seating for 2 at either location; tickets/reservation? Should we plan on eating elsewhere and attending for a few brews and stand?
I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you going to Munich or not? And I assume you are asking about the two restaurants/beer halls rather locations at the Wiesn. You won't need reservations at either, but it won't hurt either.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you going to Munich or not? And I assume you are asking about the two restaurants/beer halls rather locations at the Wiesn. You won't need reservations at either, but it won't hurt either.
I read post 32 as saying that MSPSKI is looking for Munich-style celebrations in the two cities he is visiting on his upcoming trip, Berlin and Hannover.

His mention of the Hofbrauhaus and the Augustiner were to indicate past visits to Munich during non-Octoberfest times (to indicate familiarity with the general atmosphere).

Correct, MSPSKI? Please clarify.

(Also see post 126 in the thread MSPSKI has linked)

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jun 27, 2016 at 4:26 am
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The Hofbrauhaus in Berlin is not worth going to (find some other O-fest themed event) and I can't comment on Hannover's beer halls.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:39 am

Sorry For the confusion. Late night typing...

Non-Nonrev read it right- You are correct.
LondonElite- thank you. places to stay away from are just as good as places to visit!

Wow some quick responses here. Thanks guys.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Sorry For the confusion. Late night typing...

Non-Nonrev read it right- You are correct.
LondonElite- thank you. places to stay away from are just as good as places to visit!

Wow some quick responses here. Thanks guys.
Here we go re: Hannover. Says it is the third largest:

http://www.germany-travel.org/oktoberfest-hannover/

2015 page (try running it thru Google Translate)

http://www.oktoberfest-hannover.de/
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Here we go re: Hannover. Says it is the third largest:

http://www.germany-travel.org/oktoberfest-hannover/

2015 page (try running it thru Google Translate)

http://www.oktoberfest-hannover.de/
I had missed that first link; some good stuff on there.
The second one i found but as you noted is not updated yet.

I did find it funny that they noted its the third largest; according to wikipedia hannover is the second largest while berlin is the largest outside of munich. conflicting info eh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest_celebrations

The limited understanding i had was that some sort of preplanning and reservations was needed to really enjoy the festival. Its sounding more like you can show up and wing it; which is much more my style.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had missed that first link; some good stuff on there. The second one i found but as you noted is not updated yet. I did find it funny that they noted its the third largest; according to wikipedia hannover is the second largest while berlin is the largest outside of munich. Conflicting info eh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest_celebrations

The limited understanding i had was that some sort of preplanning and reservations was needed to really enjoy the festival. Its sounding more like you can show up and wing it; which is much more my style.
Conflicting due to local pride, no doubt.

If the 2015 site doesn'the update soon, try an e-mail to an address off the old site. Do the salutation in German and ask for the response in English. People are usually very glad to reply.

Also, are you familiar with Autostadt in Wolfsburg? It is one of the main ICE lines between Hannover and Berlin and it is worth a visit, especially if you like cars.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Oktoberfest 2016

Not sure if this is the right place to put this post and MOD can move it if need be, but a few of us will be in Munich again for Oktoberfest and I wanted to see who else might be around and willing to meet up.

This will be my fourth time to the Oktoberfest. This Sept 29 a friend and I check in to rooms booked with spg points at the Le Meridien Munich and we stay til Oct 3. I fly MUC-BOS non stop home on LH in biz, and while we are there we plan to do a few things:

Tents: we found if you get up, have a good brekky, don your lederhosen or dirndl and saunter over to the tents at around 10-11am you do not need reservations and can walk in and generally find a table for your group to enjoy the all the well-known places fill up. By noon the bands come in and begin playing all the German hits. I have even bought/downloaded a ton of them and would be willing to share the tunes I have to get you psyched. If you pace yourself and eat pretzels and chicken and sausages with your litres, you can enjoy a few and walk out of there mid afternoon still alive and well. Then relax or something and go out to eat at one of the many Augusteiner restaurants around town. We plan to hit the tents at least twice and likely three times. From what we learned, weekends are harder and nights are res only. And they dont likely play the oompah music--it could be more club music so yah you dont need that.

Sites: there is a lot to do and see around Munich and you can book third reich tours, tours to lakes, historic sites, or visit museums and gardens. You can take a train to castles or mountains. For details, ask me here and I will get out my notes and post it. This time, my friend and I want to go see Dachau too. I think we need to do that.

Weather and dress: shorts or jeans, good walking shoes or sneakers, traditional dress--which you can get there on the spot too.

Costs: I really didnt find Munich to be expensive over all. In the beer tents, ya bring money because a litre can be like €10 but its a party so its ok. Everywhere else was quite reasonable.

Well, theres much more to tell but if anyone wants to meet up, let me know. Once I am there I will only have hotel wifi so now is the time to plan.

Currently BOS-MUC flights are avail on LH if booked through the UA site for 70k UA miles each way in business and 30k each way in econ and about $135 all in in taxes. Some of these are non stop.

Note: my friend and I are actually flying to Berlin first for one day so on Sept 27 at 5pm we fly to Berlin from Bos and arrive the morning of the 28th and then head to Munich on a cheap one way on the 29th.

Oktoberfest is fun no matter what. Hope some here can join us!

mm
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I definitely want to go for Oktoberfest at some point.

Sounds like fun!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I definitely want to go for Oktoberfest at some point.

Sounds like fun!

Come now

I think once spg becomes marriott i will be done
I think miles are harder to get
And currently its 140k rt ua to fly biz lh for me. I dont see that lasting

Security is getting tighter due to world idiots blowing things up. I think eventually, like in the usa, security will give businesses to impose fees and raise prices for things.

Cone now before all this happens
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I'll be there, but leave before you get there.

We fly AA J to DUB on 9/16. Spend a couple days there visiting family. Then we fly to Berlin on Ryanair, spend a couple days there. Take the train to Heidelberg, spend a night there. Then four nights in Munich for the 'fest.

I used points for pretty much everything. We got three nights in the Four Points at Olympiapark using SPG points.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I'll be there, but leave before you get there.

We fly AA J to DUB on 9/16. Spend a couple days there visiting family. Then we fly to Berlin on Ryanair, spend a couple days there. Take the train to Heidelberg, spend a night there. Then four nights in Munich for the 'fest.

I used points for pretty much everything. We got three nights in the Four Points at Olympiapark using SPG points.
Sounds fun!
Too bad we missed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.